Re: Off Topic - please update on your (US) state's economy

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      Alaska seems to be doing fine. Haven't checked the statistics because
      it seems quite normal and solid. Real estate is holding its own,
      employment is healthy, and we may have to make a bit of room for Polar
      Bears as the Ice Cap disappears and the animals must adapt to land
      life, but that is more an issue between them and the grizzlys that
      have moved north with the warming.

      Reporting from near Daytona Beach in Florida, where for the next week
      I will be enjoying lighter clothing and more intense sunshine than is
      normal for me ...

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Claudia Medvik" <cmmedvik@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Lot of guys I work with are considering moving out of Michigan so
      their kids
      > have a future. This is 2007, and for the first quarter of this year
      there
      > were an
      > estimated 230,000 foreclosures on homes in Michigan. 1 for every 51
      > phone/addresses.
      > And that doesn't take into account 2002 thru 2006. People are
      handing over
      > their keys
      > to the bank and walking away here.
      >
      > Is anyone in the US got better economic situation?
      >
      > thanks,
      > Claudia

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        Claudia, where do you and the guys work?

        I think since the real estate bubble burst, things
        everywhere are different.

        Caye

        --- Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Lot of guys I work with are considering moving out
        > of Michigan so their kids
        > have a future. This is 2007, and for the first
        > quarter of this year there
        > were an
        > estimated 230,000 foreclosures on homes in Michigan.
        > 1 for every 51
        > phone/addresses.
        > And that doesn't take into account 2002 thru 2006.
        > People are handing over
        > their keys
        > to the bank and walking away here.
        >
        > Is anyone in the US got better economic situation?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Claudia

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHD0)
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2007
          That's good to know since the situation in Ohio is much the same as in
          Michigan. Since my younger
          daughter is dating a Marine stationed at Quantico I'm sure southern VA
          would appeal to her. :-)

          Michelle

          Michelle Maco Mader
          Cleveland, Ohio USA

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2007
            Hi Claudia,

            Here's my take on California: I've lived in San Diego and in San Jose (south
            of San Francisco) for several years. The economy is booming, particularly in
            IT and Biotechnology so there are plenty of jobs and very good salaries.
            There is a reason why salaries are high though, and that's because the cost
            of living is high too. My husband and I are looking to buy a home, our
            first. Prices for new, small to medium sized homes in the Silicon Valley
            are start at $675,000. I said START. In San Diego prices for new homes are a
            little lower but not by much.

            I've never lived anywhere else besides California (and Slovakia for 5
            years). My great grandparents came out to Buffalo NY to work for the German
            Ambassador to the US in the 1870s. They went back to Germany a few years
            later because they just couldn't get acclimated and missed home. Their son,
            my grandfather, emigrated from Germany to Los Angeles in the early 30s,
            married my Mexican grandma and my family have been in CA ever since. I've
            often wondered what it would be like living "back East" and if I had a
            relative in Buffalo, NY today, would I consider moving out there? The answer
            is probably not. I'm used to California climate, topography, lifestyle, not
            to mention my relatives and family. There is no Slovak culture here in San
            Jose though, (there is in San Diego) but like everyone else, I'm connected
            virtually and communicate with people of Slovak descent or with my husband's
            Slovak family every week through the Internet.

            To move or not move is a very personal and at times heart-wrenching
            experience. We have plenty of proof from the immigrant stories of our
            ancestors. They made their decision in the attempt make their lives better.
            In the end, that's what it comes down to, isn't it? Improving the quality of
            your life? Defining "quality" is the trick though.

            Best of luck to you and your family,

            Margarete Hurn Minar

          • David
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2007
              Come on back to the Lehigh Valley, in the eastern part of the state.
              New 4 and 5 bedroom houses, are half the price that you pay out on
              the west coast. In fact, many people who lived and worked in New York
              City and in Jersey, that had great paying jobs, are selling their
              homes there, making a killing, then come and buy a new home here in
              the Poconos or the Lehigh Valley, bank the rest of the money and live
              like kings...Slovak Kings!
              Check it out. By the way,4 season living can't be beat. You look
              forward toward each season.
              Dave Kuchta

              At 01:16 PM 5/3/2007, you wrote:

              >Hi Claudia,
              >
              >Here's my take on California: I've lived in San Diego and in San Jose (south
              >of San Francisco) for several years. The economy is booming, particularly in
              >IT and Biotechnology so there are plenty of jobs and very good salaries.
              >There is a reason why salaries are high though, and that's because the cost
              >of living is high too. My husband and I are looking to buy a home, our
              >first. Prices for new, small to medium sized homes in the Silicon Valley
              >are start at $675,000. I said START. In San Diego prices for new homes are a
              >little lower but not by much.
              >
              >I've never lived anywhere else besides California (and Slovakia for 5
              >years). My great grandparents came out to Buffalo NY to work for the German
              >Ambassador to the US in the 1870s. They went back to Germany a few years
              >later because they just couldn't get acclimated and missed home. Their son,
              >my grandfather, emigrated from Germany to Los Angeles in the early 30s,
              >married my Mexican grandma and my family have been in CA ever since. I've
              >often wondered what it would be like living "back East" and if I had a
              >relative in Buffalo, NY today, would I consider moving out there? The answer
              >is probably not. I'm used to California climate, topography, lifestyle, not
              >to mention my relatives and family. There is no Slovak culture here in San
              >Jose though, (there is in San Diego) but like everyone else, I'm connected
              >virtually and communicate with people of Slovak descent or with my husband's
              >Slovak family every week through the Internet.
              >
              >To move or not move is a very personal and at times heart-wrenching
              >experience. We have plenty of proof from the immigrant stories of our
              >ancestors. They made their decision in the attempt make their lives better.
              >In the end, that's what it comes down to, isn't it? Improving the quality of
              >your life? Defining "quality" is the trick though.
              >
              >Best of luck to you and your family,
              >
              >Margarete Hurn Minar

            • Haidee Kupecz
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                Fred and George,
                I just wanted to let you know I printed out the pirogi pizza recipe and just made it recently. It turned out pretty good. I still have one pizza left.

                See you later,
                Haidee
                haideec@...

                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                  Greetings Claudia and group,
                  Just had to add my two heller's worth on this subject. Before I landed
                  the job in Bratislava, I was competing for a job in San Diego. When I
                  went to www.mysalary.com and compared the value of the salary in
                  Harrisburg, PA, (I actually live in Carlisle) and San Diego, the check
                  said the same salary in San Diego would be worth 43% less! The company
                  I was talking to out there wouldn't offer me anywhere near as much as I
                  would have needed to maintain my standard of living. I might add that
                  South-Central Pennsylvania reminds me a lot of Slovakia in terms of
                  terrain, climatology, and agriculture.
                  I lived in southern California for three years and still have a house
                  there but would not go back. Taxes are high and the cost of living is
                  high, as well. I'd love to be near the mountains again but my wife is
                  tired of cold weather and snow so we are headed for Florida. Florida's
                  economy is strong due to tourism but other sectors are doing well, too.
                  For example, there is a pretty decent hi-tech presence in the Orlando
                  area. The cost of living in the northwest part of the state is quite
                  acceptable, particularly if you live inland from the beach a little bit
                  (which is a good idea anyway in case hurricane comes in that direction).
                  Where I've been looking one can get a decent single family home for
                  $100,000 to $150,000 and a virtual mansion for $300,000--half of what a
                  starter home costs in the metropolitan areas of California.
                  Given all of the above, there are plenty of other places in the country
                  where the cost of living is equally low or even leas. You can get an
                  idea of how the economy in an area is going by checking out the job
                  market in the area. There are many job sites out there but one I have
                  used is http://www.monster.com/ and with it you can search by job
                  category, career field, and area.
                  Just one more opinion but hope it helps.

                  Paul in Bratislava
                  Homebase (for now) in Carlisle, PA
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                    Before making a decision on locating to the US, one
                    may want to consider state income taxes:

                    http://taxes.about.com/od/statebystate/qt/taxfreestates.htm

                    Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.