Re: Our ancestors

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 5, 2007
      I will add to that a reference to our northern neighbors, the Poles.
      After the war they built the giant steelworks next to Kracow - Nova
      Huta. I take huta to mean any high-temperature smelting operation,
      steel, glass or otherwise.

      I was surprised and delighted to once run across a stone tower in the
      eastern USA, off in the woods. It was listed locally as a very early
      steelworks! It looked to be not much more than a stone chimney...
      but our ancestors had to start somewhere.

      > In dictionaries, just "huta" is given as "smelting works" or
      "smeltery". The 1997 SAP dictionary also has "sklarska huta" as a
      "glass works". The historical dictionary (_Historicky slovnik
      slovenskeho jazyka_) gives 'smelting works' as definition #1, while
      #2 has "zavod na sklarske a i nekovove vyrobky" (a works for glass and
      other non-metal products), giving two examples (the earliest example
      from 1585) of "sklenna huta". "Huta" can also be used with other
      adjectives, such as "solna huta" (salt works) and "syrkova [sirovy]
      huta" (sulphur works).

      > Ron, enjoyed what you and Vlad wrote. So many of the tools in the
      Slovak museums and skansens are so beautifully made and decorated.

      > Re "huta" I had heard that a "huta" was a place where glass was
      made - like a glass works - there are a nujmber of places in Slovakia
      that have a smaller place nearby that the name ends in "Huta". I was
      told this about Livovska Huta near Bardejov.

      > i would love to have someone confirm that this is true or does
      huta mean foundry or factory also?

> [...]
      > armies of troops on skis for the winter fighting. We tend to think of
      > these things as isolated in use or development and not in terms of how
      > international or widespread they were. We need more people expanding
      > upon these aspects of our history - if there is a paying market for
      > this in the English language world.
      >
      > Now I do expect most thoughts will spring to farm and household
      > instruments rather than cottage industry or village industry
      > activities. We can see these tools in the Skansens in Slovakia, but
      > finding a write-up on how they were made or the woods that were chosen
      > for which purpose is lacking. The closest I come to that is a book
      > from East Germany, "Historische Werkstatten" from 1989. He takes an
      > even 50 occupations for different trades and describes in pictures and
      > words how they went about their business in the old days. Assuming
      > that similar technology spread all over Europe, the book gives a good
      > indication of what life was like for the different trades.
      >
      > In Sulin the Creek Palenicky jarok translates to 'Charcoal Creek" in
      > Slovak or the preferable "Distillery Creek" in Rusyn. It would be
      > nice to know if the landlord had an official distillery there or if
      > the citizens were so industrious on their own.... I have read about
      > how impoverished the itinerant charcoal makers were, and it is
      > fascinating to read how they built and carefully maintained the
      > charcoal producing mounds.
      >
      > Sulin also had a flour mill that is now in the Skansen below Stara
      > Lubovna castle. I must wonder how many planted acres does it take to
      > support a flour mill, the family of the miller and his helpers, and
      > provide a share of income for the local lord as well. In the same
      > fashion, I also wonder how many pounds of grapes it takes to produce a
      > liter of wine. (that later is more of a south-Slovakia question!)
      >
      > Back on the farm, I believe there is a passage in Michener's "Poland"
      > that describes how a farmer guided and shaped the growth of several
      > trees so that they would form pitch forks, and as one wore out the
      > next one would be properly developed for harvesting and use.
      >
      > It was evidently a fascinating world we know so little about. Thanks
      > for bringing up the topic. I hope we get some interesting replies!
      >
      > Ron
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, <konekta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > One thought came to my mind;
      > > Everybody is so interested in churches, homes, weddings,
      > costumes........
      > > but not a single person ever expressed interest in tools ancestors
      > were > using every day in their hard work. Tools, that mostly were
      > home made. Many > out of wood.
      > > There was nothing they did without tools.
      > > Once I visited an old house in Myjava hills, which was bought by
      > Bratislava > guy, to use it as a weekend cottage.
      > > This man burned all the tools he found there in one big fire. What a
      > sad > view to see those brave companions of Myjava men being turned to

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 11, 2007
        Dear Maxine,

        I am happy to hear that you liked the pictures. I
        still have relatives living in Livov (not the huta);
        they are somewhere around third or fourth cousins with
        some of those "removed" qualifications which means we
        skipped a generation somewhere.

        I see no reason for a language to be a barrier to you
        living there. The kids in the town will flock to you
        to hear you and learn English and you will have the
        marvelous opportunity to learn the language from the
        kid's words along with those of the adults. Go ahead
        and find a place in Slovakia and LIVE!

        Best wishes.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

        > Dr Q. thanks for sending the pictures, they were
        > wonderful. The thing I love most when seeing these
        > pictures is how simple the people live. I visited 2
        > years ago and every time I see these pictures it
        > makes me feel like I want to go back. For the people
        > who have NOT visited, THIS is what the villages and
        > towns look like and exactly how the people live!
        > Their live is hard but simple. It is a beautiful way
        > to live. They help and know each other, it is like
        > one big family. They have some modern things,
        > however, most of them live like they did years ago.
        > The countryside is so pretty and the smoke from
        > their houses swirling about, and walking where your
        > people walked, were born and died, it over whelms
        > you. I have been considering purchasing a house
        > there to live a few months out of the year-- the
        > only thing stopping me is the language. I have
        > many, many pictures on my walls of my village and I
        > made one room in my house look somewhat like the
        > inside of a village house. thanks maxine sasala

        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html