Our ancestors

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 4, 2007
      One thought came to my mind;
      Everybody is so interested in churches, homes, weddings, costumes........
      but not a single person ever expressed interest in tools ancestors were
      using every day in their hard work. Tools, that mostly were home made. Many
      out of wood.
      There was nothing they did without tools.
      Once I visited an old house in Myjava hills, which was bought by Bratislava
      guy, to use it as a weekend cottage.
      This man burned all the tools he found there in one big fire. What a sad
      view to see those brave companions of Myjava men being turned to ashes. A
      tool can speak volumes.
      Vladimir

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 11, 2007
        Dear Maxine,

        I am happy to hear that you liked the pictures. I
        still have relatives living in Livov (not the huta);
        they are somewhere around third or fourth cousins with
        some of those "removed" qualifications which means we
        skipped a generation somewhere.

        I see no reason for a language to be a barrier to you
        living there. The kids in the town will flock to you
        to hear you and learn English and you will have the
        marvelous opportunity to learn the language from the
        kid's words along with those of the adults. Go ahead
        and find a place in Slovakia and LIVE!

        Best wishes.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

        > Dr Q. thanks for sending the pictures, they were
        > wonderful. The thing I love most when seeing these
        > pictures is how simple the people live. I visited 2
        > years ago and every time I see these pictures it
        > makes me feel like I want to go back. For the people
        > who have NOT visited, THIS is what the villages and
        > towns look like and exactly how the people live!
        > Their live is hard but simple. It is a beautiful way
        > to live. They help and know each other, it is like
        > one big family. They have some modern things,
        > however, most of them live like they did years ago.
        > The countryside is so pretty and the smoke from
        > their houses swirling about, and walking where your
        > people walked, were born and died, it over whelms
        > you. I have been considering purchasing a house
        > there to live a few months out of the year-- the
        > only thing stopping me is the language. I have
        > many, many pictures on my walls of my village and I
        > made one room in my house look somewhat like the
        > inside of a village house. thanks maxine sasala

        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html