Re: Cheese after wine

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      > HAHAHA!!!! An international dispute over cheese

      Yes, it's become similar to disputes about trademarks. The US--Czech
      battle over Budweiser, originally also just a regional designation,
      has still not been legally resolved.

      The European Union has been granting exclusive rights to the names of
      various traditional European food products. Should Poland get the
      exclusive rights to "ostiepok," Slovakia would have to change its name
      (at least for export). Exclusive "country" rights to, or "formula
      standards" for the names of a number of traditional cheeses, liquors,
      other products that didn't use to be trademarks have already been
      legislated.

      The EU has speeded up this process somewhat recently, and expanded it
      enormously. In the past the dispute over the Greek claim to feta
      cheese, for example, took about 20 years to resolve.

      BTW, a major pan-European battle going on now is about what can/cannot
      be called "vodka."

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
        Jumping back to a 'cheese war' from last February, there was
        discussion about a Slovak-Polish argument for the rights to a special
        cheese from the Tatra Mountain region. I just stumbled across a
        Polish site, in English, presenting their side - and showing a map of
        the area that includes primarily Slovakia. They make some intersting
        statements such as
        "Podhale, nestled high up in the Tatra Mountains on the Polish side of
        the Polish and Slovak border"
        "Podhale has been changing hands of foreign suitors many a time"
        "Although the Tatra region spreads to Slovakia, this type of cheese is
        only made in Poland."
        "The regions of Podhale, Orawa and Spis are all located on the
        southern border of Poland, neighboring Slovakia."

        http://www.american.edu/TED/polish-cheese.htm#IIdentification

        The European commissioners must have had a tough time keeping straight
        faces when they heard the arguments for exclusive rights to this cheese!

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
        wrote:

        > > HAHAHA!!!! An international dispute over cheese
        >
        > Yes, it's become similar to disputes about trademarks. The
        US--Czech > battle over Budweiser, originally also just a regional
        designation, > has still not been legally resolved.

        > The European Union has been granting exclusive rights to the names
        of > various traditional European food products. Should Poland get
        the > exclusive rights to "ostiepok," Slovakia would have to change
        its name > (at least for export). Exclusive "country" rights to, or
        "formula > standards" for the names of a number of traditional
        cheeses, liquors, > other products that didn't use to be trademarks
        have already been > legislated.

        > The EU has speeded up this process somewhat recently, and expanded
        it > enormously. In the past the dispute over the Greek claim to feta
        > cheese, for example, took about 20 years to resolve.
        >
        > BTW, a major pan-European battle going on now is about what
        can/cannot > be called "vodka."

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      • Paul Guzowski
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2007
          Sounds like the age-old argument over the sparkling wine called
          "Champagne"....A similar argument transpired between Hungary and
          Slovakia over Tokay/Tokaj wine. Italy produces wine from Tokay grapes
          and they are grown in California as well but I'm not sure they got into
          the fray. Another such debate, though internal to one country was the
          famous dispute regarding Sacher Torte in Vienna. It was first produced
          when a young apprentice pastry chef named Sacher invented it for a
          special royal occasion while working for the Demel cake and coffee house
          in Vienna. He later left Demel and started his own business, the Hotel
          Sacher, and began producing the cake there. Since Demel was still
          producing the cake a dispute arose over who was producing the "Original
          Sacher Torte" and the case went before a judge. He is said to have been
          really perplexed and finally decreed that Demel could produce the
          "Authentic Sacher Torte" and the Sacher Hotel could produce the
          "Original Sacher Torte".

          Paul in Bratislava
          Homebase in Carlisle, PA
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 2007
            > The European commissioners must have had a tough time
            > keeping straight faces when they heard the arguments for
            > exclusive rights to this cheese!

            I'd think it's more likely that they were yawning, Ron. They've been
            handling similar disputes for years (the feta cheese dispute has
            dragged for two decades) and many more are coming up. And that they
            were happy. They'd be out of their extremely well paid jobs otherwise
            (the EU salaries are incomparably higher than the government salaries
            in D.C.).

            This Slovak--Polish dispute has already been resolved, the way that I
            thought was obvious from the start: surprise, surprise, the Poles have
            the exclusive right to the Polish name _oscypek_ and the Slovaks to
            the Slovak name _os~tiepok_, and what each country sells under the
            name it owns the right to is up to each country's internal standards.

            Why on earth was there even a dispute? There was no single name that
            producers and countries spar about, like rum, feta, vodka, gorgonzola.

            That needed a year of negotiations, taxpayer-funded compensation for
            the diplomats, bureaucrats in Brussels, lawyers, interpreters,
            experts, translators, secretaries, travel, hotels, per diems...

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
              After Slovakia and Poland settled their ostiepok/oscypek controversy,
              a new Central-European storm over rights to food labels is gathering
              around Slovakia, this time concerning salami and sausages. Bratislava
              applied for the registration of six types of salami, a type of
              frankfurters, of klobasa, and of sausage (s~peka'c~ik). Warsaw wants
              to register two similar types of salami. Prague is planning to
              contest Warsaw's two applications, and Bratislava's application for
              the right to all of those meat products.

              The European Union registers traditional food products from many of
              its members, which then translates to a status comparable to a
              nationally-held trademark.