Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Skype

  • David
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
      Ditto for me. I am the president of a tour mine with the potential of
      350 millian tons of coal in the Panther Valley, that maybe the
      government might want to take it over to produce coal to fight the
      enemy. I guess "Big Brother," don't care about us little peons in
      Slovak World. Then again...Who knows who the "Secret Agent," that is
      amongst us, that is watching every move we make?
      Just having a little fun,
      Miner Dave

    • Paul Guzowski
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
        Just my two crowns' worth in this discussion...

        I have been using Skype for over five years now and it has been my
        lifeline home since I have been living and working in Central/Eastern
        Europe during that time and separated from my family. I also use Skype
        Out to make phone calls to landlines and mobile phones when my contact
        does not have a Skype account or is away from the computer. I pay two
        eurocents a minute to call phones in the States. This is invaluable for
        calling my bank, my credit card company, my insurance company, etc.
        because even though they have 800 numbers I would still have to pay the
        overseas phone charge which from Bratislava is not cheap.

        Skype, like any communications software, can open your computer up to
        attack when it is connected to the internet. Skype, the company,
        vehemently denies any association with spyware, adware, and/or malware.
        See this link: http://www.skype.com/download/adwarefree/
        Someone bundling (and probably illegally) Skype's software with
        something else might not have such high business ethics.

        I agree with Dr. "Q" regarding firewalls. In fact, I think it is just
        part of safe computing. The old saying used to be "There are those who
        have lost data and those who will" but now there is a new corollary,
        "There are those who have had a virus attack or spyware installation and
        those who will." If you have a firewall isntalled, a good anti-virus
        program that you update once a week and a good anti-spyware program that
        you run once a week, then you have very little chance of suffering from
        anything untoward. If you run your virus scanner and anti-spyware
        program routinely, you'll find and eliminate the few that might get
        through. Regularly updating your operating system if you are using
        Windows and don't have automatic updates configured also helps to reduce
        your vulnerability. I look at each of these software packages like a
        slice of swiss cheese, each one has holes in it but as long as they
        don't all line up the attacker can't get through... Periodic updates
        help to close these holes.

        Windows users are clearly the biggest target because they constitute by
        far the largest number of targets. MAC and Linux users are far less
        vulnerable because the operating systems themselves are more secure than
        Windows and they constitute a much smaller target group. Since I
        started running Linux as my preferred operating system about eight years
        ago, my anti-virus scanner has never found a suspicious file on my
        system that has made it through my firewall. Ditto for adware/spyware.

        Sorry this has been a bit long but I don't think people should shy away
        from something useful, they should just be careful.

        Other than Skype and Windows, I haven't mentioned any particular
        firewall, anti-virus or anti-spyware programs but am happy to tell you
        which ones I use and there some very good ones out there that are free
        for personal use. Contact me directly if you are interested.

        Paul in Bratislava
        Homebase in Carlisle, PA
      • David
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hi: Some records are kept, which ones where distroyed is another
          matter. Sad as it is, most records in time are lost or
          distroyed.There were a lot of different mine companies not connected
          with each another.
          Dave

        • e.gernat@att.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
            From: David <humblebe@...>

            > Ditto for me. I am the president of a tour mine with the potential of
            > 350 millian tons of coal in the Panther Valley, that maybe the
            > government might want to take it over to produce coal to fight the
            > enemy. I guess "Big Brother," don't care about us little peons in
            > Slovak World. Then again...Who knows who the "Secret Agent," that is
            > amongst us, that is watching every move we make?
            > Just having a little fun,
            > Miner Dave
            >
            > At 09:58 PM 4/1/2007, you wrote:
            >
            > >With Big Brother in Washington D.C.and the un-Patriot Act allowing
            > >domestic spying, I am to worry about Skype? Besides, the encription
            > >in Skype is supposed to give Big Brother heartburn.
            > >
            > >Thanks for the word on the spy ware, I will check it out. In the
            > >world today I don't plan on keeping many secrets.
            > >
            > >Ron
            > >
            > >--- In
            > ><mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,
            > >"Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I don't want to dump water on the interest in Skype;
            > > > however, you should read the EULA (end users license
            > > > agreement). The thing is shot full of spyware. This
            > > > is typical of this type of technology - a twist on PTP
            > > > = peer to peer connection.
            > > >
            > > > I was going to use it years ago. I downloaded the
            > > > file but did not install it.
            > > >
            > > > Do this Google search:
            > > >
            > > > Skype Spyware
            > > >
            > > > Evaluate what you find. There are a number of over
            > > > reactive individuals who exaggerate their experience
            > > > and the risk. I suggest you consider what you are
            > > > opening up to and install a very good firewall like
            > > > ZobeAlarm Pro - pay the $40. It is worth it. I have
            > > > used ZoenAlarm for over 10 years.
            > > >
            > > > <http://www.zonealarm.com/>http://www.zonealarm.com/
            > > >
            > > > Dr. "Q"

            > > <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "durisek"

            > > > TV dinner still cooling?
            > > > Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.
            > > > <http://tv.yahoo.com/>http://tv.yahoo.com/

          • danielkishaprofile
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2007
              Have been using Skype for about a year now and think it is really great
              for talking and viewing to Slovakia, plus transfering pictures, files,
              etc. So far it has not cost me a cent except for the microphone and
              headset, which I had already, plus the small camera. My experience is
              that Europeans use it a lot more than Americans do, but I could be
              wrong. Probably because most people in the US have unlimited calling,
              like I do, where in Slovakia they pay for every call and the minutes of
              the call.
            • Lil Junas
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 11, 2007
                Zuzka:
                I trashed all the S-W messages about Skype cuz I wasn't interested at
                the time. Then today I heard from my friend in Slovakia. She said she
                got Skype and talks to her son in the Czech Republic. She aked why I
                don't get it so we can talk. But I'm not into gadgetry. I have a new
                flat screen iMAC which has a tiny "camera" on top of the monitor. A
                person with a similar setup could see and talk to each other through
                this. I wonder if this can be ted into Skype? Just wondering how the
                mike and camera fit onto the screen? Why can't the volume on your
                computer act as the sound?
                Lil

                On 4/1/07, durisek <durisek@...> wrote:
                > Hi all...
                > I've just signed on to skype.com, which is a free service for e-mail where you can see and talk to anyone with a e-mail address and a skype ID. It is great for getting together with relatives and friends from Europe.... many Slovaks use it. You do need a clip-on camera/mike or something similar that fits on top of your screen... I got mine at Best Buys for $40, and it just plugs in. It was so exciting to see people from abroad talking to me.
                > If you have a skype ID, share it with me and I'll talk with you, too! I am cootiebuggie.
                > Smiles... Zuzka D.

                "To be nobdy but myself."
              • Lil Junas
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 11, 2007

                  --
                  "To be nobdy but myself."
                • durisek
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12, 2007
                    Hi Lil...
                    I am a techno-dolt, so not the best person to give advice, but I think you are right.... the camera already in the computer should work, and I assume it also has a microphone receiver (because you not only need something that will speak to you, but something that picks up your voice, too). I had to get a clip-on because my screen doesn't have a camera built-in. Then, you need to subscribe to skype, and follow the instructions there to get going. You'll need your friend's skype ID to send her a message that you are using Skype.
                    Maybe some of the other SW folks who know what they're doing will offer some advice, too.
                    Good luck! Zuzka

                  • Dr. Joe Q
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2007
                      http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/

                      http://share.skype.com/sites/mac/

                      Hope it works for you. If you leave your computer on
                      all the time you should disconnect from the internet
                      or Skype will turn your system into a node. A
                      firewall can prevent that, but you do have to be a bit
                      techy to make that work selectively.

                      Dr. "Q"

                      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.