Re: Our ancestors

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 4, 2007
      You bring up a good point, Vlad. We have a hand axe in the family
      reputed to have been forged by our grandfather. That is one topic I
      have never brought up with the cousins in Sulin, and I have never
      heard reference to a blacksmith shop or local forging. There was a
      glass foundry, presumably to produce glass for bottles of the exported
      Sulin water, though again I never heard of a bottle factory, just the
      'hutta' or foundry. Neighboring Maly Lipnik also produced glass from
      what I read.

      It seems tough to run across English language references that speak of
      any tools in the Slavic lands. There are write-ups and sketches in
      the Ethnography Atlas and English write-ups in 'Slovakia, European
      Contexts of the Folk Culture'. A visit to the Ethnographic Museum in
      Budapest is recommendable for anyone passing through that beautiful
      city. They have a great display of folk costumes, houses and tools on
      display for many of the different peoples that lived in old Greater
      Hungary. The two newsletters produced by Helena C. and Vlad L. may
      occasionally touch on the topic, but I can't recall of any articles at
      the moment.

      I was fortunate to see some of the wooden wagons and tools on my first
      visits to Slovakia and even helped toss up a hay stack or two, which
      taught e how they get those tall, thin parabolic haystacks (on the
      stem of a fir tree). It makes me wonder how big the haystack was
      that my great-uncle hid in to get away from Franz Josef's troops.
      They tore his pants with the pitchfork but did not get him for WW I.

      Our western history certainly short-changes central and Eastern Europe
      when it comes to writing up everything from hand tools to home made
      musical instruments. In America we automatically think of Scotland
      for bag pipes and Switzerland for alpine horns, but both were part of
      life in the Carpathians as well. When we think of skiing we think
      perhaps of Scandinavia or the Alps, but during Pugachev's revolt in
      Russia, around the time of the American Revolution, they fielded
      armies of troops on skis for the winter fighting. We tend to think of
      these things as isolated in use or development and not in terms of how
      international or widespread they were. We need more people expanding
      upon these aspects of our history - if there is a paying market for
      this in the English language world.

      Now I do expect most thoughts will spring to farm and household
      instruments rather than cottage industry or village industry
      activities. We can see these tools in the Skansens in Slovakia, but
      finding a write-up on how they were made or the woods that were chosen
      for which purpose is lacking. The closest I come to that is a book
      from East Germany, "Historische Werkstatten" from 1989. He takes an
      even 50 occupations for different trades and describes in pictures and
      words how they went about their business in the old days. Assuming
      that similar technology spread all over Europe, the book gives a good
      indication of what life was like for the different trades.

      In Sulin the Creek Palenicky jarok translates to 'Charcoal Creek" in
      Slovak or the preferable "Distillery Creek" in Rusyn. It would be
      nice to know if the landlord had an official distillery there or if
      the citizens were so industrious on their own.... I have read about
      how impoverished the itinerant charcoal makers were, and it is
      fascinating to read how they built and carefully maintained the
      charcoal producing mounds.

      Sulin also had a flour mill that is now in the Skansen below Stara
      Lubovna castle. I must wonder how many planted acres does it take to
      support a flour mill, the family of the miller and his helpers, and
      provide a share of income for the local lord as well. In the same
      fashion, I also wonder how many pounds of grapes it takes to produce a
      liter of wine. (that later is more of a south-Slovakia question!)

      Back on the farm, I believe there is a passage in Michener's "Poland"
      that describes how a farmer guided and shaped the growth of several
      trees so that they would form pitch forks, and as one wore out the
      next one would be properly developed for harvesting and use.

      It was evidently a fascinating world we know so little about. Thanks
      for bringing up the topic. I hope we get some interesting replies!

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, <konekta@...> wrote:

      > One thought came to my mind;
      > Everybody is so interested in churches, homes, weddings,
      costumes........
      > but not a single person ever expressed interest in tools ancestors
      were > using every day in their hard work. Tools, that mostly were
      home made. Many > out of wood.
      > There was nothing they did without tools.
      > Once I visited an old house in Myjava hills, which was bought by
      Bratislava > guy, to use it as a weekend cottage.
      > This man burned all the tools he found there in one big fire. What a
      sad > view to see those brave companions of Myjava men being turned to
      ashes. A > tool can speak volumes.
      > Vladimir

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 11, 2007
        Dear Maxine,

        I am happy to hear that you liked the pictures. I
        still have relatives living in Livov (not the huta);
        they are somewhere around third or fourth cousins with
        some of those "removed" qualifications which means we
        skipped a generation somewhere.

        I see no reason for a language to be a barrier to you
        living there. The kids in the town will flock to you
        to hear you and learn English and you will have the
        marvelous opportunity to learn the language from the
        kid's words along with those of the adults. Go ahead
        and find a place in Slovakia and LIVE!

        Best wishes.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

        > Dr Q. thanks for sending the pictures, they were
        > wonderful. The thing I love most when seeing these
        > pictures is how simple the people live. I visited 2
        > years ago and every time I see these pictures it
        > makes me feel like I want to go back. For the people
        > who have NOT visited, THIS is what the villages and
        > towns look like and exactly how the people live!
        > Their live is hard but simple. It is a beautiful way
        > to live. They help and know each other, it is like
        > one big family. They have some modern things,
        > however, most of them live like they did years ago.
        > The countryside is so pretty and the smoke from
        > their houses swirling about, and walking where your
        > people walked, were born and died, it over whelms
        > you. I have been considering purchasing a house
        > there to live a few months out of the year-- the
        > only thing stopping me is the language. I have
        > many, many pictures on my walls of my village and I
        > made one room in my house look somewhat like the
        > inside of a village house. thanks maxine sasala

        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html