Slovak manny

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12 1:08 PM
      Below is a SK-related passage from an amusing column by in today's
      (2/12) The Daily Mail (London).

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      x x x

      The Manny Friday
      _____ by Clover Stroud, The Daily Mail, 2/12/2007

      AS BEST-SELLING BOOK THE MANNY, ABOUT ONE WOMAN'S RELATIONSHIP WITH
      HER MALE NANNY, TAKES AMERICA BY STORM, CLOVER STROUD TELLS WHY SHE
      WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT HERS

      HAVING a man about the house is a great idea in theory, but in my
      experience, the reality falls far short of the fantasy. It's
      depressingly true that familiarity does breed contempt, and there's
      nothing like domestic intimacy to cool the heat of a romance.

      What I want in a man is a dash of the bad boy mixed with a bit of
      campish wit, great conversational skills and best-friend status thrown
      in for good measure. [...]

      So employing a manny was an experiment to start with. Before Giovanni
      there was Miroslav, a text-book perfect au pair from Slovakia who made
      me realize that there are some men who do actually know how to form
      the sentence: "Is there anything I can do to help you?"

      Responsible, industrious, educated, charming and very handsome, all my
      friends with children (and quite a few without) wanted to steal him
      from me.

      His departure last year, after two years of living and working
      together, was almost more painful than my divorce. [...]