free: SK auto atlas & guidebook

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2007
      Since my trips to Slovakia are tending to be a few years apart, I've
      bought new editions of the Podrobny Auto Atlas (1:100,000) and
      guidebooks for each trip. I've decided to let go of a couple, and
      will gladly send them free to someone who would like it/them. They are:

      Podrobny Auto Atlas, 1:100,000 scale (ie 1 cm = 1 km), spiral bound,
      4th edition (bought it new in 2002, copyright is 2001). A little bit
      of wear and a very few pencil markings. This atlas is invaluable for
      driving around Slovakia and I found it of great interest for my
      genealogy/family history even before I went to Slovakia. The
      differences I've noticed between this edition and the new one that I
      bought summer '06: some difference in pagination and layout of the
      atlas (eg which section is where); biggest difference is in the
      supplemental maps showing city centers: some hotel names have
      changed, pedestrian zones and public parking etc are sometimes
      changed/updated. So relying on these city maps for navigating a city
      center would be a little dicey in some cases. Also, some very new
      highways or projected new highways are not included. Multi-lingual
      (incl English) table of contents and legend. Distance table. So
      easy to use that even I understand it!

      Lonely Planet Czech and Slovak Republics, 3rd edition, copyright
      2001. Very little wear, lots of pencil markings in certain sections
      on Slovakia. A decent guidebook, a little out-of-date as you'd
      expect. Info on places, history, and culture would still be good
      though. One difference I noted between this and the new guidebook I
      bought is the inclusion of websites in the new book; that was really
      helpful in checking out a penzion or hotel from my desk at home and
      making reservations. An inexpensive (free!) aid to daydreaming about
      traveling to Slovakia, and who knows, it might be just the boost you
      need to make the leap and take your first trip!

      If you want either or both of these, email me at jmm@...
      by Wednesday night; if I get multiple requests, I'll draw names from
      a hat. If no one is interested, I'll offer them over on Slovak Roots
      on Thursday. But I wanted to give you folks dibs, since this is the
      group that has helped me at every turn in my own research and travels.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...