"Rom anda Ceho-Slovakia - Gypsies From Slovakia"

  • Sinbad Schwartz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2007
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1r4mdvD6O0

      My untrained ear is picking up Slovak and Czech in the interview
      portions of this video. I can't determine what language is used in the
      singing.

      RU
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007
        I'll bet my daily dose of caffeine that it's Romany (Romani, Rom), the language of the Roma. In the first interview, the fellow talks about singing Romani songs and also singing in Hungarian and Russian.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007

          > I'll bet my daily dose of caffeine that it's Romany (Romani, Rom),
          the language of the Roma. In the first interview, the fellow talks
          about singing Romani songs and also singing in Hungarian and Russian.

          Thanks Helen

          RU
        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 24, 2007
            Pani Fedor:

            I'm sure that as a memeber of LOC you may already be aware better
            than I that most immigrants from Eastern Europe don't have a clue.

            I used Pani in adressing you as a token of my respect over the years.

            To All:

            Pani is how you address a "MOST RESPECTED FEMALE".

            As always, you are right!

            Greg Kopchak

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25, 2007
              D'akujem pekne, Greg. I've made my share of mistakes as well, and am happy to be corrected and learn.

              >>> "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> 06/24/07 2:39 PM >>>
              Pani Fedor:

              I'm sure that as a memeber of LOC you may already be aware better
              than I that most immigrants from Eastern Europe don't have a clue.

              I used Pani in adressing you as a token of my respect over the years.

              To All:

              Pani is how you address a "MOST RESPECTED FEMALE".

              As always, you are right!

              Greg Kopchak

              > I'll bet my daily dose of caffeine that it's Romany (Romani, Rom),
              the language of the Roma. In the first interview, the fellow talks
              about singing Romani songs and also singing in Hungarian and Russian.

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1r4mdvD6O0
              >
              > My untrained ear is picking up Slovak and Czech in the interview
              > portions of this video. I can't determine what language is used
              in the
              > singing.
              >
              > RU

            • Martin Votruba
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
                > Slovak and Czech in the interview

                "Gypsies From Slovakia" is certainly an awkward title for the video
                given that the singing is in Romani, as Helen has said, and all the
                on-camera statements are in Czech.

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu