book review about Romani in Slovakia

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2007
      Hi All,

      Came across a book review in today's Boston Globe about _Zoli_ by Colum
      McCann (no doubt it is also reviewed elsewhere):
      http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2007/01/14/gypsy_serenade/

      The two little blurbs on the article read:
      In Colum McCann's novel about a Romani singer-poet, the melodies of a
      vanished world linger.
      and
      The book gives us a tapestry of an entire culture, one shrouded and then
      marginalized into near extinction.

      The review mentions that the book opens in the 1930s.

      If anyone reads the book, let the rest of us know what you think of it!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2007
        S-W Members:

        Never having asked for help in translating before, I really need help
        with a letter from Slovakia.

        It was mailed 17 December and I just returned home last night to
        receive it.

        He went to Bratislava with his girl friend to go shopping for presents
        -- dos~lo mu zle bolela ho hlava. Vtom ako to posedal tej (sp?)
        frajerky (?) v tam spadol rozbil si hlavu a bol lez vedomie. Vnemocnici
        imu operovali hlavu, lez~is pod pristrojama nic~ nevie, tak zajtra rano
        tam maju prist' potom budu viediet' viac povedat. Tak sme stoho vseci
        v z~iali a zronene' Dali sme aj a svetu' oms~u za Boz~iu pomc a
        uzdavenie.

        I understood that he had a bad headache and fell -- hurt (?) his head
        and was unconscious (?)

        This is a 22 year old grandson of my cousin.

        Also, what is the number to use when calling into Slovakia?

        Thank you for any help. Julia Matchett