Re: [Slovak-World] Re:Off Topic - please update on your (US) state's economy

  • David
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 11:43 AM
      Come on back to the Lehigh Valley, in the eastern part of the state.
      New 4 and 5 bedroom houses, are half the price that you pay out on
      the west coast. In fact, many people who lived and worked in New York
      City and in Jersey, that had great paying jobs, are selling their
      homes there, making a killing, then come and buy a new home here in
      the Poconos or the Lehigh Valley, bank the rest of the money and live
      like kings...Slovak Kings!
      Check it out. By the way,4 season living can't be beat. You look
      forward toward each season.
      Dave Kuchta

      At 01:16 PM 5/3/2007, you wrote:

      >Hi Claudia,
      >
      >Here's my take on California: I've lived in San Diego and in San Jose (south
      >of San Francisco) for several years. The economy is booming, particularly in
      >IT and Biotechnology so there are plenty of jobs and very good salaries.
      >There is a reason why salaries are high though, and that's because the cost
      >of living is high too. My husband and I are looking to buy a home, our
      >first. Prices for new, small to medium sized homes in the Silicon Valley
      >are start at $675,000. I said START. In San Diego prices for new homes are a
      >little lower but not by much.
      >
      >I've never lived anywhere else besides California (and Slovakia for 5
      >years). My great grandparents came out to Buffalo NY to work for the German
      >Ambassador to the US in the 1870s. They went back to Germany a few years
      >later because they just couldn't get acclimated and missed home. Their son,
      >my grandfather, emigrated from Germany to Los Angeles in the early 30s,
      >married my Mexican grandma and my family have been in CA ever since. I've
      >often wondered what it would be like living "back East" and if I had a
      >relative in Buffalo, NY today, would I consider moving out there? The answer
      >is probably not. I'm used to California climate, topography, lifestyle, not
      >to mention my relatives and family. There is no Slovak culture here in San
      >Jose though, (there is in San Diego) but like everyone else, I'm connected
      >virtually and communicate with people of Slovak descent or with my husband's
      >Slovak family every week through the Internet.
      >
      >To move or not move is a very personal and at times heart-wrenching
      >experience. We have plenty of proof from the immigrant stories of our
      >ancestors. They made their decision in the attempt make their lives better.
      >In the end, that's what it comes down to, isn't it? Improving the quality of
      >your life? Defining "quality" is the trick though.
      >
      >Best of luck to you and your family,
      >
      >Margarete Hurn Minar

    • Paul Guzowski
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4 6:58 AM
        Greetings Claudia and group,
        Just had to add my two heller's worth on this subject. Before I landed
        the job in Bratislava, I was competing for a job in San Diego. When I
        went to www.mysalary.com and compared the value of the salary in
        Harrisburg, PA, (I actually live in Carlisle) and San Diego, the check
        said the same salary in San Diego would be worth 43% less! The company
        I was talking to out there wouldn't offer me anywhere near as much as I
        would have needed to maintain my standard of living. I might add that
        South-Central Pennsylvania reminds me a lot of Slovakia in terms of
        terrain, climatology, and agriculture.
        I lived in southern California for three years and still have a house
        there but would not go back. Taxes are high and the cost of living is
        high, as well. I'd love to be near the mountains again but my wife is
        tired of cold weather and snow so we are headed for Florida. Florida's
        economy is strong due to tourism but other sectors are doing well, too.
        For example, there is a pretty decent hi-tech presence in the Orlando
        area. The cost of living in the northwest part of the state is quite
        acceptable, particularly if you live inland from the beach a little bit
        (which is a good idea anyway in case hurricane comes in that direction).
        Where I've been looking one can get a decent single family home for
        $100,000 to $150,000 and a virtual mansion for $300,000--half of what a
        starter home costs in the metropolitan areas of California.
        Given all of the above, there are plenty of other places in the country
        where the cost of living is equally low or even leas. You can get an
        idea of how the economy in an area is going by checking out the job
        market in the area. There are many job sites out there but one I have
        used is http://www.monster.com/ and with it you can search by job
        category, career field, and area.
        Just one more opinion but hope it helps.

        Paul in Bratislava
        Homebase (for now) in Carlisle, PA
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8 1:04 AM
          Before making a decision on locating to the US, one
          may want to consider state income taxes:

          http://taxes.about.com/od/statebystate/qt/taxfreestates.htm

          Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.