World War II and Slovakia and US and UK

  • Jim Downs
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2007
      The following website has information about a beautiful new book put out by two Slovak WWII historians.
      http://www.kaso.ahoj.sk/the_15th_usaaf

      Peter Kassak (from Martin, I believe) and Dr. Marian Hrodegh from Trencin are the authors. They have done a tremendous about of research in putting out this book.

      These stories about World War II airmen were preserved originally by young Slovaks who saw the American and British planes burning from flak attacks or from German fighter planes as they struggled to fly back to Italy. These young Slovaks watched airmen bailing out of the planes. Many of the men were captured by the Germans. Others were assisted by Slovaks in evading capture. In some cases Slovaks were executed by the Germans for aiding the downed airmen.

      jim downs oceanside, california

    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2007
        Jim,
        I located one such canadian pilot who had the same destiny and he came over
        two years ago. It was a big show here.
        He was shot down in his Mosquito over Piestany airfield.
        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2007
          Thank you!

          --- Jim Downs <downs24@...> wrote:

          > The following website has information about a
          > beautiful new book put out by two Slovak WWII
          > historians.
          > http://www.kaso.ahoj.sk/the_15th_usaaf
          >
          > Peter Kassak (from Martin, I believe) and Dr. Marian
          > Hrodegh from Trencin are the authors. They have done
          > a tremendous about of research in putting out this
          > book.
          >
          > These stories about World War II airmen were
          > preserved originally by young Slovaks who saw the
          > American and British planes burning from flak
          > attacks or from German fighter planes as they
          > struggled to fly back to Italy. These young Slovaks
          > watched airmen bailing out of the planes. Many of
          > the men were captured by the Germans. Others were
          > assisted by Slovaks in evading capture. In some
          > cases Slovaks were executed by the Germans for
          > aiding the downed airmen.
          >
          > jim downs oceanside, california

          > removed]

          Get your own web address.