RE: [Slovak-World] Off Topic - please update on your (US) state's economy

  • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHD0)
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      That's good to know since the situation in Ohio is much the same as in
      Michigan. Since my younger
      daughter is dating a Marine stationed at Quantico I'm sure southern VA
      would appeal to her. :-)

      Michelle

      Michelle Maco Mader
      Cleveland, Ohio USA

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2007
        Hi Claudia,

        Here's my take on California: I've lived in San Diego and in San Jose (south
        of San Francisco) for several years. The economy is booming, particularly in
        IT and Biotechnology so there are plenty of jobs and very good salaries.
        There is a reason why salaries are high though, and that's because the cost
        of living is high too. My husband and I are looking to buy a home, our
        first. Prices for new, small to medium sized homes in the Silicon Valley
        are start at $675,000. I said START. In San Diego prices for new homes are a
        little lower but not by much.

        I've never lived anywhere else besides California (and Slovakia for 5
        years). My great grandparents came out to Buffalo NY to work for the German
        Ambassador to the US in the 1870s. They went back to Germany a few years
        later because they just couldn't get acclimated and missed home. Their son,
        my grandfather, emigrated from Germany to Los Angeles in the early 30s,
        married my Mexican grandma and my family have been in CA ever since. I've
        often wondered what it would be like living "back East" and if I had a
        relative in Buffalo, NY today, would I consider moving out there? The answer
        is probably not. I'm used to California climate, topography, lifestyle, not
        to mention my relatives and family. There is no Slovak culture here in San
        Jose though, (there is in San Diego) but like everyone else, I'm connected
        virtually and communicate with people of Slovak descent or with my husband's
        Slovak family every week through the Internet.

        To move or not move is a very personal and at times heart-wrenching
        experience. We have plenty of proof from the immigrant stories of our
        ancestors. They made their decision in the attempt make their lives better.
        In the end, that's what it comes down to, isn't it? Improving the quality of
        your life? Defining "quality" is the trick though.

        Best of luck to you and your family,

        Margarete Hurn Minar

      • David
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2007
          Come on back to the Lehigh Valley, in the eastern part of the state.
          New 4 and 5 bedroom houses, are half the price that you pay out on
          the west coast. In fact, many people who lived and worked in New York
          City and in Jersey, that had great paying jobs, are selling their
          homes there, making a killing, then come and buy a new home here in
          the Poconos or the Lehigh Valley, bank the rest of the money and live
          like kings...Slovak Kings!
          Check it out. By the way,4 season living can't be beat. You look
          forward toward each season.
          Dave Kuchta

          At 01:16 PM 5/3/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi Claudia,
          >
          >Here's my take on California: I've lived in San Diego and in San Jose (south
          >of San Francisco) for several years. The economy is booming, particularly in
          >IT and Biotechnology so there are plenty of jobs and very good salaries.
          >There is a reason why salaries are high though, and that's because the cost
          >of living is high too. My husband and I are looking to buy a home, our
          >first. Prices for new, small to medium sized homes in the Silicon Valley
          >are start at $675,000. I said START. In San Diego prices for new homes are a
          >little lower but not by much.
          >
          >I've never lived anywhere else besides California (and Slovakia for 5
          >years). My great grandparents came out to Buffalo NY to work for the German
          >Ambassador to the US in the 1870s. They went back to Germany a few years
          >later because they just couldn't get acclimated and missed home. Their son,
          >my grandfather, emigrated from Germany to Los Angeles in the early 30s,
          >married my Mexican grandma and my family have been in CA ever since. I've
          >often wondered what it would be like living "back East" and if I had a
          >relative in Buffalo, NY today, would I consider moving out there? The answer
          >is probably not. I'm used to California climate, topography, lifestyle, not
          >to mention my relatives and family. There is no Slovak culture here in San
          >Jose though, (there is in San Diego) but like everyone else, I'm connected
          >virtually and communicate with people of Slovak descent or with my husband's
          >Slovak family every week through the Internet.
          >
          >To move or not move is a very personal and at times heart-wrenching
          >experience. We have plenty of proof from the immigrant stories of our
          >ancestors. They made their decision in the attempt make their lives better.
          >In the end, that's what it comes down to, isn't it? Improving the quality of
          >your life? Defining "quality" is the trick though.
          >
          >Best of luck to you and your family,
          >
          >Margarete Hurn Minar

        • Haidee Kupecz
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2007
            Fred and George,
            I just wanted to let you know I printed out the pirogi pizza recipe and just made it recently. It turned out pretty good. I still have one pizza left.

            See you later,
            Haidee
            haideec@...

            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2007
              Greetings Claudia and group,
              Just had to add my two heller's worth on this subject. Before I landed
              the job in Bratislava, I was competing for a job in San Diego. When I
              went to www.mysalary.com and compared the value of the salary in
              Harrisburg, PA, (I actually live in Carlisle) and San Diego, the check
              said the same salary in San Diego would be worth 43% less! The company
              I was talking to out there wouldn't offer me anywhere near as much as I
              would have needed to maintain my standard of living. I might add that
              South-Central Pennsylvania reminds me a lot of Slovakia in terms of
              terrain, climatology, and agriculture.
              I lived in southern California for three years and still have a house
              there but would not go back. Taxes are high and the cost of living is
              high, as well. I'd love to be near the mountains again but my wife is
              tired of cold weather and snow so we are headed for Florida. Florida's
              economy is strong due to tourism but other sectors are doing well, too.
              For example, there is a pretty decent hi-tech presence in the Orlando
              area. The cost of living in the northwest part of the state is quite
              acceptable, particularly if you live inland from the beach a little bit
              (which is a good idea anyway in case hurricane comes in that direction).
              Where I've been looking one can get a decent single family home for
              $100,000 to $150,000 and a virtual mansion for $300,000--half of what a
              starter home costs in the metropolitan areas of California.
              Given all of the above, there are plenty of other places in the country
              where the cost of living is equally low or even leas. You can get an
              idea of how the economy in an area is going by checking out the job
              market in the area. There are many job sites out there but one I have
              used is http://www.monster.com/ and with it you can search by job
              category, career field, and area.
              Just one more opinion but hope it helps.

              Paul in Bratislava
              Homebase (for now) in Carlisle, PA
              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                Before making a decision on locating to the US, one
                may want to consider state income taxes:

                http://taxes.about.com/od/statebystate/qt/taxfreestates.htm

                Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.