Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Commercial

  • David
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
      Maxine: Yes, it means, "how are you," but the new Slovak says, "Ako
      sa mate?" All the old Slavics in
      our area say it the old way. The answer is...very well, thank you
      would be Velmi dobre, dakujem.
      Dave Kuchta

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
        "Jak s~e mas~" is how the eastern dialects say it, even to this day. Since such a huge percentage of immigrants to the US came from the eastern parts of today's country, this is how we most commonly hear it in the US.

        At 01:09 PM 3/7/2007, you wrote:

        >Yuk See Mush (phonetic) should mean or close to: "how are you" the
        >answer should be:
        >
        >Dub La (phonetic-roll the L) "fine, fine"
        >
        >However, I could be wrong about this, but it should be very close-
        >my grandparents said this all the time and I still say it.
        >
        >maxine sasala

      • Dr. Joe Q
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
          I reply:

          Dobre a Vam?

          Dr. "Q"

          --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

          > "Jak s~e mas~" is how the eastern dialects say it,
          > even to this day. Since such a huge percentage of
          > immigrants to the US came from the eastern parts of
          > today's country, this is how we most commonly hear
          > it in the US.

          > AM >>>
          > Maxine: Yes, it means, "how are you," but the new
          > Slovak says, "Ako
          > sa mate?" All the old Slavics in
          > our area say it the old way. The answer is...very
          > well, thank you
          > would be Velmi dobre, dakujem.
          > Dave Kuchta
          >
          > At 01:09 PM 3/7/2007, you wrote:
          >
          > >Yuk See Mush (phonetic) should mean or close to:
          > "how are you" the
          > >answer should be:
          > >
          > >Dub La (phonetic-roll the L) "fine, fine"
          > >
          > >However, I could be wrong about this, but it should
          > be very close-
          > >my grandparents said this all the time and I still
          > say it.
          > >
          > >maxine sasala

          Bored stiff? Loosen up...
          http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
        • Andy Verostko
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
            And in PA where I grew up, the response to "Jak se mas" I most often
            heard was: Dobre, ta jak

            followed by a "Dobre" from the original greeter.

            and there is a small Slovak community near Bowling Green, VA that I got
            to know and for
            some reason the response by the men of that group was always
            "Pomaly"... For
            whatever reason, it was the local response and that was always what I
            got back...

            Andy V....

          • konekta@nm.psg.sk
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
              This is the right one. I just can not recall a Slovak to say :" Thank you,
              good..."
              They all say "Tak, pomaly.."
              This is a kind of downplaying, maybe of fear that the others will envy.
              Vladimir

              _____

              <mailto:hfed%40loc.gov>> wrote:

              > > "Jak s~e mas~" is how the eastern dialects say it,
              > > even to this day. Since such a huge percentage of
              > > immigrants to the US came from the eastern parts of
              > > today's country, this is how we most commonly hear
              > > it in the US.

              > <mailto:humblebe%40intergrafix.net>> 03/07/07 10:51
              > > AM >>>
              > > Maxine: Yes, it means, "how are you," but the new
              > > Slovak says, "Ako
              > > sa mate?" All the old Slavics in
              > > our area say it the old way. The answer is...very
              > > well, thank you
              > > would be Velmi dobre, dakujem.
              > > Dave Kuchta
              > >
              > > At 01:09 PM 3/7/2007, you wrote:
              > >
              > > >Yuk See Mush (phonetic) should mean or close to:
              > > "how are you" the
              > > >answer should be:
              > > >
              > > >Dub La (phonetic-roll the L) "fine, fine"
              > > >
              > > >However, I could be wrong about this, but it should
              > > be very close-
              > > >my grandparents said this all the time and I still
              > > say it.
              > > >
              > > >maxine sasala

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
                I found the older villagers in Slovakia say that a lot -

                sort of we're coming along but slowly - I always liked hearing it

                helene

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
                  "Pomaly" (lit.: slowly) means "so-so".

                  Dr. Joe Q wrote:

                  > I reply:
                  >
                  > Dobre a Vam?
                  >
                  > Dr. "Q"
                  >
                  > --- Helen Fedor <hfed@... <mailto:hfed%40loc.gov>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > "Jak s~e mas~" is how the eastern dialects say it,
                  > > even to this day. Since such a huge percentage of
                  > > immigrants to the US came from the eastern parts of
                  > > today's country, this is how we most commonly hear
                  > > it in the US.

                  > <mailto:humblebe%40intergrafix.net>> 03/07/07 10:51
                  > > AM >>>
                  > > Maxine: Yes, it means, "how are you," but the new
                  > > Slovak says, "Ako
                  > > sa mate?" All the old Slavics in
                  > > our area say it the old way. The answer is...very
                  > > well, thank you
                  > > would be Velmi dobre, dakujem.
                  > > Dave Kuchta
                  > >
                  > > At 01:09 PM 3/7/2007, you wrote:
                  > >
                  > > >Yuk See Mush (phonetic) should mean or close to:
                  > > "how are you" the
                  > > >answer should be:
                  > > >
                  > > >Dub La (phonetic-roll the L) "fine, fine"
                  > > >
                  > > >However, I could be wrong about this, but it should
                  > > be very close-
                  > > >my grandparents said this all the time and I still
                  > > say it.
                  > > >
                  > > >maxine sasala

                • Scott T. Mikusko
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
                    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, konekta@... wrote:

                    > This is the right one. I just can not recall a Slovak to say :" Thank you,
                    > good..."
                    > They all say "Tak, pomaly.."
                    > This is a kind of downplaying, maybe of fear that the others will envy.
                    > Vladimir

                    Hah! That's the answer one of my uncles back in Michigan gives to me when
                    I talk to him, but then he's 84 and had knee surgery. So he's got every
                    right to be pomaly! :)

                    -S