Leaving Iraq

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2007
      According to the Qatar News Agency Slovakia has started pulling its
      soldiers out of Iraq. Premier Fico, elected earlier in 2006, had the
      pullout as part of his campaign. The news report is below.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      x x x

      Slovakia/Iraq, Jan 16 (QNA) -- Slovakia has started withdrawing its
      troops from Iraq, the country's defense minister said today. Slovakia
      has about 100 troops in Iraq, stationed in Hillah in the Polish sector
      about 60 miles south of Baghdad. The troops were deployed in 2003 and
      are mostly involved in dismantling land mines.

      The first part of our unit including its equipment has left its base
      and moved to kuwait, Defense Minister Frantisek Kasicky told
      reporters. He did not specify the number of soldiers involved in the
      initial pullout.

      The second part of the contingent will leave Iraq in late January or
      early February and the troops will stay in Kuwait for a short time to
      prepare weapons and equipment for transport.

      Prime minister Robert Fico had previously said his country would pull
      its troops from Iraq early this year. Kasicky also said that 11
      Slovak servicemen will remain behind at the headquarters of the US-led
      coalition and as part of a NATO mission tasked with training Iraq's
      military.

      Slovak troops will leave two mine-clearing vehicles to Iraqi troops,
      but the government will consider whether to send more instructors to
      train local personnel to operate them, Kasicky said. He did not
      elaborate further. Four Slovak soldiers have died in Iraq, one in a
      bombing and three in a blast at an ammunitions dump.
    • KD7EER
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
        No matter how small the Slovak contingent in Iraq was/is, our small homeland showed its willingness to support Operation Iraq Freedom.

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
          > our small homeland showed its willingness
          > to support Operation Iraq Freedom.

          It depends on whether homeland means the people or the cabinet. There
          has been a split between popular will and the (now previous)
          government's decision. According to opinion polls, a majority of the
          Slovaks opposed their country's involvement in Iraq even before
          Bratislava decided to send its troops there. Popular opposition to it
          has grown steadily since.

          At the same time, as a criminal investigation has shown, soldiers were
          bribing their superiors (at least one general was involved) in order
          to be sent to Iraq because of the high compensation.

          Little enthusiasm for Operation Iraqi Freedom as such has has been
          expressed in Bratislava. The (now previous) Dzurinda government made
          the decision at the time when the White House was deciding whether to
          allow Slovakia to join NATO, which the Dzurinda government saw as one
          of its major goals. Bratislava had been turned down during the
          preceding round of NATO enlargement.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • John R. Gergely
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
            They went, they served!

            Good enough for me.

            Thanks Slovakia.

            They aren't be the first soldiers that considered combat pay as part of the
            equation for going in-country - myself included.

            Jack Gergely
            Newport News

            On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:20:11 -0000
            "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...> wrote:
            > > our small homeland showed its willingness
            > > to support Operation Iraq Freedom.
            >
            > It depends on whether homeland means the people or the cabinet. There
            > has been a split between popular will and the (now previous)
            > government's decision. According to opinion polls, a majority of the
            > Slovaks opposed their country's involvement in Iraq even before
            > Bratislava decided to send its troops there. Popular opposition to it
            > has grown steadily since.
            >
            > At the same time, as a criminal investigation has shown, soldiers were
            > bribing their superiors (at least one general was involved) in order
            > to be sent to Iraq because of the high compensation.
            >
            > Little enthusiasm for Operation Iraqi Freedom as such has has been
            > expressed in Bratislava. The (now previous) Dzurinda government made
            > the decision at the time when the White House was deciding whether to
            > allow Slovakia to join NATO, which the Dzurinda government saw as one
            > of its major goals. Bratislava had been turned down during the
            > preceding round of NATO enlargement.
            >

            > Martin
            >
            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          • bergschlawiner
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
              If anyone wants to see photos of the Slovak Army Engineer's vehicle I
              saw parked at Camp Doha in Kuwait in June 2004 go to the Photos and
              open the album.
              Art