Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Paul Newman

  • George Sirko
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 30, 2006
      Martin,
      One is probably a typo. They had Czechoslovakia spelled wrong in the entry [Mother: Theresa Felzer b: CA 1898 in Checkoslovakia]Thank you for responding.
      George

      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 30, 2008
        Jack,

        Thanks Jack.

        You must have lived across town. We listened to KDKA when I lived in
        Pittsburgh from 1941 to 1946,

        I was too young at the time to know about KQV.

        Frank

        _____

        From: Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
        [mailto:Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com]
        On
        Behalf Of Caye Caswick
        Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:54 PM
        To: Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

        Martin and Ben:

        My grandmother came over in 1921 -- mom said gram perfected her English
        via
        radio (seems as if most internet sites say that broadcast radio was
        around
        beginning in the early 1920's) -- and learned to read with the newspaper,
        probably once my own mother could help her do so -- mom was born in 1927.
        Gram married in 1925 -- and I highly doubt the old cabinet radio I
        remember
        them owning was something gram bought before she got married, probably
        not
        until after they had been married a while, so I'm betting she was here
        almost 10 years before her English was any good on the street.

        Caye

        --- On Tue, 9/30/08, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo.

        From: Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. <mailto:votrubam%40yahoo.com> com>
        To: Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 9:45 AM

        > my own students thought/felt, but they were studying in Slovakia.

        Not a contribution to your query, Ben, just a comment on how the
        immigrants learned English around the turn of the 19th and 20th
        centuries. They arrived without ever having heard English (hard to
        imagine today). There's a world of difference in the quality of
        foreign language acquisition between having even a year of language
        training and nothing, or merely physiological exposure to the language
        through music, subtitled films, and some TV programming at a younger
        age. Once they were in the US, it depended greatly on age: whether
        they got to go to school here plus the universal physiological turning
        point for languages that is the age of 12-14. If people arrived
        before the age of 12-14 and went to school, they mostly became fluent
        native speakers of English. Things began to go more slowly with no
        schooling and the later after that age the immigrant arrived.

        Another factor was gender, which translated to employment. Women were
        more likely to take care of the family or run boarding houses (often
        both), i.e., to have remained within the immigrant community all day
        long, and those learned less. There was no radio, TV then, so their
        exposure to English was minimal (again, hard to imagine today). Most
        men spent up to 12 hours a day at work, so they got some "interactive
        training" there, although it was sometimes in poor English, because
        they mostly spoke to other immigrants at work.

        Some Slovak (and other) industrial immigrant communities (whether
        people lived in them was another factor in language acquisition)
        remained so large and "stationary" that a segment of their women began
        to be proficient in English with the advent of TV.