Invitation

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2007
      SLOVAK-AMERICAN SOCIETY OF WASHINGTON

      ANNOUNCEMENT

      The SASW Speakers' Series presents a talk and book discussion by

      Mr. Jim Lukach, Author of _Lost Inside the Happy Noise_

      Saturday, March 17, 2007, 2:00pm

      at the Slovak Embassy, 3523 International Court, NW, Washington DC
      (admission free)**

      SASW is pleased to present a talk that celebrates the historic events of 1989 that brought freedom to Czecho-Slovakia, and which subsequently brought many Americans in contact with Slovakia and other Central European countries. Mr. Lukach will discuss his experiences and his recent book. We also hope that some of those who participated in the unique events of the post-1989 era will come and share their experiences.

      Book Description

      Pushed into action by Jane Pauley's voice and a television image of a pack of cigarettes being handed through a hole in the Berlin Wall, author Jim Lukach set off for Eastern Europe. _Lost Inside the Happy Noise_ is a collection of essays that capture the heady days of post-revolution in a small city in western Slovakia, days measured out in half-liter beer glasses and startling self-discovery. Holding a mirror to the past--wild boar hunting safaris, a Slovak television appearance, autograph sessions after teaching a successful English class--Lukach reflects on how something as simple as dancing the polka can reach far into the future and questions whether life could ever feel so full again.

      In _Lost Inside the Happy Noise_, Lukach evokes with the realism of a dream the atmosphere of a time that passed too quickly by, days outside the norm spent tramping through Slovakia or watching his train leave seven times without boarding. But most of all, it is about the small moments teaching English and discoveries made in the most surprising places.

      **For questions about SASW or this event, call 703-851-6035
      Directions to the Embassy of Slovakia
      3523 International Court NW, Washington DC

      From the Beltway north of DC: Take Wisconsin Ave. south to Van Ness St. NW. Turn left onto Van Ness and proceed east, crossing the intersections of Van Ness with 38th St., 37th St. and Reno Road. Just east of Reno Road, turn left (north) onto International Court. If you reach Connecticut Ave., you have gone too far on Van Ness. The Slovak Embassy is on the east side of the cul-de-sac at the north end of International Court, directly across from the Austrian Embassy. From downtown DC: Take Connecticut Ave. north to Van Ness St, NW. Turn left onto Van Ness, proceed west about 500 yards, and turn right onto International Court (see above, if you reach Reno Road you have gone too far).

      Parking: Garage parking is available at the Van Ness Center on Connecticut Ave. Limited on-street parking is available on Van Ness and on 36th St. Some street parking may be available on International Court.

      Metro: The Van Ness-UDC Metro stop on the Red Line is just north of the intersection of Van Ness and Connecticut.
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2010
        It's so quiet on SW!

        You're all invited to come hear our very own Ben Sorensen talk about
        Slovak pop music in a talk sponsored by the Slovak American Society of
        Washington, DC (SASW). Feel free to pass along this info to anyone who
        might be interested.

        Saturday, May 22, 1957

        "To je ale muzika! What's so Slovak About Slovak Pop Music?"

        A talk by Ben Sorensen

        2nd Floor Meeting Room, Arlington County Central Library, 1015 N.
        Quincy St, Arlington, VA
        (midway between Virginia Square and Ballston Metro stations)

        2:00pm

        Cost: free

        What's so Slovak about Slovak popular music? Ben will explore its
        folk-music roots to identify the elements that have been carried over
        into Slovak pop music, giving it a distinct flavor. He'll show us
        examples of what's out there now and talk about how it's evolved.

        Ben Sorensen graduated with a BA in History and Music, only to move to
        Slovakia to fall in love with ethnomusicology and Slovak folk music. He
        learned to play the fujara and piš alka in the fields of Podpolanie
        while also fronting a bluegrass band (Longhorns) and a progressive rock
        band (SIX) in Poprad.

        All opinions my own
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2010
          _It's so quiet on SW!_

          So I thought I would kinda wake it up-

          SNS, the Slovak Nationalist Party, took a picture of a Roma- sitting with his shirt off and revealing a very well-tatooed torso- and labled it with the slogan "So that we won't feed those who don't want to work."

          Then they put the billboard up all over Slovakia.  http://www.sme.sk/c/5361501/rom-z-bilbordu-netusil-ze-robi-pre-sns.html

          Now, SNS says that if you think the person is a Rom, then YOU are racist.... while so many others are saying that the billboard is racist.  Oh, and the Rom: he was paid, with his brother, a total of 150 Euros. He now wants more... can't blame him.

          However, I cannot find anything in English about these happenings to share with you, and most of it is just pre-election antics.  But it is big news in Slovakia, and I thought it was actually funny-- Just another thing that I have to come to expect from Slota's party. Just to share it with you all....
          :-)
          Ben

        • votrubam
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2010
            > a very well-tatooed torso

            Actually, the tattoo on the torso (as well as the gold necklace) were added digitally for the billboard (surely to "de-stereotype" the Roma even more, as you point out, Ben). The person who was photographed has tattoo only on his arm and no necklace.

            > cannot find anything in English about these happenings

            <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6454AR20100506>
            <http://www.romea.cz/english/index.php?id=detail&detail=2007_1628>
            <http://www.rnw.nl/international-justice/print/92692>
            <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/printstory.php?news=322128>

            Martin
          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 13 , May 7, 2010
              Billboards stir outrage in Slovakia election campaign

              http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=360035&version=1&template_id=39&parent_id=21

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              Actually, the tattoo on the torso (as well as the gold necklace) were added digitally for the billboard (surely to "de-stereotype" the Roma even more, as you point out, Ben). The person who was photographed has tattoo only on his arm and no necklace.

              > cannot find anything in English about these happenings

              <http://www.reuters com/article/ idUSTRE6454AR201 00506>
              <http://www.romea cz/english/ index.php? id=detail& detail=2007_ 1628>
              <http://www.rnw nl/international -justice/ print/92692>
              <http://www.earthtim es.org/articles/ printstory. php?news= 322128>

            • john aa
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2010
                Slovensko ma problemy skoro ako Grecko a vy tu diskutujete o romoch....

                ____________ _________ _________ __
                Actually, the tattoo on the torso (as well as the gold necklace) were added digitally for the billboard (surely to "de-stereotype" the Roma even more, as you point out, Ben). The person who was photographed has tattoo only on his arm and no necklace.

                > cannot find anything in English about these happenings

                <http://www.reuters. com/article/ idUSTRE6454AR201 00506>
                <http://www.romea. cz/english/ index.php? id=detail& detail=2007_ 1628>
                <http://www.rnw. nl/international -justice/ print/92692>
                <http://www.earthtim es.org/articles/ printstory. php?news= 322128>

              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2010
                  At , you wrote:
                  >Slovensko ma problemy skoro ako Grecko a vy tu diskutujete o romoch....

                  Translated this to say Slovakia has same problems as Greece. If that
                  is correct does it make politics become "racist"? seems they are
                  trying to blame a certain group of people for the problems.
                  Remember the last time that happened in a big way.
                  Nick

                  "In the long run, you only hit what you aim at."
                  -- Henry Thoreau

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 11, 2010
                    will there be a recording or pod cast?

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 11, 2010
                      The date provided is Saturday May 22, 1957. Aren't we a little late for
                      that???

                      --- On Thu, 5/6/10, Helen Fedor <_hfed@..._ (mailto:hfed@...) >

                      Saturday, May 22, 1957

                    • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 11, 2010
                        Nah- all you need is a Delorean and a flex-capacitor! 1.21 jigawatts!
                        Ben

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 11, 2010
                          Someone else brought that to my attention too. Sorry, the fingers did
                          what the fingers wanted to do. May 22, 2010 is definitely the date.

                          As for a recording or pod cast...maybe the Google satellite will pick us
                          up. ;-) Otherwise, you'll just have to hotfoot it to Arlington.

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 12, 2010
                            No Delorean, but a '96 Sebring Coupe should get me there. Thanks for the information.

                            Eugene Klodzen