Cheese after wine

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5 12:39 PM
      After Bratislava sorted out its right to the dessert wine label
      Tokaj/Tokay claimed exclusively by Hungary, it has embarked on a
      dispute about cheese with Poland.

      Only hours before the deadline, Slovakia submitted its objection to
      Poland's application six months ago to have the football-shaped smoked
      sheep cheese os~tiepok (oscypek/oszczypek in Polish) registered with
      the European Union as a protected Polish product.

      Ostiepok has traditionally been produced in the Tatra region on both
      sides of the Slovak-Polish border.

      The Slovak ostiepok (next to the radishes - brownish):

      http://tinyurl.com/35thwq

      One of the two traditional shapes of the Polish oscypek:

      http://tinyurl.com/2aqnf4

      Slovak commentators criticize Bratislava for being merely reactive in
      such matters, often at the very last moment.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Paul Wolsko
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5 2:06 PM
        HAHAHA!!!! An international dispute over cheese - I love it! Good thing that God gave man free will - proves beyond a doubt that He has a good sense of humor.

        Paul Wolsko

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5 2:42 PM
          Well, obviously this cheese should not be a protected product only
          from Poland. But, it could be a protected product from both countries.
          I often wondered years ago why Slovakia didn't try selling smoked
          sheep cheese abroad. It's excellent. But perhaps the Slovaks have been
          more laid back when it comes to selling consumer goods.

          One thing for sure, the Slovak ostiepok is much better tasting than
          the Polish counterpart, in my opinion and also the opinion of some of
          my Slovak friends. Last May I took my small group of college students
          to a salas in Poland (just across the border from Cerveny Klastor)
          where we watched how they formed the curd and smoked their cheese.
          Then everyone bought a piece that looked just like those in the photo
          that Martin attached to his message.

          But the taste, as I said, was no match for what we got from the Valca
          and Klastor sheep farms (south of Martin) and from a sheep farm near
          Cerveny Klastor. So, I hope the Slovaks win their dispute.
          Lil

          On 2/5/07, Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote:
          > HAHAHA!!!! An international dispute over cheese - I love it! Good thing
          > that God gave man free will - proves beyond a doubt that He has a good sense
          > of humor.
          >
          > Paul Wolsko

        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5 11:44 PM
            > HAHAHA!!!! An international dispute over cheese

            Yes, it's become similar to disputes about trademarks. The US--Czech
            battle over Budweiser, originally also just a regional designation,
            has still not been legally resolved.

            The European Union has been granting exclusive rights to the names of
            various traditional European food products. Should Poland get the
            exclusive rights to "ostiepok," Slovakia would have to change its name
            (at least for export). Exclusive "country" rights to, or "formula
            standards" for the names of a number of traditional cheeses, liquors,
            other products that didn't use to be trademarks have already been
            legislated.

            The EU has speeded up this process somewhat recently, and expanded it
            enormously. In the past the dispute over the Greek claim to feta
            cheese, for example, took about 20 years to resolve.

            BTW, a major pan-European battle going on now is about what can/cannot
            be called "vodka."

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
              Jumping back to a 'cheese war' from last February, there was
              discussion about a Slovak-Polish argument for the rights to a special
              cheese from the Tatra Mountain region. I just stumbled across a
              Polish site, in English, presenting their side - and showing a map of
              the area that includes primarily Slovakia. They make some intersting
              statements such as
              "Podhale, nestled high up in the Tatra Mountains on the Polish side of
              the Polish and Slovak border"
              "Podhale has been changing hands of foreign suitors many a time"
              "Although the Tatra region spreads to Slovakia, this type of cheese is
              only made in Poland."
              "The regions of Podhale, Orawa and Spis are all located on the
              southern border of Poland, neighboring Slovakia."

              http://www.american.edu/TED/polish-cheese.htm#IIdentification

              The European commissioners must have had a tough time keeping straight
              faces when they heard the arguments for exclusive rights to this cheese!

              Ron

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
              wrote:

              > > HAHAHA!!!! An international dispute over cheese
              >
              > Yes, it's become similar to disputes about trademarks. The
              US--Czech > battle over Budweiser, originally also just a regional
              designation, > has still not been legally resolved.

              > The European Union has been granting exclusive rights to the names
              of > various traditional European food products. Should Poland get
              the > exclusive rights to "ostiepok," Slovakia would have to change
              its name > (at least for export). Exclusive "country" rights to, or
              "formula > standards" for the names of a number of traditional
              cheeses, liquors, > other products that didn't use to be trademarks
              have already been > legislated.

              > The EU has speeded up this process somewhat recently, and expanded
              it > enormously. In the past the dispute over the Greek claim to feta
              > cheese, for example, took about 20 years to resolve.
              >
              > BTW, a major pan-European battle going on now is about what
              can/cannot > be called "vodka."

              > Martin
              >
              > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

            • Paul Guzowski
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2007
                Sounds like the age-old argument over the sparkling wine called
                "Champagne"....A similar argument transpired between Hungary and
                Slovakia over Tokay/Tokaj wine. Italy produces wine from Tokay grapes
                and they are grown in California as well but I'm not sure they got into
                the fray. Another such debate, though internal to one country was the
                famous dispute regarding Sacher Torte in Vienna. It was first produced
                when a young apprentice pastry chef named Sacher invented it for a
                special royal occasion while working for the Demel cake and coffee house
                in Vienna. He later left Demel and started his own business, the Hotel
                Sacher, and began producing the cake there. Since Demel was still
                producing the cake a dispute arose over who was producing the "Original
                Sacher Torte" and the case went before a judge. He is said to have been
                really perplexed and finally decreed that Demel could produce the
                "Authentic Sacher Torte" and the Sacher Hotel could produce the
                "Original Sacher Torte".

                Paul in Bratislava
                Homebase in Carlisle, PA
              • Martin Votruba
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2007
                  > The European commissioners must have had a tough time
                  > keeping straight faces when they heard the arguments for
                  > exclusive rights to this cheese!

                  I'd think it's more likely that they were yawning, Ron. They've been
                  handling similar disputes for years (the feta cheese dispute has
                  dragged for two decades) and many more are coming up. And that they
                  were happy. They'd be out of their extremely well paid jobs otherwise
                  (the EU salaries are incomparably higher than the government salaries
                  in D.C.).

                  This Slovak--Polish dispute has already been resolved, the way that I
                  thought was obvious from the start: surprise, surprise, the Poles have
                  the exclusive right to the Polish name _oscypek_ and the Slovaks to
                  the Slovak name _os~tiepok_, and what each country sells under the
                  name it owns the right to is up to each country's internal standards.

                  Why on earth was there even a dispute? There was no single name that
                  producers and countries spar about, like rum, feta, vodka, gorgonzola.

                  That needed a year of negotiations, taxpayer-funded compensation for
                  the diplomats, bureaucrats in Brussels, lawyers, interpreters,
                  experts, translators, secretaries, travel, hotels, per diems...

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • Martin Votruba
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
                    After Slovakia and Poland settled their ostiepok/oscypek controversy,
                    a new Central-European storm over rights to food labels is gathering
                    around Slovakia, this time concerning salami and sausages. Bratislava
                    applied for the registration of six types of salami, a type of
                    frankfurters, of klobasa, and of sausage (s~peka'c~ik). Warsaw wants
                    to register two similar types of salami. Prague is planning to
                    contest Warsaw's two applications, and Bratislava's application for
                    the right to all of those meat products.

                    The European Union registers traditional food products from many of
                    its members, which then translates to a status comparable to a
                    nationally-held trademark.