slovakian names Gyorgy Tracs Maria Tracs need translation help with writting

  • chance_darkeyes
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
      My grandmother is 96 and her father and mother were George Tkach
      1882-1967, Mary/Maria Durto Tkach died 1921. They came over to USA
      in 1909-1910. Because my grandmother was born in USA in 1910.
      Relatives were Anna Tkach (Anna also spelled it Kotch), and Michael
      Tkach 1877- 1946 are the people I am in search of. If anyone knows
      or has any clues please let me know. The town is Sacurrow and
      Zemplinski. Also a Mrs. Arkie married name and a Mrs. Holinko
      married name. They both had 4-5 children. I also think they are
      slavikic but their records on immigrantion of my grandfather says
      chezeckslovia and then others say Hungary. I am so confused. If
      anyone can tell me what language this prayer book has it in it might
      solve my problems. Also I would like to say what it says. Thanks so
      very much!

      This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers

      Motica Slovenska
      Nositerka Radu Republicky
      Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
      Slovakov Puyacevova 2
      Bratislova 1

      Attention: Anna Istvancinova

      Also

      Mary Kash
      Marca 16 20 0/0 7

      Rulobrnynkoi
      Poinyinykoi
      Moinyoc 7 Soi

      Ocera
      Slonska

      Thanks so much. Deborah
    • Marianne Petruska
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
        I'm sure you'll get several replies about "Tkach" being spelled "Tkacs" in
        Hungarian/Slovak records -- and it seems to be a common surname. (Your Anna
        probably Anglicized it to "Kotch" so those of non-Slavic backgrounds could
        pronounce it.)

        You'll also be told that "Czechoslovakia" was the combined Czech and Slovak
        republics, both of which had been part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.
        Zemplin is in Slovakia, so they'd be Slovak though they were born during the
        time that area was part of A-H.

        On 6/26/07, chance_darkeyes <chance_darkeyes@...> wrote:

        > My grandmother is 96 and her father and mother were George Tkach
        > 1882-1967, Mary/Maria Durto Tkach died 1921. They came over to USA
        > in 1909-1910. Because my grandmother was born in USA in 1910.
        > Relatives were Anna Tkach (Anna also spelled it Kotch), and Michael
        > Tkach 1877- 1946 are the people I am in search of. If anyone knows
        > or has any clues please let me know. The town is Sacurrow and
        > Zemplinski. Also a Mrs. Arkie married name and a Mrs. Holinko
        > married name. They both had 4-5 children. I also think they are
        > slavikic but their records on immigrantion of my grandfather says
        > chezeckslovia and then others say Hungary. I am so confused. If
        > anyone can tell me what language this prayer book has it in it might
        > solve my problems. Also I would like to say what it says. Thanks so
        > very much!
        >
        > This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers
        >
        > Motica Slovenska
        > Nositerka Radu Republicky
        > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
        > Slovakov Puyacevova 2
        > Bratislova 1
        >
        > Attention: Anna Istvancinova
        >
        > Also
        >
        > Mary Kash
        > Marca 16 20 0/0 7
        >
        > Rulobrnynkoi
        > Poinyinykoi
        > Moinyoc 7 Soi
        >
        > Ocera
        > Slonska
        >
        > Thanks so much. Deborah

      • Sinbad Schwartz
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "chance_darkeyes"
          <chance_darkeyes@...> wrote:

          > The town is Sacurrow and Zemplinski.....<

          The town is most probably Sac^urov. It was located in Zemplin County.
          It is SE of Presov and NW of Michalovce. I found one Tkac^(Tkach)in
          the Sac^urov phone listings.

          http://tinyurl.com/3eyzmg

          The writing appears to be Slovak but the spelling seems
          questionable. I believe "Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck" translate to
          something like Department for Foreign(?) It probably was the address
          of some government office in Bratislava.

          RU

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
            The lettering is probably old-fashioned and a bit ornate. Here's what the first part means:

            Motica Slovenska = Matica Slovenska [Slovak cultural institution]
            Nositerka Radu Republicky = Nositelka Radu Republiky(?) [Awarded the Order of the Republic]
            Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck Slovakov= Oddelenie pre Zahranicnych Slovakov" [Department for Slovaks living abroad]
            Puyacevova 2 = Pugacevova 2 [a street address]
            Bratislova 1 = Bratislava 1 [district #1 of Bratislava]

            I have no idea about this:
            > Rulobrnynkoi
            > Poinyinykoi
            > Moinyoc 7 Soi

            Could you scan it? Maybe I can figure it out if I see can see it for myself.

            <chance_darkeyes@...> wrote:

            > The town is Sacurrow and Zemplinski.....<

            The town is most probably Sac^urov. It was located in Zemplin County.
            It is SE of Presov and NW of Michalovce. I found one Tkac^(Tkach)in
            the Sac^urov phone listings.

            http://tinyurl.com/3eyzmg

            The writing appears to be Slovak but the spelling seems
            questionable. I believe "Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck" translate to
            something like Department for Foreign(?) It probably was the address
            of some government office in Bratislava.

            RU

            > This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers
            >
            > Motica Slovenska
            > Nositerka Radu Republicky
            > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
            > Slovakov Puyacevova 2
            > Bratislova 1
            >
            > Attention: Anna Istvancinova
            >
            > Also
            >
            > Mary Kash
            > Marca 16 20 0/0 7
            >
            > Rulobrnynkoi
            > Poinyinykoi
            > Moinyoc 7 Soi
            >
            > Ocera
            > Slonska
            >
            > Thanks so much. Deborah

          • chance_darkeyes
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
              My grandmother has it and she is 96, it is the only thing she has
              from her mother. She let me copy it when I was there to visit her.
              I would love to send it to you, but that is all that I have. Thanks
              for everything Deb--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor"
              <hfed@...> wrote:

              > The lettering is probably old-fashioned and a bit ornate. Here's
              what the first part means:

              > Motica Slovenska = Matica Slovenska [Slovak cultural institution]
              > Nositerka Radu Republicky = Nositelka Radu Republiky(?) [Awarded
              the Order of the Republic]
              > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck Slovakov= Oddelenie pre Zahranicnych
              Slovakov" [Department for Slovaks living abroad]
              > Puyacevova 2 = Pugacevova 2 [a street address]
              > Bratislova 1 = Bratislava 1 [district #1 of Bratislava]
              >
              > I have no idea about this:
              > > Rulobrnynkoi
              > > Poinyinykoi
              > > Moinyoc 7 Soi
              >
              > Could you scan it? Maybe I can figure it out if I see can see it
              for myself.

              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "chance_darkeyes"
              > <chance_darkeyes@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The town is Sacurrow and Zemplinski.....<
              >
              > The town is most probably Sac^urov. It was located in Zemplin
              County.
              > It is SE of Presov and NW of Michalovce. I found one Tkac^(Tkach)in
              > the Sac^urov phone listings.
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/3eyzmg
              >
              > The writing appears to be Slovak but the spelling seems
              > questionable. I believe "Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck" translate to
              > something like Department for Foreign(?) It probably was the
              address
              > of some government office in Bratislava.
              >
              > RU
              >

              > > This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers
              > >
              > > Motica Slovenska
              > > Nositerka Radu Republicky
              > > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
              > > Slovakov Puyacevova 2
              > > Bratislova 1
              > >
              > > Attention: Anna Istvancinova
              > >
              > > Also
              > >
              > > Mary Kash
              > > Marca 16 20 0/0 7
              > >
              > > Rulobrnynkoi
              > > Poinyinykoi
              > > Moinyoc 7 Soi
              > >
              > > Ocera
              > > Slonska
              > >
              > > Thanks so much. Deborah

            • chance_darkeyes
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
                Can you help me with the name and address and phone. I want to see
                if they are a relative of mine. I am so happy. Thanks you, so much.

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sinbad Schwartz"

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
                  Could you make a Xerox copy of the title page when you see her next? I'd never want to have such a precious item sent, just an image of the identifying info.

                  <hfed@...> wrote:

                  > The lettering is probably old-fashioned and a bit ornate. Here's
                  what the first part means:

                  > Motica Slovenska = Matica Slovenska [Slovak cultural institution]
                  > Nositerka Radu Republicky = Nositelka Radu Republiky(?) [Awarded
                  the Order of the Republic]
                  > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck Slovakov= Oddelenie pre Zahranicnych
                  Slovakov" [Department for Slovaks living abroad]
                  > Puyacevova 2 = Pugacevova 2 [a street address]
                  > Bratislova 1 = Bratislava 1 [district #1 of Bratislava]
                  >
                  > I have no idea about this:
                  > > Rulobrnynkoi
                  > > Poinyinykoi
                  > > Moinyoc 7 Soi
                  >
                  > Could you scan it? Maybe I can figure it out if I see can see it
                  for myself.

                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "chance_darkeyes"
                  > <chance_darkeyes@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The town is Sacurrow and Zemplinski.....<
                  >
                  > The town is most probably Sac^urov. It was located in Zemplin
                  County.
                  > It is SE of Presov and NW of Michalovce. I found one Tkac^(Tkach)in
                  > the Sac^urov phone listings.
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/3eyzmg
                  >
                  > The writing appears to be Slovak but the spelling seems
                  > questionable. I believe "Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck" translate to
                  > something like Department for Foreign(?) It probably was the
                  address
                  > of some government office in Bratislava.
                  >
                  > RU
                  >

                  > > This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers
                  > >
                  > > Motica Slovenska
                  > > Nositerka Radu Republicky
                  > > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
                  > > Slovakov Puyacevova 2
                  > > Bratislova 1
                  > >
                  > > Attention: Anna Istvancinova
                  > >
                  > > Also
                  > >
                  > > Mary Kash
                  > > Marca 16 20 0/0 7
                  > >
                  > > Rulobrnynkoi
                  > > Poinyinykoi
                  > > Moinyoc 7 Soi
                  > >
                  > > Ocera
                  > > Slonska
                  > >
                  > > Thanks so much. Deborah

                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
                    With modern digital cameras and cameras in cell phones being so common
                    a simple close up photo may do just fine and be quite easy to get.

                    Ron.

                    > Could you make a Xerox copy of the title page when you see her next?
                    I'd never want to have such a precious item sent, just an image of
                    the identifying info.

                    > My grandmother has it and she is 96, it is the only thing she has
                    > from her mother. She let me copy it when I was there to visit her.
                    > I would love to send it to you, but that is all that I have. Thanks
                    > for everything Deb--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor"
                    > <hfed@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The lettering is probably old-fashioned and a bit ornate. Here's
                    > what the first part means:
                    > >
                    > > Motica Slovenska = Matica Slovenska [Slovak cultural institution]
                    > > Nositerka Radu Republicky = Nositelka Radu Republiky(?) [Awarded
                    > the Order of the Republic]
                    > > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck Slovakov= Oddelenie pre Zahranicnych
                    > Slovakov" [Department for Slovaks living abroad]
                    > > Puyacevova 2 = Pugacevova 2 [a street address]
                    > > Bratislova 1 = Bratislava 1 [district #1 of Bratislava]
                    > >
                    > > I have no idea about this:
                    > > > Rulobrnynkoi
                    > > > Poinyinykoi
                    > > > Moinyoc 7 Soi
                    > >
                    > > Could you scan it? Maybe I can figure it out if I see can see it
                    > for myself.

                    > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "chance_darkeyes"
                    > > <chance_darkeyes@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > The town is Sacurrow and Zemplinski.....<
                    > >
                    > > The town is most probably Sac^urov. It was located in Zemplin
                    > County.
                    > > It is SE of Presov and NW of Michalovce. I found one Tkac^(Tkach)in
                    > > the Sac^urov phone listings.
                    > >
                    > > http://tinyurl.com/3eyzmg
                    > >
                    > > The writing appears to be Slovak but the spelling seems
                    > > questionable. I believe "Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck" translate to
                    > > something like Department for Foreign(?) It probably was the
                    > address
                    > > of some government office in Bratislava.
                    > >
                    > > RU
                    > >

                    > > > This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers
                    > > >
                    > > > Motica Slovenska
                    > > > Nositerka Radu Republicky
                    > > > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
                    > > > Slovakov Puyacevova 2
                    > > > Bratislova 1
                    > > >
                    > > > Attention: Anna Istvancinova
                    > > >
                    > > > Also
                    > > >
                    > > > Mary Kash
                    > > > Marca 16 20 0/0 7
                    > > >
                    > > > Rulobrnynkoi
                    > > > Poinyinykoi
                    > > > Moinyoc 7 Soi
                    > > >
                    > > > Ocera
                    > > > Slonska
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks so much. Deborah

                  • Armata, Joseph R
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
                      One more addition:
                      "Ocera" might be Dcera = daughter.

                      Helen's right, we'd need a scan of the writing to read the rest of it.

                      Joe

                      The lettering is probably old-fashioned and a bit ornate. Here's what
                      the first part means:

                      Motica Slovenska = Matica Slovenska [Slovak cultural institution]
                      Nositerka Radu Republicky = Nositelka Radu Republiky(?) [Awarded the
                      Order of the Republic] Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck Slovakov= Oddelenie
                      pre Zahranicnych Slovakov" [Department for Slovaks living abroad]
                      Puyacevova 2 = Pugacevova 2 [a street address] Bratislova 1 = Bratislava
                      1 [district #1 of Bratislava]

                      I have no idea about this:
                      > Rulobrnynkoi
                      > Poinyinykoi
                      > Moinyoc 7 Soi

                      Could you scan it? Maybe I can figure it out if I see can see it for
                      myself.

                      >>> "Sinbad Schwartz" <sandman6294@...
                      >>> <mailto:sandman6294%40yahoo.com> > 06/26/07 1:51 PM >>>
                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , "chance_darkeyes"

                      http://tinyurl.com/3eyzmg <http://tinyurl.com/3eyzmg>

                      The writing appears to be Slovak but the spelling seems questionable. I
                      believe "Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck" translate to something like
                      Department for Foreign(?) It probably was the address of some government
                      office in Bratislava.

                      RU

                      > This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers
                      >
                      > Motica Slovenska
                      > Nositerka Radu Republicky
                      > Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
                      > Slovakov Puyacevova 2
                      > Bratislova 1
                      >
                      > Attention: Anna Istvancinova
                      >
                      > Also
                      >
                      > Mary Kash
                      > Marca 16 20 0/0 7
                      >
                      > Rulobrnynkoi
                      > Poinyinykoi
                      > Moinyoc 7 Soi
                      >
                      > Ocera
                      > Slonska
                      >
                      > Thanks so much. Deborah

                    • Sinbad Schwartz
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
                        <chance_darkeyes@...> wrote:

                        > Can you help me with the name and address and phone. I want to see
                        > if they are a relative of mine. I am so happy. Thanks you, so
                        much.

                        I'll send the information by private e-mail. I have to look up the
                        postal code for the town first. You might want to try a simple
                        message in Slovak. My experience with family members in Slovakia is
                        probably much like it is in this country. Knowledge of the family
                        tree probably does not go back before grandparents or possibly great
                        grandparents at most. Their knowledge of extended family may also be
                        limited.

                        The Family History Center microfilm numbers for Sac^urov are:

                        Greek Catholic:

                        "Cirkevná matrika, 1882-1895 (Church Register 1882-1895)
                        Authors Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Saèurov (Vranov nad
                        Top¾ou) (Main Author)

                        Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1882-1895 FHL INTL
                        Film 1793680 Item 2

                        These appear to be limited to christening,marriage and death records
                        from 1882 to 1895"

                        Roman Catholic:

                        "Krsty 1770-1800 Uzavreté manželstvá 1770-1790, 1792-1815 Úmrtia 1770-
                        1809 Krsty 1800-1840 Uzavreté manželstvá 1815-1852 Úmrtia 1809-1819
                        FHL INTL Film 1793678 Items 3-6

                        Úmrtia 1820-1846 Krsty 1829-1877 Uzavreté manželstvá 1852-1877 Úmrtia
                        1852-1877 . Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1878-1882
                        FHL INTL Film 1793679

                        Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1882-1895 FHL INTL Film 1793680
                        Item 1"

                        RU
                      • Marianne Petruska
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 26, 2007
                          But it never hurts to ask. And though the 1st person you ask may not have
                          the answer, they may say something to *or* be able to direct you to another
                          family member who *CAN* answer the questions.

                          In my case, though it was via a letter-writing campaign one cousin & I did
                          to U.S. relatives (or possible relatives, as we weren't positive a couple
                          people were part of our extended family). Two of the letters I wrote were
                          forwarded from the original recipients to siblings who either had the
                          answers or knew who did. (And info from one helped connect 3 U.S.
                          branches of the family to each other & back to our Slovak ancestors!)

                          MARIANNE

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
                            Many families have an unofficial "family historian" (my mom, in our
                            case), who can rattle off who's related to whom and how. The trick is
                            to find out who the historian is.

                            >>> "Marianne Petruska" <marianne50614@...> 06/26/07 6:00 PM >>>
                            But it never hurts to ask. And though the 1st person you ask may not
                            have
                            the answer, they may say something to *or* be able to direct you to
                            another
                            family member who *CAN* answer the questions.

                            In my case, though it was via a letter-writing campaign one cousin & I
                            did
                            to U.S. relatives (or possible relatives, as we weren't positive a
                            couple
                            people were part of our extended family). Two of the letters I wrote
                            were
                            forwarded from the original recipients to siblings who either had the
                            answers or knew who did. (And info from one helped connect 3 U.S.
                            branches of the family to each other & back to our Slovak ancestors!)

                            MARIANNE

                            On 6/26/07, Sinbad Schwartz <sandman6294@...> wrote:

                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                            <Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "chance_darkeyes"
                            > <chance_darkeyes@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Can you help me with the name and address and phone. I want to see
                            > > if they are a relative of mine. I am so happy. Thanks you, so
                            > much.
                            >
                            > I'll send the information by private e-mail. I have to look up the
                            > postal code for the town first. You might want to try a simple
                            > message in Slovak. My experience with family members in Slovakia is
                            > probably much like it is in this country. Knowledge of the family
                            > tree probably does not go back before grandparents or possibly great
                            > grandparents at most. Their knowledge of extended family may also be
                            > limited.
                            >
                            > The Family History Center microfilm numbers for Sac^urov are:
                            >
                            > Greek Catholic:
                            >
                            > "Cirkevná matrika, 1882-1895 (Church Register 1882-1895)
                            > Authors Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Saèurov (Vranov nad
                            > Top*ou) (Main Author)
                            >
                            > Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté man*elstvá, úmrtia 1882-1895 FHL INTL
                            > Film 1793680 Item 2
                            >
                            > These appear to be limited to christening,marriage and death records
                            > from 1882 to 1895"
                            >
                            > Roman Catholic:
                            >
                            > "Krsty 1770-1800 Uzavreté man*elstvá 1770-1790, 1792-1815 Úmrtia
                            1770-
                            > 1809 Krsty 1800-1840 Uzavreté man*elstvá 1815-1852 Úmrtia 1809-1819
                            > FHL INTL Film 1793678 Items 3-6
                            >
                            > Úmrtia 1820-1846 Krsty 1829-1877 Uzavreté man*elstvá 1852-1877
                            Úmrtia
                            > 1852-1877 . Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté man*elstvá, úmrtia 1878-1882
                            > FHL INTL Film 1793679
                            >
                            > Krsty, uzavreté man*elstvá, úmrtia 1882-1895 FHL INTL Film 1793680
                            > Item 1"
                            >
                            > RU

                          • Marianne Petruska
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
                              Amen -- one pair of cousins (siblings) & I seem to have that designation:
                              They provided the general info and I took it from there. Other cousins were
                              able to provide info on their parents & grandparents, and in my researching
                              I've found the info on Great-GP & GG-GP and from that I've been able to
                              establish (for most) how far back the GG-GP were siblings or 1st cousins.

                              As with all research, it's pain-staking, time-consuming -- but in the end
                              the "reward" of knowledge is worth all the effort.

                              MARIANNE

                              On 6/27/07, Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

                              > Many families have an unofficial "family historian" (my mom, in our
                              > case), who can rattle off who's related to whom and how. The trick is
                              > to find out who the historian is.

                              > But it never hurts to ask. And though the 1st person you ask may not
                              > have
                              > the answer, they may say something to *or* be able to direct you to
                              > another
                              > family member who *CAN* answer the questions.
                              >
                              > In my case, though it was via a letter-writing campaign one cousin & I
                              > did
                              > to U.S. relatives (or possible relatives, as we weren't positive a
                              > couple
                              > people were part of our extended family). Two of the letters I wrote
                              > were
                              > forwarded from the original recipients to siblings who either had the
                              > answers or knew who did. (And info from one helped connect 3 U.S.
                              > branches of the family to each other & back to our Slovak ancestors!)
                              >
                              > MARIANNE
                              >

                              > On 6/26/07, Sinbad Schwartz <sandman6294@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                              > <Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > > "chance_darkeyes"
                              > > <chance_darkeyes@...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Can you help me with the name and address and phone. I want to see
                              > > > if they are a relative of mine. I am so happy. Thanks you, so
                              > > much.
                              > >
                              > > I'll send the information by private e-mail. I have to look up the
                              > > postal code for the town first. You might want to try a simple
                              > > message in Slovak. My experience with family members in Slovakia is
                              > > probably much like it is in this country. Knowledge of the family
                              > > tree probably does not go back before grandparents or possibly great
                              > > grandparents at most. Their knowledge of extended family may also be
                              > > limited.
                              > >
                              > > The Family History Center microfilm numbers for Sac^urov are:
                              > >
                              > > Greek Catholic:
                              > >
                              > > "Cirkevná matrika, 1882-1895 (Church Register 1882-1895)
                              > > Authors Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Saèurov (Vranov nad
                              > > Top*ou) (Main Author)
                              > >
                              > > Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté man*elstvá, úmrtia 1882-1895 FHL INTL
                              > > Film 1793680 Item 2
                              > >
                              > > These appear to be limited to christening,marriage and death records
                              > > from 1882 to 1895"
                              > >
                              > > Roman Catholic:
                              > >
                              > > "Krsty 1770-1800 Uzavreté man*elstvá 1770-1790, 1792-1815 Úmrtia
                              > 1770-
                              > > 1809 Krsty 1800-1840 Uzavreté man*elstvá 1815-1852 Úmrtia 1809-1819
                              > > FHL INTL Film 1793678 Items 3-6
                              > >
                              > > Úmrtia 1820-1846 Krsty 1829-1877 Uzavreté man*elstvá 1852-1877
                              > Úmrtia
                              > > 1852-1877 . Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté man*elstvá, úmrtia 1878-1882
                              > > FHL INTL Film 1793679
                              > >
                              > > Krsty, uzavreté man*elstvá, úmrtia 1882-1895 FHL INTL Film 1793680
                              > > Item 1"
                              > >
                              > > RU

                            • Sinbad Schwartz
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
                                <sandman6294@...> wrote:
                                > My experience with family members in Slovakia is probably much like
                                it is in this country. Knowledge of the family tree probably does not
                                Their knowledge of extended family may also be limited.<

                                To clarify this point let me add that, because I had access to the
                                microfilms of the parish registers of my parents villages at the local
                                FHC, I knew more about my early ancestors than my Slovak (Rusyn)cousins
                                did. Of course my cousins were invaluable when it came to current SK
                                genealogical records. I provided them with copies of the part of the
                                tree that I was able to construct using both the FHC microfilms and US
                                family records.

                                I found that I was able to help in another way. I did not know that
                                none of my first cousins had a photo of our grandparents. My mother
                                was a WWI widow. She emigrated to America in 1920 with her six year old
                                daughter. She brought with her two 8x10 photos that were taken in
                                Bardejov as she was leaving. One was of my grandparents and my youngest
                                maternal aunt and the other was of my mother and half sister. All were
                                dressed in their village best. I believe those photos were appreciated
                                more than any other gift as were the SK family photos I received from
                                them.

                                RU
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 6, 2007
                                  FHC?

                                  --- Sinbad Schwartz <sandman6294@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sinbad
                                  > Schwartz"
                                  > <sandman6294@...> wrote:
                                  > > My experience with family members in Slovakia is
                                  > probably much like
                                  > it is in this country. Knowledge of the family tree
                                  > probably does not
                                  > grandparents at most.
                                  > Their knowledge of extended family may also be
                                  > limited.<
                                  >
                                  > To clarify this point let me add that, because I had
                                  > access to the
                                  > microfilms of the parish registers of my parents
                                  > villages at the local
                                  > FHC, I knew more about my early ancestors than my
                                  > Slovak (Rusyn)cousins
                                  > did. Of course my cousins were invaluable when it
                                  > came to current SK
                                  > genealogical records. I provided them with copies of
                                  > the part of the
                                  > tree that I was able to construct using both the FHC
                                  > microfilms and US
                                  > family records.
                                  >
                                  > I found that I was able to help in another way. I
                                  > did not know that
                                  > none of my first cousins had a photo of our
                                  > grandparents. My mother
                                  > was a WWI widow. She emigrated to America in 1920
                                  > with her six year old
                                  > daughter. She brought with her two 8x10 photos that
                                  > were taken in
                                  > Bardejov as she was leaving. One was of my
                                  > grandparents and my youngest
                                  > maternal aunt and the other was of my mother and
                                  > half sister. All were
                                  > dressed in their village best. I believe those
                                  > photos were appreciated
                                  > more than any other gift as were the SK family
                                  > photos I received from
                                  > them.
                                  >
                                  > RU

                                  Don't pick lemons.
                                  See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                                  http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html