Re: [Slovak-World] Off Topic - please update on your (US) state's economy

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      Claudia, where do you and the guys work?

      I think since the real estate bubble burst, things
      everywhere are different.

      Caye

      --- Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Lot of guys I work with are considering moving out
      > of Michigan so their kids
      > have a future. This is 2007, and for the first
      > quarter of this year there
      > were an
      > estimated 230,000 foreclosures on homes in Michigan.
      > 1 for every 51
      > phone/addresses.
      > And that doesn't take into account 2002 thru 2006.
      > People are handing over
      > their keys
      > to the bank and walking away here.
      >
      > Is anyone in the US got better economic situation?
      >
      > thanks,
      > Claudia

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHD0)
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        That's good to know since the situation in Ohio is much the same as in
        Michigan. Since my younger
        daughter is dating a Marine stationed at Quantico I'm sure southern VA
        would appeal to her. :-)

        Michelle

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2007
          Hi Claudia,

          Here's my take on California: I've lived in San Diego and in San Jose (south
          of San Francisco) for several years. The economy is booming, particularly in
          IT and Biotechnology so there are plenty of jobs and very good salaries.
          There is a reason why salaries are high though, and that's because the cost
          of living is high too. My husband and I are looking to buy a home, our
          first. Prices for new, small to medium sized homes in the Silicon Valley
          are start at $675,000. I said START. In San Diego prices for new homes are a
          little lower but not by much.

          I've never lived anywhere else besides California (and Slovakia for 5
          years). My great grandparents came out to Buffalo NY to work for the German
          Ambassador to the US in the 1870s. They went back to Germany a few years
          later because they just couldn't get acclimated and missed home. Their son,
          my grandfather, emigrated from Germany to Los Angeles in the early 30s,
          married my Mexican grandma and my family have been in CA ever since. I've
          often wondered what it would be like living "back East" and if I had a
          relative in Buffalo, NY today, would I consider moving out there? The answer
          is probably not. I'm used to California climate, topography, lifestyle, not
          to mention my relatives and family. There is no Slovak culture here in San
          Jose though, (there is in San Diego) but like everyone else, I'm connected
          virtually and communicate with people of Slovak descent or with my husband's
          Slovak family every week through the Internet.

          To move or not move is a very personal and at times heart-wrenching
          experience. We have plenty of proof from the immigrant stories of our
          ancestors. They made their decision in the attempt make their lives better.
          In the end, that's what it comes down to, isn't it? Improving the quality of
          your life? Defining "quality" is the trick though.

          Best of luck to you and your family,

          Margarete Hurn Minar

        • David
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2007
            Come on back to the Lehigh Valley, in the eastern part of the state.
            New 4 and 5 bedroom houses, are half the price that you pay out on
            the west coast. In fact, many people who lived and worked in New York
            City and in Jersey, that had great paying jobs, are selling their
            homes there, making a killing, then come and buy a new home here in
            the Poconos or the Lehigh Valley, bank the rest of the money and live
            like kings...Slovak Kings!
            Check it out. By the way,4 season living can't be beat. You look
            forward toward each season.
            Dave Kuchta

            At 01:16 PM 5/3/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi Claudia,
            >
            >Here's my take on California: I've lived in San Diego and in San Jose (south
            >of San Francisco) for several years. The economy is booming, particularly in
            >IT and Biotechnology so there are plenty of jobs and very good salaries.
            >There is a reason why salaries are high though, and that's because the cost
            >of living is high too. My husband and I are looking to buy a home, our
            >first. Prices for new, small to medium sized homes in the Silicon Valley
            >are start at $675,000. I said START. In San Diego prices for new homes are a
            >little lower but not by much.
            >
            >I've never lived anywhere else besides California (and Slovakia for 5
            >years). My great grandparents came out to Buffalo NY to work for the German
            >Ambassador to the US in the 1870s. They went back to Germany a few years
            >later because they just couldn't get acclimated and missed home. Their son,
            >my grandfather, emigrated from Germany to Los Angeles in the early 30s,
            >married my Mexican grandma and my family have been in CA ever since. I've
            >often wondered what it would be like living "back East" and if I had a
            >relative in Buffalo, NY today, would I consider moving out there? The answer
            >is probably not. I'm used to California climate, topography, lifestyle, not
            >to mention my relatives and family. There is no Slovak culture here in San
            >Jose though, (there is in San Diego) but like everyone else, I'm connected
            >virtually and communicate with people of Slovak descent or with my husband's
            >Slovak family every week through the Internet.
            >
            >To move or not move is a very personal and at times heart-wrenching
            >experience. We have plenty of proof from the immigrant stories of our
            >ancestors. They made their decision in the attempt make their lives better.
            >In the end, that's what it comes down to, isn't it? Improving the quality of
            >your life? Defining "quality" is the trick though.
            >
            >Best of luck to you and your family,
            >
            >Margarete Hurn Minar

          • Haidee Kupecz
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2007
              Fred and George,
              I just wanted to let you know I printed out the pirogi pizza recipe and just made it recently. It turned out pretty good. I still have one pizza left.

              See you later,
              Haidee
              haideec@...

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                Greetings Claudia and group,
                Just had to add my two heller's worth on this subject. Before I landed
                the job in Bratislava, I was competing for a job in San Diego. When I
                went to www.mysalary.com and compared the value of the salary in
                Harrisburg, PA, (I actually live in Carlisle) and San Diego, the check
                said the same salary in San Diego would be worth 43% less! The company
                I was talking to out there wouldn't offer me anywhere near as much as I
                would have needed to maintain my standard of living. I might add that
                South-Central Pennsylvania reminds me a lot of Slovakia in terms of
                terrain, climatology, and agriculture.
                I lived in southern California for three years and still have a house
                there but would not go back. Taxes are high and the cost of living is
                high, as well. I'd love to be near the mountains again but my wife is
                tired of cold weather and snow so we are headed for Florida. Florida's
                economy is strong due to tourism but other sectors are doing well, too.
                For example, there is a pretty decent hi-tech presence in the Orlando
                area. The cost of living in the northwest part of the state is quite
                acceptable, particularly if you live inland from the beach a little bit
                (which is a good idea anyway in case hurricane comes in that direction).
                Where I've been looking one can get a decent single family home for
                $100,000 to $150,000 and a virtual mansion for $300,000--half of what a
                starter home costs in the metropolitan areas of California.
                Given all of the above, there are plenty of other places in the country
                where the cost of living is equally low or even leas. You can get an
                idea of how the economy in an area is going by checking out the job
                market in the area. There are many job sites out there but one I have
                used is http://www.monster.com/ and with it you can search by job
                category, career field, and area.
                Just one more opinion but hope it helps.

                Paul in Bratislava
                Homebase (for now) in Carlisle, PA
                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                  Before making a decision on locating to the US, one
                  may want to consider state income taxes:

                  http://taxes.about.com/od/statebystate/qt/taxfreestates.htm

                  Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.