RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Skype

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
      I have another PC at home, which my son is using. He has skype and since
      then the PC is always full of viruses and spyware. NOD catches many, but
      there still are weird things like PC is sonstantly sending and receiving
      something without my control. Even with Skype switched off. I don't like
      that at all. People are being lured into something they don't know what it
      really is.
      We are all being spied on by big data collectors.Lots of strings attached.
      Vladimir

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
        Ditto for me. I am the president of a tour mine with the potential of
        350 millian tons of coal in the Panther Valley, that maybe the
        government might want to take it over to produce coal to fight the
        enemy. I guess "Big Brother," don't care about us little peons in
        Slovak World. Then again...Who knows who the "Secret Agent," that is
        amongst us, that is watching every move we make?
        Just having a little fun,
        Miner Dave

      • Paul Guzowski
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
          Just my two crowns' worth in this discussion...

          I have been using Skype for over five years now and it has been my
          lifeline home since I have been living and working in Central/Eastern
          Europe during that time and separated from my family. I also use Skype
          Out to make phone calls to landlines and mobile phones when my contact
          does not have a Skype account or is away from the computer. I pay two
          eurocents a minute to call phones in the States. This is invaluable for
          calling my bank, my credit card company, my insurance company, etc.
          because even though they have 800 numbers I would still have to pay the
          overseas phone charge which from Bratislava is not cheap.

          Skype, like any communications software, can open your computer up to
          attack when it is connected to the internet. Skype, the company,
          vehemently denies any association with spyware, adware, and/or malware.
          See this link: http://www.skype.com/download/adwarefree/
          Someone bundling (and probably illegally) Skype's software with
          something else might not have such high business ethics.

          I agree with Dr. "Q" regarding firewalls. In fact, I think it is just
          part of safe computing. The old saying used to be "There are those who
          have lost data and those who will" but now there is a new corollary,
          "There are those who have had a virus attack or spyware installation and
          those who will." If you have a firewall isntalled, a good anti-virus
          program that you update once a week and a good anti-spyware program that
          you run once a week, then you have very little chance of suffering from
          anything untoward. If you run your virus scanner and anti-spyware
          program routinely, you'll find and eliminate the few that might get
          through. Regularly updating your operating system if you are using
          Windows and don't have automatic updates configured also helps to reduce
          your vulnerability. I look at each of these software packages like a
          slice of swiss cheese, each one has holes in it but as long as they
          don't all line up the attacker can't get through... Periodic updates
          help to close these holes.

          Windows users are clearly the biggest target because they constitute by
          far the largest number of targets. MAC and Linux users are far less
          vulnerable because the operating systems themselves are more secure than
          Windows and they constitute a much smaller target group. Since I
          started running Linux as my preferred operating system about eight years
          ago, my anti-virus scanner has never found a suspicious file on my
          system that has made it through my firewall. Ditto for adware/spyware.

          Sorry this has been a bit long but I don't think people should shy away
          from something useful, they should just be careful.

          Other than Skype and Windows, I haven't mentioned any particular
          firewall, anti-virus or anti-spyware programs but am happy to tell you
          which ones I use and there some very good ones out there that are free
          for personal use. Contact me directly if you are interested.

          Paul in Bratislava
          Homebase in Carlisle, PA
        • David
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
            Hi: Some records are kept, which ones where distroyed is another
            matter. Sad as it is, most records in time are lost or
            distroyed.There were a lot of different mine companies not connected
            with each another.
            Dave

          • e.gernat@att.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
              Hi David,
              From: David <humblebe@...>

              > Ditto for me. I am the president of a tour mine with the potential of
              > 350 millian tons of coal in the Panther Valley, that maybe the
              > government might want to take it over to produce coal to fight the
              > enemy. I guess "Big Brother," don't care about us little peons in
              > Slovak World. Then again...Who knows who the "Secret Agent," that is
              > amongst us, that is watching every move we make?
              > Just having a little fun,
              > Miner Dave
              >
              > At 09:58 PM 4/1/2007, you wrote:
              >
              > >With Big Brother in Washington D.C.and the un-Patriot Act allowing
              > >domestic spying, I am to worry about Skype? Besides, the encription
              > >in Skype is supposed to give Big Brother heartburn.
              > >
              > >Thanks for the word on the spy ware, I will check it out. In the
              > >world today I don't plan on keeping many secrets.
              > >
              > >Ron
              > >
              > >--- In
              > ><mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,
              > >"Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I don't want to dump water on the interest in Skype;
              > > > however, you should read the EULA (end users license
              > > > agreement). The thing is shot full of spyware. This
              > > > is typical of this type of technology - a twist on PTP
              > > > = peer to peer connection.
              > > >
              > > > I was going to use it years ago. I downloaded the
              > > > file but did not install it.
              > > >
              > > > Do this Google search:
              > > >
              > > > Skype Spyware
              > > >
              > > > Evaluate what you find. There are a number of over
              > > > reactive individuals who exaggerate their experience
              > > > and the risk. I suggest you consider what you are
              > > > opening up to and install a very good firewall like
              > > > ZobeAlarm Pro - pay the $40. It is worth it. I have
              > > > used ZoenAlarm for over 10 years.
              > > >
              > > > <http://www.zonealarm.com/>http://www.zonealarm.com/
              > > >
              > > > Dr. "Q"

              > > <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "durisek"

              > > > TV dinner still cooling?
              > > > Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.
              > > > <http://tv.yahoo.com/>http://tv.yahoo.com/

            • danielkishaprofile
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2007
                Have been using Skype for about a year now and think it is really great
                for talking and viewing to Slovakia, plus transfering pictures, files,
                etc. So far it has not cost me a cent except for the microphone and
                headset, which I had already, plus the small camera. My experience is
                that Europeans use it a lot more than Americans do, but I could be
                wrong. Probably because most people in the US have unlimited calling,
                like I do, where in Slovakia they pay for every call and the minutes of
                the call.
              • Lil Junas
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 11, 2007
                  Zuzka:
                  I trashed all the S-W messages about Skype cuz I wasn't interested at
                  the time. Then today I heard from my friend in Slovakia. She said she
                  got Skype and talks to her son in the Czech Republic. She aked why I
                  don't get it so we can talk. But I'm not into gadgetry. I have a new
                  flat screen iMAC which has a tiny "camera" on top of the monitor. A
                  person with a similar setup could see and talk to each other through
                  this. I wonder if this can be ted into Skype? Just wondering how the
                  mike and camera fit onto the screen? Why can't the volume on your
                  computer act as the sound?
                  Lil

                  On 4/1/07, durisek <durisek@...> wrote:
                  > Hi all...
                  > I've just signed on to skype.com, which is a free service for e-mail where you can see and talk to anyone with a e-mail address and a skype ID. It is great for getting together with relatives and friends from Europe.... many Slovaks use it. You do need a clip-on camera/mike or something similar that fits on top of your screen... I got mine at Best Buys for $40, and it just plugs in. It was so exciting to see people from abroad talking to me.
                  > If you have a skype ID, share it with me and I'll talk with you, too! I am cootiebuggie.
                  > Smiles... Zuzka D.

                  "To be nobdy but myself."
                • Lil Junas
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 11, 2007
                    Zuzka:

                    --
                    "To be nobdy but myself."
                  • durisek
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2007
                      Hi Lil...
                      I am a techno-dolt, so not the best person to give advice, but I think you are right.... the camera already in the computer should work, and I assume it also has a microphone receiver (because you not only need something that will speak to you, but something that picks up your voice, too). I had to get a clip-on because my screen doesn't have a camera built-in. Then, you need to subscribe to skype, and follow the instructions there to get going. You'll need your friend's skype ID to send her a message that you are using Skype.
                      Maybe some of the other SW folks who know what they're doing will offer some advice, too.
                      Good luck! Zuzka

                    • Dr. Joe Q
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 12, 2007
                        http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/

                        http://share.skype.com/sites/mac/

                        Hope it works for you. If you leave your computer on
                        all the time you should disconnect from the internet
                        or Skype will turn your system into a node. A
                        firewall can prevent that, but you do have to be a bit
                        techy to make that work selectively.

                        Dr. "Q"

                        Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.