Re: [Slovak-World] Spring Slovakia magazine

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
      Dear Slovak World Friends,

      Happy Easter!

      The Spring issue of Slovakia magazine published by the Slovak Heritage & Folklore Society International features an article on "Easter Memories" by Sylvia Marcinko Chai; Flutist Dennette Derbis McDermott tells how she used flutes to build bridges between Slovakia and America; Slovak Proverbs are featured in an article by Ginny Parobek and Margaret Hurn Minar describes her recent American-Slovak wedding in Topolcianky Castle in December.

      This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village homes in the background. The back features a colorful painting of an ancient spring custom and two pictures of ritual Easter baskets - one shows the embroidered basket cover and the second gives a peek inside to the decorated eggs and other Easter foods inside ready to be blessed.

      If you would like a sample copy please send $2 to Helene Cincebeaux, 151 Colebrook Dr, Rochester NY 14617.

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007

        > This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a
        > charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her
        > babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village
        > homes in the background.

        Helene, who is the artist for that amazing watercolor? I'm planning
        to frame the cover, it's so beautiful!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
          Julie - I love it too - i wish I knew the artist - this work is hauntingly beautiful - found it on an old postcard that came from Slovakia but usuallly they note the artist on the back -was nothing there and no signature on the watercolor - maybe someone on SW will recognize the style and tell us who created it. I would love to know!

          helene

          "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

          > This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a
          > charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her
          > babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village
          > homes in the background.

          Helene, who is the artist for that amazing watercolor? I'm planning
          to frame the cover, it's so beautiful!

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

        • Debra Strezenec
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
            Helene:

            Can't wait! Check is already in the mail! Have a great holiday!

            Debra Strezenec

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
              Vlad,
              You asked if anyone had any other Easter greeting. Let me tell you the
              greetings I grew up with .
              First a little history of the people who were in my church in Perth
              Amboy, NJ. The parish was formally organized in 1897 . The earliest parishoners
              were immigrants from the Carpathian mountain region of Eastern Slovakia and
              early services were held in Church Slavonic. Ukranians, Russians , Serbians and
              Hungarians all worshipped at St. Johns until they could organize their own
              churches .
              My great grandparents roots are from Jakubany.

              This is the Easter Greeting I grew up with:
              Christos Voskrese................Christ is Risen ! (Greeting)

              Voinstinnu Voskerese..........Indeed He Is Risen! (Response)

              Happy Easter to All,
              Elaine Nemeth
              Burkard

              Family tree names(Hrebik, Duffala, Bondra )

            • danielkishaprofile
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 7, 2007
                Slovak World Family

                I too would like to wish every one of you and yours a Very Happy Easter

                Dan Kisha
              • Vlad Nad
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 10, 2007
                  Thanks Dr. Q for your help with the Easter greeting, sorry for the time lag in thanking you and others who helped.

                  Vlad

                  "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote: Veselu' vel'ku' noc - Happy Easter

                  Vesele' vel'konoc^ne' sviatky - Happy and blessed
                  Easter

                  Poz^ehnane vel'konoc^ne' sviatky praje - something
                  like "greetings and best wishes for a happy and
                  blessed Easter"

                  Dr. "Q"

                  --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

                  > Ahoj all,
                  >
                  > Does anyone have any Slovak easter greetings?
                  > Thanks for yor help.
                  >

                  > Vlad

                  Be a PS3 game guru.

                • Dr. Joe Q
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 10, 2007
                    You are welcome. No apology necessary, it has been a
                    busy time.

                    Take care.

                    Dr. "Q"

                    --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Dr. Q for your help with the Easter greeting,
                    > sorry for the time lag in thanking you and others
                    > who helped.
                    >
                    > Vlad
                    >
                    > "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
                    > Veselu' vel'ku' noc - Happy
                    > Easter
                    >
                    > Vesele' vel'konoc^ne' sviatky - Happy and blessed
                    > Easter
                    >
                    > Poz^ehnane vel'konoc^ne' sviatky praje - something
                    > like "greetings and best wishes for a happy and
                    > blessed Easter"
                    >
                    > Dr. "Q"
                    >
                    > --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Ahoj all,
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone have any Slovak easter greetings?
                    > > Thanks for yor help.
                    > >

                    > > Vlad

                    TV dinner still cooling?
                    http://tv.yahoo.com/
                  • Vlad Nad
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 24, 2007
                      Dear List members,

                      "our grandfather died just one hour ago at the age of 87."

                      I just received the above short email from Slovakia, In addition to an English reply, I wish to include a short condolence in Slovak. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

                      Vlad

                    • Vlad Nad
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 15, 2007
                        Oh well, near as I can tell, no one responded.

                        Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote: Dear List members,

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 15, 2007
                          If I had gotten this earlier I would have replied
                          sooner.

                          But I speak no Slovak.

                          --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

                          > Oh well, near as I can tell, no one responded.
                          >
                          > Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:
                          > Dear List members,
                          >
                          > "our grandfather died just one hour ago at the age
                          > of 87."
                          >
                          > I just received the above short email from
                          > Slovakia, In addition to an English reply, I wish to
                          > include a short condolence in Slovak. Any help is
                          > appreciated, thank you.
                          >
                          > Vlad

                          > removed]

                          > removed]

                        • haluska
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                            Happy Easter Everyone!
                            Dennis
                          • John J. Nadzam
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                              Ditto!!!!!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                                Dennis and all,
                                A Happy and Blessed Easter to everyone.
                                Reen

                              • Cmurraycamphill@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                                  Same Here. Happy Easter

                                  In a message dated 4/4/2010 8:43:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  jjrail@... writes:

                                  Ditto!!!!!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                                    Alleluia, the Lord Has Risen!