My Favorite Slovak Restaurant

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2007
      In our Delphi message area Brenda posted a question......

      http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages/?msg=8755

      Her favorite restaurant was gone when she returned.

      As most Slovak-World members are well travelled, I'm sure many of us have a
      favorite ethnic restaurant.

      Please post your favorite restaurant this week.

      At minimum, your favorite restaraunt will get some free publicity!

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • Terrie Brown
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2007
        I would like to add Little Europe near Kenosha Wisconsin
        Terrie

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2007
          Hi, in "Rusyn Heritage" site, I have started a listing of restaurants, bakery's, meat stores, etc. for located across the US. I requested any listings from the Eastern European area because most foods will be similar. PLEASE feel free to add YOUR suggestions. I live in Virginia Beach now and must travel to my state of NJ to purchase the foods I am use to. However, when I travel I always take a cooler in case I find "our" foods. Therefore I had this on going list made up so EVERYONE can benefit when traveling. I always take the list with me and HEAD toward our great foods! PS On Rusyn Heritage site, Elaine has been putting the items on the list, I am not too good with the computer yet and she has been very helpful. PLEASE ADD TO THE LIST. thanks maxine sasala

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7, 2007
            Hello Maxine,
            Hope these Polish delis and Restaurants are useful to the list you are
            making. They were in a newspaper article. Theu are all in Passaic and Bergen
            counties in New Jersey, with the exception of the last one which is in Mahopac,
            New York.
            Noreen

            WHERE TO EAT

            GARFIELD

            Polish Kitchen
            324 River Drive
            973-772-1066

            Piast Meats & Provisions
            800 River Drive
            973-340-4722
            A second location is at 3 Passaic St.

            Polish-American Deli
            128 Jewell St.
            973-478-8140

            Golden Eagle
            452 Lanza Ave.
            973-546-2040

            Bania U Cygana (a bar with limited Polish take-out)
            175 Jewell St.
            973-772-4119

            WALLINGTON

            Chefski's
            360 Main Ave.
            973-471-4193

            Super Deli
            125 Wallington Ave.
            973-773-7277

            ELMWOOD PARK

            Podhale Polish Deli
            246 Market St.
            201-703-0065

            BUTLER

            Podhale Polish Deli
            1376 State Route 23
            973-838-3899

            MAHOPAC, NEW YORK
            Northwood Inn
            14 Frances Kiernan Place
            Mahopac/Carmel, New York 10512
            845-621-4222

            Hi, in "Rusyn Heritage" site, I have started a listing of restaurants,
            bakery's, meat stores, etc. for located across the US. I requested any listings
            from the Eastern European area because most foods will be similar. PLEASE feel
            free to add YOUR suggestions. I live in Virginia Beach now and must travel to
            my state of NJ to purchase the foods I am use to. However, when I travel I
            always take a cooler in case I find "our" foods. Therefore I had this on going
            list made up so EVERYONE can benefit when traveling. I always take the list
            with me and HEAD toward our great foods! PS On Rusyn Heritage site, Elaine
            has been putting the items on the list, I am not too good with the computer yet
            and she has been very helpful. PLEASE ADD TO THE LIST. thanks maxine sasala

          • Debra Strezenec
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
              Morning!

              Are there are good restaurants in Pennsylvania? We are moving to the Hawley / Dingman's Ferry area in August.....

              Thanks!
              Deb Strezenec

            • Gergely
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
                Where is Hawley/Dingman's Ferry?

                Just about any Italian Restuarant in Westmoreland County in SW PA will have Halubki and Pirohy on the menu. Go figure.

                Jack Gergely

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
                  Hawley / Dingmen's Ferry is north - by the Port Jervis - Matamoris PA triangle w/ New Jersey. About 45 minutes north of Stroudsburg - Wallenpaupack Lake is about 30 minutes from the house.

                  Gergely <gergely@...> wrote: Where is Hawley/Dingman's Ferry?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
                    Hi Noreen, thank you from ALL of US for sending us addresses of where we can eat and purchase "our" foods. Please, anyone else please send to "Rusyn Heritage" site.

                    Have a question. Since I have only used this site perhaps a year, have you guys ever discussed Rusyns or know who and what they are? I just found out about 2-3 years ago and I was totally SHOCKED. I did not know what a Rusyn was let alone be one. My grandparents always said I was "Slavic" and to me Slavic was a person from Slovakia. Boy was I wrong. I did not know a Rusyn was a nationality with people from Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia and that area who lived in the mountains. I also did not know they have their own customs, language, etc. There is a very good possibility that many of YOU are Rusyn and do not even know it. Check out the Rusyn Heritage site and see if you are. Just a wee bit of info. maxine sasala, Perth Amboy NJ Sorry if all of you already know this, just trying to be helpful.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 15, 2007
                      REPEATED MESSAGE Sorry guys-having trouble with my computer and I am not sure you received the following message, especially a thank you to Noreen. Also my question on Rusyns. Appreciate an answer- thanks maxine sasala

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 17, 2007
                        Hi Maxine,
                        It is a great project you have started logging all the Slavic restaurants
                        and delis.
                        When I visit my family in Virginia, we are hard pressed to find a place that
                        sells any Slavic foods. There is one Russian store in Fairfax county that
                        sells kielbasi and some Polish cookies and candies. That is about it. I
                        cannot believe that there are no Slavic people in Virginia, but where they buy
                        their food is a mystery to me.
                        I picture your project like a roadmap with little dots of "good food
                        places". :)
                        best,
                        Noreen

                      • Margo Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                          I vote for U palatina, the restaurant located on the first floor of the manor house in Bytca where the archives are housed. Nice atmosphere and delicious food.
                          Margo

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                            Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is Bytca? Have to put the State, Country etc. If you have anymore please add so we can all enjoy. maxine

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                              Bytca is in the extreme NW corner of SK, just a bit south of Zvolen.

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is
                              Bytca? Have to put the State, Country etc. If you have anymore
                              please add so we can all enjoy. maxine

                            • J Michutka
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                                re: Bytca--well, it's in the extreme NW corner, but nowhere near
                                Zvolen. Try west of Zilina.

                                Maxine, go to www.mapquest.com, click on "outside US and Canada",
                                choose "Slovakia" from the pull-down country menu, and then you can
                                type in whatever Slovak town/village you please, and call up a map.

                                The only mediocre meal I ever had in Slovakia was in Bytca, in a
                                pub / restaurant just off the town square. Glad to hear there's
                                someplace better to eat in the town.

                                Julie Michutka
                                jmm@...
                                On Jul 27, 2007, at 6:54 PM, amiak27 wrote:

                                > Bytca is in the extreme NW corner of SK, just a bit south of Zvolen.
                                >

                                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is
                                > Bytca?

                              • amiak27
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                                  Aw schuks,

                                  I have driven & railed through there often enough I would expect to
                                  get my Slovak ZZZ's straight by now! Thanks for catching that.

                                  Ron
                                  PS. For Harley motorcycle fans or others who have Harley drivers in
                                  the family, just west of Zilina is the "Chopper Club Vrutky" where you
                                  can stop for a meal or possibly a Harley Slovakia t-shirt.
                                  Unfortunately it is just a few hours from my family, so I know I can't
                                  eat there - I have to arrive hungry and I will leave well fed,
                                  normally with 3 days of food supply to get me to the Czech Republic.