Re: [Slovak-World] question

  • Paul J. Wolsko
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
      Doesn't Magyar mean Hungary in Hungarian?
      Sent via BlackBerry

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
        "Magyar" is Hungarian (adj.) or a Hungarian person (n.). "Magyarorszag" is the official name of Hungary.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          And, if that is correct than you'd be saying that all Hungarians are gypsies.
          Sent via BlackBerry

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
            Reason I ask is that the web site below shows the following info:
            PEOPLE: The principal ethnic majority are the Slovaks who account for around
            85% of the population. Other ethnic minorities include Moravians who account
            for 10% of the population, Gypsies for 1.5%, Czechs and Ukrainians for 1%
            each while the remainder are Magyars, Germans and Poles.

            I remember in past posts people were talking about Magyars and gypsies as if
            they were of the same breed.

            Jim M.

            _____

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
              To answer the original question, they are different.

              Magyar = Hungarians, Roma = Gypsies

              Both are words in their own languages, how they refer to themselves, not
              the "English translation".

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
                thanks for the reponses to my question about gypsies and magyar.

                In my senior moment, I confused Roma with Magyars. My apologies if I
                offended anyone.

                Jim M.