Re: Journey 1913 - 4

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2007
      > I wonder if "clean" here means not "not dirty", but
      > rather, "nothing but".

      Thank you very much, Helen. It's certainly possible. He uses it
      twice, once with the diminutive _do tej c~istej vodic~ky_, which
      sounded to me like it had to mean "clean," and the two occurrences
      aren't far from some religious musings, which seemed to go with the
      meaning of purity, too.

      However, what you say is completely plausible, and of his 9 other uses
      of variations of_c~isty_ (besides the 2 with "water"), 3 certainly
      mean "only X," "X all over." I'm not sure that I'll find a definitive
      support for one or the other option in the text, but I lean towards
      your suggestion at the moment, because I do remember (I translated it
      earlier) that "clean" did strike me as a somewhat unexpected thing for
      him to say in that instance.

      I know the style is awkward, so it's difficult to make suggestions for
      improvement, but I'll appreciate any comments from others who read
      Jozef's travelogue -- e.g., when something sounds _too_ weird,
      unexpected, etc. It may turn out that it's equally weird in Slovak,
      but Helen's comment shows that there's room for meaningful changes in
      the English version.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu