roll call: Slovaks in London, Ontario?

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
      My grandparents (and one great-grandparent) were my Slovak immigrant
      ancestors; they landed in New York City, stayed there a while, went
      to London Ontario for a couple of years and then back to NYC for a
      while, then settled permanently in central Michigan.

      I've never been able to figure out why they went to London, and no
      one (their children) seemed to know, either. They went to London
      sometime between Feb 1913 (married then in NYC) and January 1914
      (first child was born then, in London). They were back in NYC again
      in Nov 1916, when their second child was born.

      Their son never ended up with a Canadian birth certificate, so I
      don't know where they lived in London. (And yes, that caused various
      hassles in his adult life!)

      Could there have been a Slovak community in London? If so, was there
      a particular neighborhood or Catholic parish (baptismal record to
      search for!) that Slovaks tended to live in? I wonder if there was
      some economic opportunity that was either short-term, or just didn't
      work out for them.

      Thanks for any insight.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Chuck Vrshek

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
          Thanks Chuck; did some browsing of the site, so far no easy
          answers--yet! It was interesting to find that there is a Slovak
          Byzantine rite church in the diocese, but it's in Windsor, not
          London, and my family isn't Byzantine rite.

          Julie Michutka

          At 03:28 PM 6/2/2007, you wrote:
          >Julie - Interesting you should ask. I had at one time noted a
          >reference for Slovaks in Ontario, and found the Ontario Dioceses -
          >Slovak Eparchy, Unionville, Ontario. However, the site didn't have
          >what I was looking for. Here's the reference I had, maybe it will
          >be a help, maybe not. It is www.occb.on.ca/english/slovak.html. Good
          >luck! Chuck Vrshek, Marietta, Georgia
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2007
            Julie:

            Try this link . . .

            http://www.rcec.london.on.ca/directry2.htm

            Looks as if the Slovak parish was in Windsor; however,
            there was a Hungarian parish in London -- Windsor and
            London are not too terribly far apart.

            I Googled "London Ontario Catholic Slovak" and got
            lots of hits.

            Caye

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail