Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak cemetry information

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2007
      Jack had a good point - if you are in a village go to
      the Mayor and ask if anyone can help you in English;
      if in Kosice go to the Mayor's office - someone will
      try to find you help - a shame to go all that way and
      not find anything.

      but don't just look in the cemetery - talk to the
      older people in the village - they remember
      everything!
      ask where your ancestral homestead was. Ask if there
      are people there who have your ancestral surnames.

      too often in cemeteries they put up fancy new concrete
      stones and only put the names of the people most
      recently buried and not the ones of 100 years ago.
      That's why you need help to talk with people. How long
      will you be there?

      Do know people you could contact but not sure they
      could be there right away.

      good luck!

      helene

      Looking for earth-friendly autos?
      http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2007
        Mr. Gergley:

        Thank you for the offer. I was in Kosice when I wrote
        this. My family hails from Parchovay. But I am
        already back in Bratislava now. Even the local priest
        didn't speak much English.

        But I did find the grave yard, at least.

        Thank you for your help.

        I may return next year. If so, & if you are still
        here, I may try to hook up w/ you for more research.

        Btw, I was just in your neck of the woods a couple
        weeks ago, in Portsmouth VA, near Hampton Roads.
        Small world, eh?

        Thanks,
        Chuck

        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2007
          This town was too small. I did not even see a market.
          Nor could I find a city hall nor mayor. I did
          eventually locate the priest, but he was out all day
          until early evening. And he was helpful in locating
          the cemetery.

          --- Gergely <gergely@...> wrote:

          > Is the cemetery in Kosice, or in one of the
          > villages?
          >
          > My family is from Budimir, which is near Kosice. We
          > went to the village store and post office to get
          > help.
          >
          > Jack Gergely

          The fish are biting.
          Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2007
            I strolled the streets as much as I could, but most
            people were away working.

            The only thing I did not was a couple of schools, & I
            was not comfrotable going up to them or into them. In
            the US, the can land you in jail.

            --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

            > Check the church anyhow (in many villages there is
            > one
            > person who has the keys -- unless you are lucky and
            > find the priest, sometimes they live in a building
            > adjacent to the church) -- and yes, if you Google
            > 'Slovak Telephone Directory' you'll get the listings
            > -- in my gram's village the cemetery is at the edge
            > of
            > the village, not adjacent to the churches.
            >
            > Good luck -- and feel free to ask folks, they'll be
            > curious to see you wandering up and down the
            > streets,
            > so try to communicate -- use sign language and the
            > surnames -- I'll bet you'll find something.
            >

            > Caye
            >

            > --- LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello all from Kosice SK!
            > >
            > > Does anyone have any information regarding Slovak
            > > cemetery listings. I am here, and found quite a
            > few
            > > graves with the last name I am looking for, but no
            > > additional information.
            > >
            > > My Slovak skills are non-existent. A local parish
            > > priest had some kids show me the cemetery, which
            > was
            > > good, because unlike in most 18the century farm
            > > villages, it was not next to the church. At that
            > > point, I have hit a dead end.
            > >
            > > Also, is there anything like what we refer to as
            > the
            > > White Pages in the US? But then again, I don't
            > want
            > > to call up individuals in the town w/ my poor
            > > Slovak.
            > >
            > > Any information would me much appreciated.
            > >
            > > Ïakujem Vám,
            > > Chuck

            > > protection around
            > > http://mail.yahoo.com

            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2007
              LOL, maybe the men yes -- I'll bet there were many
              many eyes peeping through windows at you.

              Smart on the school thing -- although I don't think
              they fear terror like we do here -- but probably smart
              to err on that side anyhow.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • konekta@nm.psg.sk
              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                Does anyone really knows what Long John Wayne want to find out?
                I can not find that in the mails.
                Vladimir

                _____