Re: NCOD birthplace

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
      >> Some census records list NCOD
      >
      > No Country Of Birth.........

      It is NCO_D_, not "B" for "birth."

      It was an acronym provided by the Census Bureau to the census takers:

      In Census records, it stood for "No Code" -- meaning that the person
      gave a country of origin (or some other information) for which the
      Census Bureau provided no code. E.g., if someone said "Saxony," the
      census taker looked it up and entered _KSAX_. That was the code
      provided by the Census Bureau. If someone said "Czechoslovakia," the
      code was CZEC, Austria was AUST (as oposed to AUSL, which was
      Australia), Hungary was HUNG.

      But if someone said _Slovakia_, there was no code for it and the
      census takers' instructions were to enter NCOD in such instances.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 3:27 AM
        Martin,
        Thank you for the meaning of the entry NCOD on the census. I thought it was
        a code for a territory that was outside of the main, much like our
        Washington DC or the the Vatican and was considering that this may have been a code
        for a military area. It turned out to be nothing so historical or unusual.
        There were others using this code on the page and I wonder if these people
        insisted that they were Slovak and not Czechoslovakian. Previously, the census
        listed them as coming from Slovakland.
        Thank you.
        Noreen

        >>>It was an acronym provided by the Census Bureau to the census takers:

        >>>In Census records, it stood for "No Code" -- meaning that the person
        >>gave a country of origin (or some other information) for which the
        >>Census Bureau provided no code. E.g., if someone said "Saxony," the
        >>census taker looked it up and entered _KSAX_. That was the code
        >>provided by the Census Bureau. If someone said "Czechoslovakia,provi
        >>code was CZEC, Austria was AUST (as oposed to AUSL, which was
        >>Australia), Hungary was HUNG.

        >>But if someone said _Slovakia_, there was no code for it and the
        >>census takers' instructions were to enter NCOD in such instances.

        >>Martin

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14 5:27 PM
          > There were others using this code on the page and I wonder
          > if these people insisted that they were Slovak and not
          > Czechoslovakian. Previously, the census listed them as
          > coming from Slovakland.

          The initiative of the 1930 Census taker (or its absence) probably also
          played a role, Noreen -- to what degree s/he tried to determine an
          existing country if he heard a name of a territory for which he found
          no code, and also his and the polled person's familiarity with
          Europe's current and historical geography. It was probably faster to
          enter NCOD when the census taker heard something he had no clue about
          than start a discussion.

          _Slovakland_ appeared in the 1920 census, i.e. before the Census
          Bureau introduced the country codes. If someone born in Banska
          Bystrica said "Czecho-Slovakia," that's what the census taker entered,
          and when the polled person said Hungary or Austria or Slovakland, that
          became the entry.

          _Slovakland_ was a meaningful English rendition. Czecho-Slovakia
          consisted of 4 administrative units ("centrally administered states")
          between 1918-1939 that were called "lands" (zem), not "states" like in
          the US: Slovak Land (zem Slovenska), Czech Land, Sub-Carpathian Land,
          and Moravian-Silesian Land. Prague copied the term from Germany which
          still calls its federal states "lands."

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu