Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak scholars please help.

  • David
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hi: There is the engine that pulls the coal cars into the mine. It is
      called a "mine motor."
      Dave

      At 06:04 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:

      >This is what happens when languages come in contact, specifically
      >when Slovak came to the U.S. I know that, in my own family, we were
      >almost shameless about it. English words were taken into Slovak and
      >then had Slovak endings slapped onto them.
      >
      >I'm guessing that NOMODRI is the plural of NOMODOR, which is how
      >Slovaks would have heard "no motor". I don't know anything about
      >mining, so does anyone know if there's a piece of equipment (like a
      >coal car or something) that's called that, even informally? He says
      >that he didn't know what was going on, doesn't remember, even when
      >the NOMODRI drove (this verb is used with vehicles) him out of the mine.
      >
      >I hope this helps,

      >Our friend Mario is trying to translate a line from his relative who
      >disappeared in America circa 1913. What is interesting from a
      >linguistic point of view, is that here was a man aged 32 when he
      >immigrated in 1912. He was very literate, but he quickly adopted a
      >sort of Slovacized set of English words and used them in his
      >correspondence to his wife back home. It makes translation difficult.
      >
      >Mario is trying to figure out the first word I have in large caps.
      >He can't tell if it is another Slovacized English word. The second
      >word in caps is a good example of this.
      >
      >... ledva vimohli zema mrtveho vitahly ale ja som o tom nevedel, ked
      >ma NOMODRI vivezly ven ZMAJNY (from the mine ... resp. out of the mine )

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2006
        That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of one.

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
          Here's an old photo I found on Google images: < http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en >.

          >>> drav@... 12/04/06 10:47 PM >>>

          At 06:04 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:

          >This is what happens when languages come in contact, specifically
          >when Slovak came to the U.S. I know that, in my own family, we were
          >almost shameless about it. English words were taken into Slovak and
          >then had Slovak endings slapped onto them.
          >
          >I'm guessing that NOMODRI is the plural of NOMODOR, which is how
          >Slovaks would have heard "no motor". I don't know anything about
          >mining, so does anyone know if there's a piece of equipment (like a
          >coal car or something) that's called that, even informally? He says
          >that he didn't know what was going on, doesn't remember, even when
          >the NOMODRI drove (this verb is used with vehicles) him out of the mine.
          >
          >I hope this helps,

          >Our friend Mario is trying to translate a line from his relative who
          >disappeared in America circa 1913. What is interesting from a
          >linguistic point of view, is that here was a man aged 32 when he
          >immigrated in 1912. He was very literate, but he quickly adopted a
          >sort of Slovacized set of English words and used them in his
          >correspondence to his wife back home. It makes translation difficult.
          >
          >Mario is trying to figure out the first word I have in large caps.
          >He can't tell if it is another Slovacized English word. The second
          >word in caps is a good example of this.
          >
          >... ledva vimohli zema mrtveho vitahly ale ja som o tom nevedel, ked
          >ma NOMODRI vivezly ven ZMAJNY (from the mine ... resp. out of the mine )

        • ssultonia
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
            In some mining areas I think they continued to call the motorized
            car a "mule" even after the real mules were put out to pasture.
            Bill

            > Here's an old photo I found on Google images: <
            http://images.google.com/imgres?
            imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.
            jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&
            h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=13
            0&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%
            26lr%3Dlang_en >.

            > That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of
            one.

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
              Thanks, Helen -- that's quite a web site. I sent it to Mario. What did we think a "no-motor" would be -- perhaps something drawn by mules?

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real mule?

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Quite possibly.

                  >>> drav@... 12/05/06 2:47 PM >>>

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Or a cart hitched up to a mule.

                    >>> drav@... 12/05/06 3:05 PM >>>
                    Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real mule?

                    In some mining areas I think they continued to call the motorized
                    car a "mule" even after the real mules were put out to pasture.
                    Bill

                    > Here's an old photo I found on Google images: <
                    http://images.google.com/imgres?
                    imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.
                    jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&
                    h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=13
                    0&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%
                    26lr%3Dlang_en >.

                    > That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of
                    one.

                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                      What we need is a lexicon of Coal-Cracker Slov-English. "No-motor" does suggest a cart drawn by mules or people. Maybe Mario can give us the context. His relative was badly injured in a mine disaster and was writing home to describe it.

                      Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real mule?

                      In some mining areas I think they continued to call the motorized
                      car a "mule" even after the real mules were put out to pasture.
                      Bill

                      > Here's an old photo I found on Google images: <
                      http://images.google.com/imgres?
                      imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.
                      jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&
                      h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=13
                      0&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%
                      26lr%3Dlang_en >.

                      > That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of
                      one.

                    • ssultonia
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                        Geez. It was slang used by Slovak miners,Italian miners, Irish
                        miners, American miners - nothing more, nothing less.
                        Bill

                        > Or a cart hitched up to a mule.

                        > Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real
                        mule?

                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                          >... ledva vimohli zema mrtveho vitahly ale ja som o tom
                          > nevedel, ked ma NOMODRI vivezly ven ZMAJNY

                          I'd say that just like _zmajny_ is z majny "from the mine," _nomodri_
                          is na motori "on the motor."

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        • Andrea Vangor
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                            Martin, I have the original letter scanned, from Mario. Would you like to see it? Your suggestion sounds good but it might help to see the actual writing.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                              Please post it for all to see. "O"s and "a"s can look very much alike in handwriting.

                              >>> drav@... 12/06/06 9:18 AM >>>

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                There is a clever one (although it doesn't
                                specifically refer to mining lingo) -- something like
                                Coal Speak -- if you Google "coal speak" I'm sure
                                you'll find it -- it has a "dictionary" of
                                pronounciation and definitions (very clever) -- also
                                some excellent sleighing routes (using various fun
                                things you can find around the home/yard as vehicles)
                                -- check it out for fun.

                                Caye

                                Have a burning question?
                              • Martin Votruba
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                  > "O"s and "a"s can look very much alike in handwriting.

                                  I agree, Helen. I'm not basing my guess on handwriting, Andrea. My
                                  guess was not based on whether it's _no-_ or _na-_, it'll remain the
                                  same regardless of which of the two it is.

                                  It was not unusual for the Slovak-Americans to transcribe the Slovak
                                  [a] with the letter _o_. The American [o] in _not_, for example_,
                                  sounds like a transcription of the Slovak sound [a] to the Slovaks so
                                  it's not surprising that those more familiar with the English
                                  spelling, or not particularly good at spelling in either of the two
                                  languages, sometimes transcribed a Slovak word with an [a] with the
                                  letter _o_ in English.

                                  The reading _na motori_ both matches the use of the preposition _z_
                                  used in the preceding phrase _z majny_, and explains why the final
                                  sound is [i]: it is the case ending required by the preposition _na_
                                  in this construction, "I was unconscious (literally 'didn't know about
                                  that') when they pulled (literally: 'drove out/gave a ride out') me on
                                  a motor out of the mine."

                                  tanier - na tanieri
                                  majer - na majeri, etc.

                                  Martin

                                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                                • Andrea Vangor
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                    Yes, I have seen it and it is really funny. An under-appreciated corner of our culture.

                                    --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:

                                    > What we need is a lexicon of Coal-Cracker
                                    > Slov-English. "No-motor" does suggest a cart drawn
                                    > by mules or people. Maybe Mario can give us the
                                    > context. His relative was badly injured in a mine
                                    > disaster and was writing home to describe it.

                                  • Andrea Vangor
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                      I'd love to post it but Yahoo! seems to have forgotten who I am. I'll have to re-register, unless someone wants to post it for me.