Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Skype

  • Lil Junas
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
      Just have to put a plug in for iMAC computers. My new flat screen iMAC
      has a camera eye at the top center above the screen! Convenient for
      those who are into what you're describing. Lil

      On 4/1/07, amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
      > Zuska and all,
      >
      > Users who have slower connections or friends overseas with slower
      > connections can still use Skype (rhymes with tripe) to chat with these
      > friends. It is rather handy that way as well.
      >
      > I have a dial up connection & only use the camera at the local coffee
      > house when I go down and use their wireless. It is a great way to
      > keep in touch!
      >
      > Ron
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "durisek" <durisek@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all...
      > > I've just signed on to skype.com, which is a free service for e-mail
      > where you can see and talk to anyone with a e-mail address and a skype
      > ID. It is great for getting together with relatives and friends from
      > Europe.... many Slovaks use it. You do need a clip-on camera/mike or
      > something similar that fits on top of your screen... I got mine at
      > Best Buys for $40, and it just plugs in. It was so exciting to see
      > people from abroad talking to me.
      > > If you have a skype ID, share it with me and I'll talk with you,
      > too! I am cootiebuggie.
      > > Smiles... Zuzka D.

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
        I don't want to dump water on the interest in Skype;
        however, you should read the EULA (end users license
        agreement). The thing is shot full of spyware. This
        is typical of this type of technology - a twist on PTP
        = peer to peer connection.

        I was going to use it years ago. I downloaded the
        file but did not install it.

        Do this Google search:

        Skype Spyware

        Evaluate what you find. There are a number of over
        reactive individuals who exaggerate their experience
        and the risk. I suggest you consider what you are
        opening up to and install a very good firewall like
        ZobeAlarm Pro - pay the $40. It is worth it. I have
        used ZoenAlarm for over 10 years.

        http://www.zonealarm.com/

        Dr. "Q"

        --- Lil Junas <povetzlil@...> wrote:

        > Just have to put a plug in for iMAC computers. My
        > new flat screen iMAC
        > has a camera eye at the top center above the screen!
        > Convenient for
        > those who are into what you're describing. Lil
        >

        > On 4/1/07, amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
        > > Zuska and all,
        > >
        > > Users who have slower connections or friends
        > overseas with slower
        > > connections can still use Skype (rhymes with
        > tripe) to chat with these
        > > friends. It is rather handy that way as well.
        > >
        > > I have a dial up connection & only use the camera
        > at the local coffee
        > > house when I go down and use their wireless. It
        > is a great way to
        > > keep in touch!
        > >
        > > Ron
        > >
        > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "durisek"
        > <durisek@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi all...
        > > > I've just signed on to skype.com, which is a
        > free service for e-mail
        > > where you can see and talk to anyone with a e-mail
        > address and a skype
        > > ID. It is great for getting together with
        > relatives and friends from
        > > Europe.... many Slovaks use it. You do need a
        > clip-on camera/mike or
        > > something similar that fits on top of your
        > screen... I got mine at
        > > Best Buys for $40, and it just plugs in. It was
        > so exciting to see
        > > people from abroad talking to me.
        > > > If you have a skype ID, share it with me and
        > I'll talk with you,
        > > too! I am cootiebuggie.
        > > > Smiles... Zuzka D.

        TV dinner still cooling?
        http://tv.yahoo.com/
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
          With Big Brother in Washington D.C.and the un-Patriot Act allowing
          domestic spying, I am to worry about Skype? Besides, the encription
          in Skype is supposed to give Big Brother heartburn.

          Thanks for the word on the spy ware, I will check it out. In the
          world today I don't plan on keeping many secrets.

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:

          > I don't want to dump water on the interest in Skype;
          > however, you should read the EULA (end users license
          > agreement). The thing is shot full of spyware. This
          > is typical of this type of technology - a twist on PTP
          > = peer to peer connection.
          >
          > I was going to use it years ago. I downloaded the
          > file but did not install it.
          >
          > Do this Google search:
          >
          > Skype Spyware
          >
          > Evaluate what you find. There are a number of over
          > reactive individuals who exaggerate their experience
          > and the risk. I suggest you consider what you are
          > opening up to and install a very good firewall like
          > ZobeAlarm Pro - pay the $40. It is worth it. I have
          > used ZoenAlarm for over 10 years.
          >
          > http://www.zonealarm.com/
          >
          > Dr. "Q"
          >
          > --- Lil Junas <povetzlil@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Just have to put a plug in for iMAC computers. My
          > > new flat screen iMAC
          > > has a camera eye at the top center above the screen!
          > > Convenient for
          > > those who are into what you're describing. Lil
          > >

          > > On 4/1/07, amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
          > > > Zuska and all,
          > > >
          > > > Users who have slower connections or friends
          > > overseas with slower
          > > > connections can still use Skype (rhymes with
          > > tripe) to chat with these
          > > > friends. It is rather handy that way as well.
          > > >
          > > > I have a dial up connection & only use the camera
          > > at the local coffee
          > > > house when I go down and use their wireless. It
          > > is a great way to
          > > > keep in touch!
          > > >
          > > > Ron
          > > >
          > > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "durisek"

          > > free service for e-mail
          > > > where you can see and talk to anyone with a e-mail
          > > address and a skype
          > > > ID. It is great for getting together with
          > > relatives and friends from
          > > > Europe.... many Slovaks use it. You do need a
          > > clip-on camera/mike or
          > > > something similar that fits on top of your
          > > screen... I got mine at
          > > > Best Buys for $40, and it just plugs in. It was
          > > so exciting to see
          > > > people from abroad talking to me.
          > > I'll talk with you,
          > > > too! I am cootiebuggie.

          > TV dinner still cooling?
          > http://tv.yahoo.com/

        • Jim M.
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
            Not to stir up an off topic discussion - but a lot of people seem to have
            the wrong impression about the Patriot Act. 99.9% of us WILL NOT be
            monitored - even though I would consent if it made the country safer.

            Of course, if you are a terrorist, a sympathizer, or provide support to
            terrorists then you might be monitored - MIGHT.

            Just had to say this so back to slovak world matters.

            _____

            --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>

          • konekta@nm.psg.sk
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
              I have another PC at home, which my son is using. He has skype and since
              then the PC is always full of viruses and spyware. NOD catches many, but
              there still are weird things like PC is sonstantly sending and receiving
              something without my control. Even with Skype switched off. I don't like
              that at all. People are being lured into something they don't know what it
              really is.
              We are all being spied on by big data collectors.Lots of strings attached.
              Vladimir

              _____

              <mailto:rmat%40pobox.mtaonline.net> e.net> wrote:
              > > Zuska and all,
              > >
              > > Users who have slower connections or friends
              > overseas with slower
              > > connections can still use Skype (rhymes with
              > tripe) to chat with these
              > > friends. It is rather handy that way as well.
              > >
              > > I have a dial up connection & only use the camera
              > at the local coffee
              > > house when I go down and use their wireless. It
              > is a great way to
              > > keep in touch!
              > >
              > > Ron
              > >
              > > --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com, "durisek"
              > <durisek@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi all...
              > > > I've just signed on to skype.com, which is a
              > free service for e-mail
              > > where you can see and talk to anyone with a e-mail
              > address and a skype
              > > ID. It is great for getting together with
              > relatives and friends from
              > > Europe.... many Slovaks use it. You do need a
              > clip-on camera/mike or
              > > something similar that fits on top of your
              > screen... I got mine at
              > > Best Buys for $40, and it just plugs in. It was
              > so exciting to see
              > > people from abroad talking to me.
              > > > If you have a skype ID, share it with me and
              > I'll talk with you,
              > > too! I am cootiebuggie.
              > > > Smiles... Zuzka D.

              TV dinner still cooling?
              http://tv.yahoo <http://tv.yahoo.com/> com/

            • David
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                Ditto for me. I am the president of a tour mine with the potential of
                350 millian tons of coal in the Panther Valley, that maybe the
                government might want to take it over to produce coal to fight the
                enemy. I guess "Big Brother," don't care about us little peons in
                Slovak World. Then again...Who knows who the "Secret Agent," that is
                amongst us, that is watching every move we make?
                Just having a little fun,
                Miner Dave

              • Paul Guzowski
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Just my two crowns' worth in this discussion...

                  I have been using Skype for over five years now and it has been my
                  lifeline home since I have been living and working in Central/Eastern
                  Europe during that time and separated from my family. I also use Skype
                  Out to make phone calls to landlines and mobile phones when my contact
                  does not have a Skype account or is away from the computer. I pay two
                  eurocents a minute to call phones in the States. This is invaluable for
                  calling my bank, my credit card company, my insurance company, etc.
                  because even though they have 800 numbers I would still have to pay the
                  overseas phone charge which from Bratislava is not cheap.

                  Skype, like any communications software, can open your computer up to
                  attack when it is connected to the internet. Skype, the company,
                  vehemently denies any association with spyware, adware, and/or malware.
                  See this link: http://www.skype.com/download/adwarefree/
                  Someone bundling (and probably illegally) Skype's software with
                  something else might not have such high business ethics.

                  I agree with Dr. "Q" regarding firewalls. In fact, I think it is just
                  part of safe computing. The old saying used to be "There are those who
                  have lost data and those who will" but now there is a new corollary,
                  "There are those who have had a virus attack or spyware installation and
                  those who will." If you have a firewall isntalled, a good anti-virus
                  program that you update once a week and a good anti-spyware program that
                  you run once a week, then you have very little chance of suffering from
                  anything untoward. If you run your virus scanner and anti-spyware
                  program routinely, you'll find and eliminate the few that might get
                  through. Regularly updating your operating system if you are using
                  Windows and don't have automatic updates configured also helps to reduce
                  your vulnerability. I look at each of these software packages like a
                  slice of swiss cheese, each one has holes in it but as long as they
                  don't all line up the attacker can't get through... Periodic updates
                  help to close these holes.

                  Windows users are clearly the biggest target because they constitute by
                  far the largest number of targets. MAC and Linux users are far less
                  vulnerable because the operating systems themselves are more secure than
                  Windows and they constitute a much smaller target group. Since I
                  started running Linux as my preferred operating system about eight years
                  ago, my anti-virus scanner has never found a suspicious file on my
                  system that has made it through my firewall. Ditto for adware/spyware.

                  Sorry this has been a bit long but I don't think people should shy away
                  from something useful, they should just be careful.

                  Other than Skype and Windows, I haven't mentioned any particular
                  firewall, anti-virus or anti-spyware programs but am happy to tell you
                  which ones I use and there some very good ones out there that are free
                  for personal use. Contact me directly if you are interested.

                  Paul in Bratislava
                  Homebase in Carlisle, PA
                • David
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Hi: Some records are kept, which ones where distroyed is another
                    matter. Sad as it is, most records in time are lost or
                    distroyed.There were a lot of different mine companies not connected
                    with each another.
                    Dave

                  • e.gernat@att.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                      From: David <humblebe@...>

                      > Ditto for me. I am the president of a tour mine with the potential of
                      > 350 millian tons of coal in the Panther Valley, that maybe the
                      > government might want to take it over to produce coal to fight the
                      > enemy. I guess "Big Brother," don't care about us little peons in
                      > Slovak World. Then again...Who knows who the "Secret Agent," that is
                      > amongst us, that is watching every move we make?
                      > Just having a little fun,
                      > Miner Dave
                      >
                      > At 09:58 PM 4/1/2007, you wrote:
                      >
                      > >With Big Brother in Washington D.C.and the un-Patriot Act allowing
                      > >domestic spying, I am to worry about Skype? Besides, the encription
                      > >in Skype is supposed to give Big Brother heartburn.
                      > >
                      > >Thanks for the word on the spy ware, I will check it out. In the
                      > >world today I don't plan on keeping many secrets.
                      > >
                      > >Ron
                      > >
                      > >--- In
                      > ><mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,
                      > >"Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I don't want to dump water on the interest in Skype;
                      > > > however, you should read the EULA (end users license
                      > > > agreement). The thing is shot full of spyware. This
                      > > > is typical of this type of technology - a twist on PTP
                      > > > = peer to peer connection.
                      > > >
                      > > > I was going to use it years ago. I downloaded the
                      > > > file but did not install it.
                      > > >
                      > > > Do this Google search:
                      > > >
                      > > > Skype Spyware
                      > > >
                      > > > Evaluate what you find. There are a number of over
                      > > > reactive individuals who exaggerate their experience
                      > > > and the risk. I suggest you consider what you are
                      > > > opening up to and install a very good firewall like
                      > > > ZobeAlarm Pro - pay the $40. It is worth it. I have
                      > > > used ZoenAlarm for over 10 years.
                      > > >
                      > > > <http://www.zonealarm.com/>http://www.zonealarm.com/
                      > > >
                      > > > Dr. "Q"

                      > > <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "durisek"

                      > > > TV dinner still cooling?
                      > > > Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.
                      > > > <http://tv.yahoo.com/>http://tv.yahoo.com/

                    • danielkishaprofile
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 7, 2007
                        Have been using Skype for about a year now and think it is really great
                        for talking and viewing to Slovakia, plus transfering pictures, files,
                        etc. So far it has not cost me a cent except for the microphone and
                        headset, which I had already, plus the small camera. My experience is
                        that Europeans use it a lot more than Americans do, but I could be
                        wrong. Probably because most people in the US have unlimited calling,
                        like I do, where in Slovakia they pay for every call and the minutes of
                        the call.
                      • Lil Junas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 11, 2007
                          Zuzka:
                          I trashed all the S-W messages about Skype cuz I wasn't interested at
                          the time. Then today I heard from my friend in Slovakia. She said she
                          got Skype and talks to her son in the Czech Republic. She aked why I
                          don't get it so we can talk. But I'm not into gadgetry. I have a new
                          flat screen iMAC which has a tiny "camera" on top of the monitor. A
                          person with a similar setup could see and talk to each other through
                          this. I wonder if this can be ted into Skype? Just wondering how the
                          mike and camera fit onto the screen? Why can't the volume on your
                          computer act as the sound?
                          Lil

                          On 4/1/07, durisek <durisek@...> wrote:
                          > Hi all...
                          > I've just signed on to skype.com, which is a free service for e-mail where you can see and talk to anyone with a e-mail address and a skype ID. It is great for getting together with relatives and friends from Europe.... many Slovaks use it. You do need a clip-on camera/mike or something similar that fits on top of your screen... I got mine at Best Buys for $40, and it just plugs in. It was so exciting to see people from abroad talking to me.
                          > If you have a skype ID, share it with me and I'll talk with you, too! I am cootiebuggie.
                          > Smiles... Zuzka D.

                          "To be nobdy but myself."
                        • Lil Junas
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 11, 2007

                            --
                            "To be nobdy but myself."
                          • durisek
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 12, 2007
                              Hi Lil...
                              I am a techno-dolt, so not the best person to give advice, but I think you are right.... the camera already in the computer should work, and I assume it also has a microphone receiver (because you not only need something that will speak to you, but something that picks up your voice, too). I had to get a clip-on because my screen doesn't have a camera built-in. Then, you need to subscribe to skype, and follow the instructions there to get going. You'll need your friend's skype ID to send her a message that you are using Skype.
                              Maybe some of the other SW folks who know what they're doing will offer some advice, too.
                              Good luck! Zuzka

                            • Dr. Joe Q
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 12, 2007
                                http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/

                                http://share.skype.com/sites/mac/

                                Hope it works for you. If you leave your computer on
                                all the time you should disconnect from the internet
                                or Skype will turn your system into a node. A
                                firewall can prevent that, but you do have to be a bit
                                techy to make that work selectively.

                                Dr. "Q"

                                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.