question

  • Jim M.
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
      Can anyone tell me about gypsies and maygars? Are they the same or
      different?

      A good web site to learn about countries is
      http://www.atlapedia.com/online/country_index.htm

      Jim M.

    • Paul J. Wolsko
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
        Doesn't Magyar mean Hungary in Hungarian?
        Sent via BlackBerry

        Can anyone tell me about gypsies and maygars? Are they the same or
        different?

        A good web site to learn about countries is
        http://www.atlapedi: <http://www.atlapedia.com/online/country_index.htm> a.com/online/country_index.htm

        Jim M.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          "Magyar" is Hungarian (adj.) or a Hungarian person (n.). "Magyarorszag" is the official name of Hungary.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
            And, if that is correct than you'd be saying that all Hungarians are gypsies.
            Sent via BlackBerry

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
              Reason I ask is that the web site below shows the following info:
              PEOPLE: The principal ethnic majority are the Slovaks who account for around
              85% of the population. Other ethnic minorities include Moravians who account
              for 10% of the population, Gypsies for 1.5%, Czechs and Ukrainians for 1%
              each while the remainder are Magyars, Germans and Poles.

              I remember in past posts people were talking about Magyars and gypsies as if
              they were of the same breed.

              Jim M.

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
                To answer the original question, they are different.

                Magyar = Hungarians, Roma = Gypsies

                Both are words in their own languages, how they refer to themselves, not
                the "English translation".

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
                  thanks for the reponses to my question about gypsies and magyar.

                  In my senior moment, I confused Roma with Magyars. My apologies if I
                  offended anyone.

                  Jim M.