Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Undertaker

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2007
      There was a large immigration from Croatia in the
      late 1500s to southwestern Slovakia and southern
      Moravia. It seems that names ending in c with a hook
      over it may indicate Croatian ancestry. A book by
      Vaclavik deails this and the folk art they brought but
      it is all in Slovak. The village of Chorvatsky Grob
      means Croastian grave and we met a woman there who
      spoke Croatian 400 years after her ancestors left.

      In the Balkans the h turns into a g - hrad becomes
      grad - Breszov seems a bit far afireeld from the
      villages around Bratislava and Trnava that had
      Croatian immigrants but wonder if that could be the
      explanation.

      helene

      http://sims.yahoo.com/