What money can do

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
      Yesterday I was in Levoca. A young mother ( has a small pension) told me,
      they don't have english lessons any more in the school of her son (8 years).
      The teacher left to take care of elderly in Austria.
      A comparison Slovakia / Austria and Mexico/US came to my mind. An incredible
      number of women from Slovakia is going to Austria, Germany and Switzerland
      to take care of the elderly. All, not only young. Even grandmothers go and
      do that.
      Vladimir

    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2007
        Dear Members,
        Once upon a time I was having a dinner up above in the Space Needle in
        Seattle.
        As a desert, they brought a big cup with fruits. In it there was a bamboo
        stick, about 20 inches long, with one end bent, so one could fish out the
        fruit pieces. I took it with me, because I found it was very practical for
        scratching my back without having to ask somebody else to do that.
        Due to many movings, this valuable artefact went lost and I was very unhappy
        about that.
        Yesterday we made a family visit to a slovak Skanzen, near Zuberec in Orava.
        It is called "The museum of the Orava village".
        Very interesting houses and other things people had and used.
        In some houses they sell souvenirs.Homemade or at least slovak ones. I
        thought.
        My God, no!
        They sell chinese bamboo back scratchers! I bought one. The chinese or
        whatever sticker has been peeled off and an official sticker and the
        burnt-in name of the " Museum of the Orava village" was added to this
        chinese stuff!
        There were many other woodden artefacts, all made in China.
        I have no words for this to describe my feelings.
        Brutal market economy. Who cares abut culture and authenticy. The visitors
        are stupid anyway and they buy everything.
        Who cares.
        Only business is important and it will ruin everything.Including people.
        Forget romantic Slovakia.
        Vladimir

      • Paul Guzowski
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2007
          Greetings Vladimir et al,
          I can identify with your experience regarding Asian made goods
          infiltrating the local markets. My wife visited me in Bratislava so we
          could spend Christmas 2006 in Europe. Christmas is her favorite season
          of the year and so we spent a lot of time in the Bratislava Christmas
          market and a whole day in the Vienna Christkindlmarkt. I didn't notice
          too many Asian products in the Bratislava market but I was really
          surprised at how many of the traditional Austrian/German products in the
          Vienna market were really from the Far East. We really had to pay
          attention to make sure we got something that was original and not a
          copy!

          Paul in Bratislava
          Homebase in Carlisle, PA
        • Haidee Kupecz
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2007
            Paul,
            I'm just curious; how long have you been in Europe? When will you be coming home?

            See you later,
            Haidee
            haideec@...

            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2007
              Dear Paul,
              Yes, I am aware of that. At home I have a thick chinese catalog of various
              goods, which I got at one embasst in Austria, 25 years ago. Then I already
              knew, they will flood the markets.
              This, however, was not at any market, but in the middle of the slovak
              kultural sanctuary, in an old peasant house.
              Bizarre.
              And, it is also true, that we, a bit older ones, do not like fast changes of
              time.
              Best,
              Vladimir

              _____

              Message 6 of 6 , May 9, 2007
                Vlad,
                Alaska does many good things and does them well by a good dose of
                common sense. We have a program for "Alaska Made" and "Alaska Native
                Made" products, where the State issues permits to use stickers
                proclaiming exactly that.
                The official emblem for the "Made in Alaska" program depicts a mother
                bear and her cub in a rectangular format with the words "Made in
                Alaska" underneath.
                The "authentic Native handicraft" symbol is even more exclusive and
                depicts a hand on a similar background.

                As always, there are a few cheaters or cheating merchants, but that is
                under every system. This one works pretty darned well. There are, of
                course, all the cheap Chinese souveniers, and the "Alaska" moose you
                can find in Canada and Colorado as well, but they do not carry the
                stickers.

                This tells a bit of how it is done
                http://www.dced.state.ak.us/oed/mia/presentations.htm

                Ron