Re: [Slovak-World] Settlement of Slovaks in North America.

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6 11:25 AM
      I was surprised to find a good sized settlement of
      people of Slovak descent in Seattle and Tacoma in
      Washington State.

      helene

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7 11:04 AM
        My ancestors settled in a town of Lewiston ME. They
        were mostly loggers & miners, I presume. They came
        from east of Kosice in a town of Parchovany about
        1890s to 1910.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8 7:49 AM
          There's also a Slovak community in Colorado (Denver, I think), no doubt there because of the mining.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8 9:11 AM
            > There's also a Slovak community in Colorado (Denver, I think),
            > no doubt there because of the mining.

            That's an interesting instance of Slovak immigrant history, Helen. It
            seems to be mostly secondary migration -- some Slovak Americans moved
            from the East to Pueblo, CO, to the steel mills there. Some of them
            then found jobs in the mountain mines. For instance, Leadville, the
            highest incorporated municipality in the US (10,430 ft), has the
            highest, or one of the highest percentages of people registering
            Slovak ancestry in the state. And Colorado has the 10th highest
            concentration of people with Slovak ancestry. Does anyone have
            information about direct immigrants from Slovakia to to Colorado and
            any existing Slovak-American communities they may have joined?

            A group of those dissatisfied with their work in Pueblo bought land
            east of Colorado Springs and hoped to become farmers. I stopped at a
            cemetery near Simla once and did notice a couple of Slovak-sounding
            names. A Slovak-Worlder posted about them some years ago. She said
            it hadn't been successful. I wonder whether she can provide more
            details about them if she's still subscribed.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • vchromoho
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8 11:52 AM
              There are several Carpatho-Rusyn colonies in Colorado that have been
              erroneously described in various literature as Slovak. (That is,
              regardless of what the immigrants and their descendants ended up
              calling themselves in the U.S., they came from ethnographically Rusyn
              villages in eastern Slovakia.)

              Whether there were Slovaks among them in these places I don't know.

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>