Re: [Slovak-World] question

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8 9:06 AM
      "Magyar" is Hungarian (adj.) or a Hungarian person (n.). "Magyarorszag" is the official name of Hungary.

      >>> "Paul J. Wolsko" <pwolsko@...> 03/08/07 11:58 AM >>>
      Doesn't Magyar mean Hungary in Hungarian?
      Sent via BlackBerry

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8 9:08 AM
        And, if that is correct than you'd be saying that all Hungarians are gypsies.
        Sent via BlackBerry

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8 9:41 AM
          Reason I ask is that the web site below shows the following info:
          PEOPLE: The principal ethnic majority are the Slovaks who account for around
          85% of the population. Other ethnic minorities include Moravians who account
          for 10% of the population, Gypsies for 1.5%, Czechs and Ukrainians for 1%
          each while the remainder are Magyars, Germans and Poles.

          I remember in past posts people were talking about Magyars and gypsies as if
          they were of the same breed.

          Jim M.

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8 9:58 AM
            To answer the original question, they are different.

            Magyar = Hungarians, Roma = Gypsies

            Both are words in their own languages, how they refer to themselves, not
            the "English translation".

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8 11:29 AM
              thanks for the reponses to my question about gypsies and magyar.

              In my senior moment, I confused Roma with Magyars. My apologies if I
              offended anyone.

              Jim M.