Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Great News for Slovak-Americans

  • flowerchild
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      Seems we have a few Punxsy natives on this list; I was born there and grew up in Anita...graduated PAHS in 1969.

      Roxana

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
        Hi everyone - just home from 3 weeks at Piestany Spa - pure heaven!

        Good News in Slovakia -

        Riding to the airport in the early morning hours a beautiful sight appeared against the sky -

        The new Appollo Bridge spanning the Danube in Bratislava - it is a gorgeous arched bridge, wide and lit like a pathway to heaven - truly lovely and a wonderful addition to the Bratislava skyline.

        My driver told us it had won many design awards including one from the US.

        Now the bad-sad news - those of you who loved Slovakia's perfect jewel - the venerable Thermia Palace in Piestany built as an Art Noveau gem in 1913 - it is sadly altered.
        A year long renovation which was not supposed to change a thing killed this special place.

        What was unique in the world is now just another hotel - they disneyfied it!!! The beautiful, welcoming reception area is now mostly taken up with a huge white boat-like desk that looks like a giant refrigerator.

        The cozy cafe where people from all over including many local people came to mingle is no more. It was renovated, big excitement when they found a hidden higher ceiling but it is now totally dominated by a large black boat-like bar - taking up one third of the room - imagine a bar in your living room with cash registers binging and glasses clinking. The room is very white and cold - they took out the cozy paneling and the wonderful wooden carved statue of Janosik for goodness sake. The carpets are gone, the comfy chairs have been replaced by the most awful furniture known to man - didn't anyone ever sit on it before they bought it - ugly, hard as a board and impossible to sit back in. What I miss the most are the charming art noveau lamps that were made of shades of blue stained glass.

        The prices for coffee and juice have gone up - not doubled, not tripled but quadrupled - local people can't afford to go there anymore

        The rooms are supposed to be redone in luxury style - but to me they are way overdone - packed with pillows and stuff til you feel overwhelmed - why did they hire an Austrian decorator for this Slovak treasure?

        This is a perfect example of "new and improved" which is definitely not! We heard that people left the hotel in droves. We stayed at the cozy old Pro Patria and liked it a lot

        The Thermia Palace gained 2 stars but lost its heart and soul. It was our
        "home away from home" for some 28 summers and now all we have are the beautiful memories. It is sad that it was sold to a foreign consortium - the Danubius chain who apparently doesn't value Slovak culture.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
          Greg, What year did Groundhog Day begin? Julia

          > My wife's great uncle, William Orlando Smith got Groundhound Day
          > declared a
          > National Holiday in his tenure as Pennsylvania Congressman.
          >
          > Puxsutawney Phil just announced it will be a short winter.
          >
          > Just for fun and adding an Eastern European twist this year.
          >
          > The announcement was made with Pennsylvania Polka playing in the
          > background.
          >
          > God bless William Orlando Smith!
          >
          > God bless Puxsutawney Phil!

        • ssultonia
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
            The first official trek to Gobbler's Knob was made in 1887.
            He saw his shadow and predicted 6 more weeks of winter. It wasn't
            until 1916 that the first films of the event were made.
            Regards,
            Bill (a Punxsutawney native)

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@...> wrote:

            > Greg, What year did Groundhog Day begin? Julia
            > >
            > > My wife's great uncle, William Orlando Smith got Groundhound Day
            > > declared a
            > > National Holiday in his tenure as Pennsylvania Congressman.
            > >
            > > Puxsutawney Phil just announced it will be a short winter.
            > >
            > > Just for fun and adding an Eastern European twist this year.
            > >
            > > The announcement was made with Pennsylvania Polka playing in the
            > > background.
            > >
            > > God bless William Orlando Smith!
            > >
            > > God bless Puxsutawney Phil!

          • Don Havlicek
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
              Punxsutawney Phil is an unusually adept prognosticator.
              If he sees his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks of winter.
              If he doesn't see his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks of winter.
              Terrific dude.
              Don Havlicek