Slovakia court compensates Gypsy women

  • cvargacvarga
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
        What the heck is this - - - - more SPAM???

        Dr. "Q"

        --- cvargacvarga <colinvv@...> wrote:

        http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/20070205-042029-4558r/

      • cvargacvarga
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2007
          Sorry, the original UPI link to this article is not working but here
          is the article:

          BRATISLAVA, Slovakia, Feb. 5 (UPI) -- A court in Slovakia ruled three
          Gypsy women had their human rights violated when prosecutors shelved
          complaints about their illegal sterilization.

          The Constitutional court ordered the women of the southeastern town
          of Kosice to be paid $1,865 each in damages, the Slovak Spectator
          weekly reported Monday.

          The Gypsy women, two underage, underwent illegal sterilizations
          without their consent in a hospital between 1999 and 2002. Since
          then, on many occasions, the women appealed to the Kosice
          prosecutors' office claiming their human rights were violated, but
          were simply ignored.

          They went to the Constitutional court that ruled in their favor in
          mid-December. The women are also seeking compensation for involuntary
          sterilization.

          In 2004, the European Roma Rights Center in Budapest published
          allegations the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and
          Bulgaria were "solving problems" of the Gypsy minority through forced
          sterilization.

          Copyright 2007 by United Press International
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2007
            > The Constitutional court ordered the women of the southeastern town
            > of Kosice to be paid $1,865 each in damages

            Thank you for the post, Colin. Just to make sure that it's quite
            clear: the compensation is for the authorities not handling their case
            in a timely manner, not for -- as yet still alleged -- sterilizations.
            The Slovak courts are notorious for delays, missed deadlines, etc.
            Many Slovaks have complained successfully not merely to the country's
            authorities, but also to the European Court. Bratislava has already
            had to pay tons of money in compensations ordered by Brussels. I
            haven't checked recently, but a while back Slovaks' complaints to
            Brussels about the courts not handling their cases properly ranked at
            the top among the European countries.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu