Slovak cemetry information

    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2007
      Hello all from Kosice SK!

      Does anyone have any information regarding Slovak
      cemetery listings. I am here, and found quite a few
      graves with the last name I am looking for, but no
      additional information.

      My Slovak skills are non-existent. A local parish
      priest had some kids show me the cemetery, which was
      good, because unlike in most 18the century farm
      villages, it was not next to the church. At that
      point, I have hit a dead end.

      Also, is there anything like what we refer to as the
      White Pages in the US? But then again, I don't want
      to call up individuals in the town w/ my poor Slovak.

      Any information would me much appreciated.

      Ďakujem Vám,
      Chuck

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2007
        Check the church anyhow (in many villages there is one
        person who has the keys -- unless you are lucky and
        find the priest, sometimes they live in a building
        adjacent to the church) -- and yes, if you Google
        'Slovak Telephone Directory' you'll get the listings
        -- in my gram's village the cemetery is at the edge of
        the village, not adjacent to the churches.

        Good luck -- and feel free to ask folks, they'll be
        curious to see you wandering up and down the streets,
        so try to communicate -- use sign language and the
        surnames -- I'll bet you'll find something.

        Caye

        --- LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

        > Hello all from Kosice SK!
        >
        > Does anyone have any information regarding Slovak
        > cemetery listings. I am here, and found quite a few
        > graves with the last name I am looking for, but no
        > additional information.
        >
        > My Slovak skills are non-existent. A local parish
        > priest had some kids show me the cemetery, which was
        > good, because unlike in most 18the century farm
        > villages, it was not next to the church. At that
        > point, I have hit a dead end.
        >
        > Also, is there anything like what we refer to as the
        > White Pages in the US? But then again, I don't want
        > to call up individuals in the town w/ my poor
        > Slovak.
        >
        > Any information would me much appreciated.
        >
        > Ïakujem Vám,
        > Chuck

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Haidee Kupecz
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2007
          Hi, Chuck,
          And welcome to Slovak World! So, you're in Kosice right now? I have relatives in Presov, which, as I recall, is not too far from where you are. Sorry I can't help you with your search; my Slovak skills are virtually non-existent, also. Just wanted to say hi.

          See you later,
          Haidee
          haideec@...

          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2007
            You could also try "Virtual Cemetaries of Slovakia" (in English) at
            <http://www.cemetery.sk/english/>.

            >>> LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> 05/04/07 8:46 AM >>>
            Hello all from Kosice SK!

            Does anyone have any information regarding Slovak
            cemetery listings. I am here, and found quite a few
            graves with the last name I am looking for, but no
            additional information.

            My Slovak skills are non-existent. A local parish
            priest had some kids show me the cemetery, which was
            good, because unlike in most 18the century farm
            villages, it was not next to the church. At that
            point, I have hit a dead end.

            Also, is there anything like what we refer to as the
            White Pages in the US? But then again, I don't want
            to call up individuals in the town w/ my poor Slovak.

            Any information would me much appreciated.

            Ďakujem Vám,
            Chuck

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Gergely
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2007
              Is the cemetery in Kosice, or in one of the villages?

              My family is from Budimir, which is near Kosice. We went to the village store and post office to get help.

              Jack Gergely

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                What villages are you going to Chuck? I have kin in Budimir, which is just a few klicks outside of Kosice.

                Jack Gergely
                Newport News

                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                  Jack had a good point - if you are in a village go to
                  the Mayor and ask if anyone can help you in English;
                  if in Kosice go to the Mayor's office - someone will
                  try to find you help - a shame to go all that way and
                  not find anything.

                  but don't just look in the cemetery - talk to the
                  older people in the village - they remember
                  everything!
                  ask where your ancestral homestead was. Ask if there
                  are people there who have your ancestral surnames.

                  too often in cemeteries they put up fancy new concrete
                  stones and only put the names of the people most
                  recently buried and not the ones of 100 years ago.
                  That's why you need help to talk with people. How long
                  will you be there?

                  Do know people you could contact but not sure they
                  could be there right away.

                  good luck!

                  helene

                  Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                  http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                    Mr. Gergley:

                    Thank you for the offer. I was in Kosice when I wrote
                    this. My family hails from Parchovay. But I am
                    already back in Bratislava now. Even the local priest
                    didn't speak much English.

                    But I did find the grave yard, at least.

                    Thank you for your help.

                    I may return next year. If so, & if you are still
                    here, I may try to hook up w/ you for more research.

                    Btw, I was just in your neck of the woods a couple
                    weeks ago, in Portsmouth VA, near Hampton Roads.
                    Small world, eh?

                    Thanks,
                    Chuck

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                      This town was too small. I did not even see a market.
                      Nor could I find a city hall nor mayor. I did
                      eventually locate the priest, but he was out all day
                      until early evening. And he was helpful in locating
                      the cemetery.

                      --- Gergely <gergely@...> wrote:

                      > Is the cemetery in Kosice, or in one of the
                      > villages?
                      >
                      > My family is from Budimir, which is near Kosice. We
                      > went to the village store and post office to get
                      > help.
                      >
                      > Jack Gergely

                      The fish are biting.
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                        I strolled the streets as much as I could, but most
                        people were away working.

                        The only thing I did not was a couple of schools, & I
                        was not comfrotable going up to them or into them. In
                        the US, the can land you in jail.

                        --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                        > Check the church anyhow (in many villages there is
                        > one
                        > person who has the keys -- unless you are lucky and
                        > find the priest, sometimes they live in a building
                        > adjacent to the church) -- and yes, if you Google
                        > 'Slovak Telephone Directory' you'll get the listings
                        > -- in my gram's village the cemetery is at the edge
                        > of
                        > the village, not adjacent to the churches.
                        >
                        > Good luck -- and feel free to ask folks, they'll be
                        > curious to see you wandering up and down the
                        > streets,
                        > so try to communicate -- use sign language and the
                        > surnames -- I'll bet you'll find something.
                        >

                        > Caye
                        >

                        > --- LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hello all from Kosice SK!
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone have any information regarding Slovak
                        > > cemetery listings. I am here, and found quite a
                        > few
                        > > graves with the last name I am looking for, but no
                        > > additional information.
                        > >
                        > > My Slovak skills are non-existent. A local parish
                        > > priest had some kids show me the cemetery, which
                        > was
                        > > good, because unlike in most 18the century farm
                        > > villages, it was not next to the church. At that
                        > > point, I have hit a dead end.
                        > >
                        > > Also, is there anything like what we refer to as
                        > the
                        > > White Pages in the US? But then again, I don't
                        > want
                        > > to call up individuals in the town w/ my poor
                        > > Slovak.
                        > >
                        > > Any information would me much appreciated.
                        > >
                        > > Ïakujem Vám,
                        > > Chuck

                        > > protection around
                        > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        > protection around
                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                          LOL, maybe the men yes -- I'll bet there were many
                          many eyes peeping through windows at you.

                          Smart on the school thing -- although I don't think
                          they fear terror like we do here -- but probably smart
                          to err on that side anyhow.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                            Does anyone really knows what Long John Wayne want to find out?
                            I can not find that in the mails.
                            Vladimir

                            _____