Re: Leaving Iraq

  • John R. Gergely
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
      They went, they served!

      Good enough for me.

      Thanks Slovakia.

      They aren't be the first soldiers that considered combat pay as part of the
      equation for going in-country - myself included.

      Jack Gergely
      Newport News

      On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:20:11 -0000
      "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...> wrote:
      > > our small homeland showed its willingness
      > > to support Operation Iraq Freedom.
      >
      > It depends on whether homeland means the people or the cabinet. There
      > has been a split between popular will and the (now previous)
      > government's decision. According to opinion polls, a majority of the
      > Slovaks opposed their country's involvement in Iraq even before
      > Bratislava decided to send its troops there. Popular opposition to it
      > has grown steadily since.
      >
      > At the same time, as a criminal investigation has shown, soldiers were
      > bribing their superiors (at least one general was involved) in order
      > to be sent to Iraq because of the high compensation.
      >
      > Little enthusiasm for Operation Iraqi Freedom as such has has been
      > expressed in Bratislava. The (now previous) Dzurinda government made
      > the decision at the time when the White House was deciding whether to
      > allow Slovakia to join NATO, which the Dzurinda government saw as one
      > of its major goals. Bratislava had been turned down during the
      > preceding round of NATO enlargement.
      >

      > Martin
      >
      > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

    • bergschlawiner
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
        If anyone wants to see photos of the Slovak Army Engineer's vehicle I
        saw parked at Camp Doha in Kuwait in June 2004 go to the Photos and
        open the album.
        Art