RE: [Slovak-World] Settlement of Slovaks in North America.

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2007
      Dear Margarete,
      You can take my word too. It is all correct.
      Vladimir

      _____

        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2007
          I was surprised to find a good sized settlement of
          people of Slovak descent in Seattle and Tacoma in
          Washington State.

          helene

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2007
            My ancestors settled in a town of Lewiston ME. They
            were mostly loggers & miners, I presume. They came
            from east of Kosice in a town of Parchovany about
            1890s to 1910.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8, 2007
              There's also a Slovak community in Colorado (Denver, I think), no doubt there because of the mining.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Martin Votruba
              Message 6 of 8 , May 8, 2007
                > There's also a Slovak community in Colorado (Denver, I think),
                > no doubt there because of the mining.

                That's an interesting instance of Slovak immigrant history, Helen. It
                seems to be mostly secondary migration -- some Slovak Americans moved
                from the East to Pueblo, CO, to the steel mills there. Some of them
                then found jobs in the mountain mines. For instance, Leadville, the
                highest incorporated municipality in the US (10,430 ft), has the
                highest, or one of the highest percentages of people registering
                Slovak ancestry in the state. And Colorado has the 10th highest
                concentration of people with Slovak ancestry. Does anyone have
                information about direct immigrants from Slovakia to to Colorado and
                any existing Slovak-American communities they may have joined?

                A group of those dissatisfied with their work in Pueblo bought land
                east of Colorado Springs and hoped to become farmers. I stopped at a
                cemetery near Simla once and did notice a couple of Slovak-sounding
                names. A Slovak-Worlder posted about them some years ago. She said
                it hadn't been successful. I wonder whether she can provide more
                details about them if she's still subscribed.

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              • vchromoho
                Message 7 of 8 , May 8, 2007
                  There are several Carpatho-Rusyn colonies in Colorado that have been
                  erroneously described in various literature as Slovak. (That is,
                  regardless of what the immigrants and their descendants ended up
                  calling themselves in the U.S., they came from ethnographically Rusyn
                  villages in eastern Slovakia.)

                  Whether there were Slovaks among them in these places I don't know.

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>