Re: POGROBNIK/Pohrebnik

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
      Everyone has to keep in mind....

      Your immigrant ancestors couldn't spell English.

      In America they also lost the ability to spell Slovak through the years.

      I get 10-20 messages a week at www.iarelative.com with spelling Slovak
      corrections .

      We post the Americanization spellings we receive. Most are wrong.

      Thanks

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Anabeth Dollins" <anabeth@...>
      wrote:

      > Helen --
      >
      > I found the same page that you did when I googled the word. My 1920
      > English-Slovak dictionary (printed in Pittsburgh to help immigrants)
      has the
      > word 'pohrabnik' for undertaker and 'pohrab' for funeral. No 'g,' no
      'o.'

      > Anabeth
      >
      > On 5/25/07, Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Anabeth,
      > > The Slovak word is "pohrebnik". I've checked Ukrainian, Russian,
      Bulgaria,
      > > Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Belarusian (Belorussian), Polish, and
      Macedonian
      > > dictionaries, but haven't found "pogrobnik".
      > >
      > > Research is interesting and can take you down unexpected pathways.
      Just
      > > for the heck of it, I plugged "pogrobnik" into Google and got one
      hit: a
      > > Lithuanian etymnological dictionary (the whole thing put online),
      written in
      > > German. There it said that "pogrobnik" is a Belarusian word.
      However, the
      > > word itself is preceeded by an asterisk. Martin, correct me if I'm
      wrong,
      > > but doesn't an asterisk in front of a word (in this type of work)
      mean that
      > > the word is reconstructed, but not attested? Anyway, like I said,
      I checked
      > > a Belarusian dictionary, but their word is slightly different.
      > >
      > > I wonder if "pogrobnik" is either an antiquated word (just like we
      don't
      > > use "beau" for "boyfriend" anymore), a dialect word, or possibly
      Rusyn (no
      > > dictionary). Do you know where in Chicago it was located?

      > > 9:09 PM >>>
      > >
      > > Someone on the Brezova group wrote:
      > > "my ancestor began an undertaker business in Chicago.
      > > I have a photo of his business, the window sign on the left reads
      > > UNDERTAKER and on the right reads POGROBNIK."
      > >
      > > Can anybody help with that word -- pogrobnik? The ancestor was
      Slovak, but