Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Cross the border anywhere

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
      Martin,
      this is wonderful news. While the border check was not that time consuming,
      it did affect one who rented a car. If one rented a car, the car itself
      needed to meet the qualifications of crossing borders and had its own special set
      of papers to cross. This will be great not to have to worry about crossing
      borders with a rental.
      Noreen

      votrubam@... writes:

      > It was
      > put in effect in 1995, more countries have joined since -- you travel
      > without a single border check from Portugal to Vienna. Slovakia and
      > its neighbors are merely being added to the system.

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
        > of papers to cross. This will be great not to have to
        > worry about crossing borders with a rental.

        It remains to be seen, Noreen, whether the rental agencies change
        their policies. An open border does not say anything about that.
        It'll be comparable to the laws about taking liquor across state lines
        in the US -- there's no one to check but that's not to say that it
        must therefore be legal. So, if the rental agencies don't change
        their policies, people will be able to take the cars to a country the
        agency doesn't want them to but it won't be legal and if something
        happens, there may be consequences.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • gergely
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
          I have a feeling that the new rules on EU border crossings will be for EU
          citizens only. I would be surprized if they apply to US citizens. Does
          anyone know for sure?

          Jack Gergely
          Newport News

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
            Whoops,
            I should have read this note before sending my previous. Guess my
            assumption was wrong.
            Excuse please

            Jack Gergely
            Newport News

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
              An update on this thread -- Slovakia and several other countries have
              now received software that should help them dismantle all the border
              checks in the forseeable future. If it is implemented in time and if
              Slovakia meets another deadline, all the checkpoints at Slovakia's
              borders except with Ukraine will be closed and people, regardless of
              their citizenship or residence, will be able to cross the borders
              anywhere, on the road or in open country.

              The action was originally scheduled for this fall. It's been held up
              by the European Union's software problems. It is now estimated that
              it could start between December 2007 and March 2008. Americans'
              passports will be checked only at the airport upon arrival and then
              again at departure while they stay within the check-free zone that
              currently stretches from Portugal to Austria, Germany, and and the
              Nordic countries, and will then be extended to include Slovakia, the
              Czech R., Hungary, Poland, and the Baltic countries.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Paul Guzowski
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 28, 2007
                Ahojte Martin et al,
                Yes, Slovakia is in the process of fulfilling the requirements of the
                Schengen agreement and the government recently announced these
                preparations should be complete by sometime in June. Since Slovakia is
                an EU border nation, what this really means is sealing the border with
                Ukraine to the satisfaction of the EU so that unauthorized migration
                cannot occur. Uncontrolled border crossings with Austria and the Czech
                Republic should happen in the beginning of 2008. The borders with
                Hungary and Poland will not be completely free unless they too have met
                the Schengen agreement requirements. Once this process is complete, one
                will only have to endure the border immigration checks upon entering the
                EU the first time and then further travel within the EU will be easy.
                The next step will be entrance to the Euro-zone with adoption of the
                single currency "Euro" in 2009.

                Paul in Bratislava
                Homebase in Carlisle, PA
              • Paul Guzowski

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 13, 2007
                      An update on this thread -- According to reports quoting unofficial
                      but multiple diplomatic sources in Brussels, Slovakia has been, as yet
                      informally, OK'd to join the Schengen Agreement, the European
                      no-border-passport-checks area.

                      If the current Schengen countries make sufficient progress with the
                      software problems in expanding their database, passport checks could
                      be abolished on all of Slovakia's borders except with Ukraine in early
                      2008. Inspectors from the European Union visited Slovakia recently
                      and their draft report is said to be positive. All customs checks
                      between Slovakia and its neighbors except Ukraine were already
                      abolished in May 2004. Slovakia and its current non-Schengen
                      neighbors (Hungary, Poland, Czech R.) hope that their entry date could
                      be Jan. 1, 2008, or even sooner, but Brussels keeps saying that
                      software problems might delay it by weeks, perhaps till March 2008.
                      The formal decision is to be made on November 8, 2007, which also used
                      to be the original anticipated time for the passport checks to be dropped.

                      Membership in the Schengen Agreement also means that everyone
                      (regardless of citizenship) can cross the border at any point, not
                      just on maintained roads. The Schengen members' mutual borders are no
                      different than state lines in the US. In Slovakia's case that would
                      be its whole border except the 62-mile stretch with Ukraine. The
                      current roadside buildings used by Slovakia's and its neighbors'
                      immigration officers are to be either demolished, or used for other
                      purposes.

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                    • J Michutka
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 13, 2007
                        On Jul 13, 2007, at 8:37 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:

                        > The
                        > current roadside buildings used by Slovakia's and its neighbors'
                        > immigration officers are to be either demolished,

                        What a pity--some of them are quite new.

                        > or used for other
                        > purposes.

                        Do they have drive-thru Taco Bells yet? Just a thought....

                        Julie Michutka, hoping to utilize the open border next year
                        jmm@...