Re: [Slovak-World] question

  • Paul J. Wolsko
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
      And, if that is correct than you'd be saying that all Hungarians are gypsies.
      Sent via BlackBerry

      From: "Jim M." <bdgranpa3@verizon.: <mailto:bdgranpa3%40verizon.net> net>
      Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:54:51
      To:a-slovak world <Slovak-World@: <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] question

      Can anyone tell me about gypsies and maygars? Are they the same or
      different?

      A good web site to learn about countries is
      http://www.atlapedi: <http://www.atlapedi:> : <http://www.atlapedi: <http://www.atlapedia.com/online/country_index.htm> a.com/online/country_index.htm> a.com/online/country_index.htm

      Jim M.

    • Jim M.
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
        Reason I ask is that the web site below shows the following info:
        PEOPLE: The principal ethnic majority are the Slovaks who account for around
        85% of the population. Other ethnic minorities include Moravians who account
        for 10% of the population, Gypsies for 1.5%, Czechs and Ukrainians for 1%
        each while the remainder are Magyars, Germans and Poles.

        I remember in past posts people were talking about Magyars and gypsies as if
        they were of the same breed.

        Jim M.

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          To answer the original question, they are different.

          Magyar = Hungarians, Roma = Gypsies

          Both are words in their own languages, how they refer to themselves, not
          the "English translation".

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
            thanks for the reponses to my question about gypsies and magyar.

            In my senior moment, I confused Roma with Magyars. My apologies if I
            offended anyone.

            Jim M.