Re: [Slovak-World] Easter

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
      Veselu' vel'ku' noc - Happy Easter

      Vesele' vel'konoc^ne' sviatky - Happy and blessed
      Easter

      Poz^ehnane vel'konoc^ne' sviatky praje - something
      like "greetings and best wishes for a happy and
      blessed Easter"

      Dr. "Q"

      --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

      > Ahoj all,
      >
      > Does anyone have any Slovak easter greetings?
      > Thanks for yor help.
      >

      > Vlad

      Be a PS3 game guru.
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
        Dear Slovak World Friends,

        Happy Easter!

        The Spring issue of Slovakia magazine published by the Slovak Heritage & Folklore Society International features an article on "Easter Memories" by Sylvia Marcinko Chai; Flutist Dennette Derbis McDermott tells how she used flutes to build bridges between Slovakia and America; Slovak Proverbs are featured in an article by Ginny Parobek and Margaret Hurn Minar describes her recent American-Slovak wedding in Topolcianky Castle in December.

        This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village homes in the background. The back features a colorful painting of an ancient spring custom and two pictures of ritual Easter baskets - one shows the embroidered basket cover and the second gives a peek inside to the decorated eggs and other Easter foods inside ready to be blessed.

        If you would like a sample copy please send $2 to Helene Cincebeaux, 151 Colebrook Dr, Rochester NY 14617.

      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007

          > This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a
          > charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her
          > babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village
          > homes in the background.

          Helene, who is the artist for that amazing watercolor? I'm planning
          to frame the cover, it's so beautiful!

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
            Julie - I love it too - i wish I knew the artist - this work is hauntingly beautiful - found it on an old postcard that came from Slovakia but usuallly they note the artist on the back -was nothing there and no signature on the watercolor - maybe someone on SW will recognize the style and tell us who created it. I would love to know!

            helene

            "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

            > This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a
            > charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her
            > babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village
            > homes in the background.

            Helene, who is the artist for that amazing watercolor? I'm planning
            to frame the cover, it's so beautiful!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

          • Debra Strezenec
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
              Helene:

              Can't wait! Check is already in the mail! Have a great holiday!

              Debra Strezenec

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                Vlad,
                You asked if anyone had any other Easter greeting. Let me tell you the
                greetings I grew up with .
                First a little history of the people who were in my church in Perth
                Amboy, NJ. The parish was formally organized in 1897 . The earliest parishoners
                were immigrants from the Carpathian mountain region of Eastern Slovakia and
                early services were held in Church Slavonic. Ukranians, Russians , Serbians and
                Hungarians all worshipped at St. Johns until they could organize their own
                churches .
                My great grandparents roots are from Jakubany.

                This is the Easter Greeting I grew up with:
                Christos Voskrese................Christ is Risen ! (Greeting)

                Voinstinnu Voskerese..........Indeed He Is Risen! (Response)

                Happy Easter to All,
                Elaine Nemeth
                Burkard

                Family tree names(Hrebik, Duffala, Bondra )

              • danielkishaprofile
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 7, 2007
                  Slovak World Family

                  I too would like to wish every one of you and yours a Very Happy Easter

                  Dan Kisha
                • Vlad Nad
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 10, 2007
                    Thanks Dr. Q for your help with the Easter greeting, sorry for the time lag in thanking you and others who helped.

                    Vlad

                    "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote: Veselu' vel'ku' noc - Happy Easter

                    --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

                    > Ahoj all,
                    >
                    > Does anyone have any Slovak easter greetings?
                    > Thanks for yor help.
                    >

                    > Vlad

                    Be a PS3 game guru.

                  • Dr. Joe Q
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 10, 2007
                      You are welcome. No apology necessary, it has been a
                      busy time.

                      Take care.

                      Dr. "Q"

                      --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Dr. Q for your help with the Easter greeting,
                      > sorry for the time lag in thanking you and others
                      > who helped.
                      >
                      > Vlad
                      >
                      > "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
                      > Veselu' vel'ku' noc - Happy
                      > Easter
                      >
                      > Vesele' vel'konoc^ne' sviatky - Happy and blessed
                      > Easter
                      >
                      > Poz^ehnane vel'konoc^ne' sviatky praje - something
                      > like "greetings and best wishes for a happy and
                      > blessed Easter"
                      >
                      > Dr. "Q"
                      >
                      > --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Ahoj all,
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone have any Slovak easter greetings?
                      > > Thanks for yor help.
                      > >

                      > > Vlad

                      TV dinner still cooling?
                      http://tv.yahoo.com/
                    • Vlad Nad
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 24 9:40 AM
                        Dear List members,

                        "our grandfather died just one hour ago at the age of 87."

                        I just received the above short email from Slovakia, In addition to an English reply, I wish to include a short condolence in Slovak. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

                        Vlad

                      • Vlad Nad
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 15, 2007
                          Oh well, near as I can tell, no one responded.

                          Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote: Dear List members,

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 15, 2007
                            If I had gotten this earlier I would have replied
                            sooner.

                            But I speak no Slovak.

                            --- Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

                            > Oh well, near as I can tell, no one responded.
                            >
                            > Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:
                            > Dear List members,
                            >
                            > "our grandfather died just one hour ago at the age
                            > of 87."
                            >
                            > I just received the above short email from
                            > Slovakia, In addition to an English reply, I wish to
                            > include a short condolence in Slovak. Any help is
                            > appreciated, thank you.
                            >
                            > Vlad

                            > removed]

                            > removed]

                          • haluska
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                              Happy Easter Everyone!
                              Dennis
                            • John J. Nadzam
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                                Ditto!!!!!

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                                  Dennis and all,
                                  A Happy and Blessed Easter to everyone.
                                  Reen

                                • Cmurraycamphill@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                                    Same Here. Happy Easter

                                    In a message dated 4/4/2010 8:43:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    jjrail@... writes:

                                    Ditto!!!!!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                                      Alleluia, the Lord Has Risen!