RE: [Slovak-World] question

  • Jim M.
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
      Reason I ask is that the web site below shows the following info:
      PEOPLE: The principal ethnic majority are the Slovaks who account for around
      85% of the population. Other ethnic minorities include Moravians who account
      for 10% of the population, Gypsies for 1.5%, Czechs and Ukrainians for 1%
      each while the remainder are Magyars, Germans and Poles.

      I remember in past posts people were talking about Magyars and gypsies as if
      they were of the same breed.

      Jim M.

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
        To answer the original question, they are different.

        Magyar = Hungarians, Roma = Gypsies

        Both are words in their own languages, how they refer to themselves, not
        the "English translation".

        From: Paul J. Wolsko <pwolsko@optonline.
        <mailto:pwolsko%40optonline.net> net>
        Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:58:11
        To:Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

        Doesn't Magyar mean Hungary in Hungarian?
        Sent via BlackBerry

        <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com>

        http://www.atlapedi <http://www.atlapedi:> : <http://www.atlapedi
        <http://www.atlapedi:> :> : <http://www.atlapedi <http://www.atlapedi:>
        : <http://www.atlapedi
        <http://www.atlapedia.com/online/country_index.htm>
        a.com/online/country_index.htm> a.com/online/country_index.htm>

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          thanks for the reponses to my question about gypsies and magyar.

          In my senior moment, I confused Roma with Magyars. My apologies if I
          offended anyone.

          Jim M.