Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak scholars please help.

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2006
      Well, that is a brilliant suggestion. I'll send it along. Thanks, Helen!

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hi: There is the engine that pulls the coal cars into the mine. It is
        called a "mine motor."
        Dave

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2006
          That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of one.

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
            Here's an old photo I found on Google images: < http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en >.

            >>> drav@... 12/04/06 10:47 PM >>>

            At 06:04 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:

            >This is what happens when languages come in contact, specifically
            >when Slovak came to the U.S. I know that, in my own family, we were
            >almost shameless about it. English words were taken into Slovak and
            >then had Slovak endings slapped onto them.
            >
            >I'm guessing that NOMODRI is the plural of NOMODOR, which is how
            >Slovaks would have heard "no motor". I don't know anything about
            >mining, so does anyone know if there's a piece of equipment (like a
            >coal car or something) that's called that, even informally? He says
            >that he didn't know what was going on, doesn't remember, even when
            >the NOMODRI drove (this verb is used with vehicles) him out of the mine.
            >
            >I hope this helps,

            >Our friend Mario is trying to translate a line from his relative who
            >disappeared in America circa 1913. What is interesting from a
            >linguistic point of view, is that here was a man aged 32 when he
            >immigrated in 1912. He was very literate, but he quickly adopted a
            >sort of Slovacized set of English words and used them in his
            >correspondence to his wife back home. It makes translation difficult.
            >
            >Mario is trying to figure out the first word I have in large caps.
            >He can't tell if it is another Slovacized English word. The second
            >word in caps is a good example of this.
            >
            >... ledva vimohli zema mrtveho vitahly ale ja som o tom nevedel, ked
            >ma NOMODRI vivezly ven ZMAJNY (from the mine ... resp. out of the mine )

          • ssultonia
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
              In some mining areas I think they continued to call the motorized
              car a "mule" even after the real mules were put out to pasture.
              Bill

              > Here's an old photo I found on Google images: <
              http://images.google.com/imgres?
              imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.
              jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&
              h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=13
              0&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%
              26lr%3Dlang_en >.

              > That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of
              one.

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                Thanks, Helen -- that's quite a web site. I sent it to Mario. What did we think a "no-motor" would be -- perhaps something drawn by mules?

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real mule?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Quite possibly.

                    >>> drav@... 12/05/06 2:47 PM >>>

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Or a cart hitched up to a mule.

                      >>> drav@... 12/05/06 3:05 PM >>>
                      Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real mule?

                      In some mining areas I think they continued to call the motorized
                      car a "mule" even after the real mules were put out to pasture.
                      Bill

                      > Here's an old photo I found on Google images: <
                      http://images.google.com/imgres?
                      imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.
                      jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&
                      h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=13
                      0&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%
                      26lr%3Dlang_en >.

                      > That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of
                      one.

                    • Andrea Vangor
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                        What we need is a lexicon of Coal-Cracker Slov-English. "No-motor" does suggest a cart drawn by mules or people. Maybe Mario can give us the context. His relative was badly injured in a mine disaster and was writing home to describe it.

                        Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real mule?

                        In some mining areas I think they continued to call the motorized
                        car a "mule" even after the real mules were put out to pasture.
                        Bill

                        > Here's an old photo I found on Google images: <
                        http://images.google.com/imgres?
                        imgurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/image/elkhorn7.
                        jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coaleducation.org/CoalHistory/tech2/e10.htm&
                        h=367&w=500&sz=80&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=aeUnCjq13Iqr0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=13
                        0&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522mine%2Bmotor%2522%26svnum%3D50%26hl%3Den%
                        26lr%3Dlang_en >.

                        > That sounds right. I'll try to find a photograph or drawing of
                        one.

                      • ssultonia
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                          Geez. It was slang used by Slovak miners,Italian miners, Irish
                          miners, American miners - nothing more, nothing less.
                          Bill

                          > Or a cart hitched up to a mule.

                          > Well, if the motorized car is a mule, what is the no-motor? A real
                          mule?

                        • Martin Votruba
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
                            >... ledva vimohli zema mrtveho vitahly ale ja som o tom
                            > nevedel, ked ma NOMODRI vivezly ven ZMAJNY

                            I'd say that just like _zmajny_ is z majny "from the mine," _nomodri_
                            is na motori "on the motor."

                            Martin

                            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                          • Andrea Vangor
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                              Martin, I have the original letter scanned, from Mario. Would you like to see it? Your suggestion sounds good but it might help to see the actual writing.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                Please post it for all to see. "O"s and "a"s can look very much alike in handwriting.

                                >>> drav@... 12/06/06 9:18 AM >>>

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                  There is a clever one (although it doesn't
                                  specifically refer to mining lingo) -- something like
                                  Coal Speak -- if you Google "coal speak" I'm sure
                                  you'll find it -- it has a "dictionary" of
                                  pronounciation and definitions (very clever) -- also
                                  some excellent sleighing routes (using various fun
                                  things you can find around the home/yard as vehicles)
                                  -- check it out for fun.

                                  Caye

                                  Have a burning question?
                                • Martin Votruba
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                    > "O"s and "a"s can look very much alike in handwriting.

                                    I agree, Helen. I'm not basing my guess on handwriting, Andrea. My
                                    guess was not based on whether it's _no-_ or _na-_, it'll remain the
                                    same regardless of which of the two it is.

                                    It was not unusual for the Slovak-Americans to transcribe the Slovak
                                    [a] with the letter _o_. The American [o] in _not_, for example_,
                                    sounds like a transcription of the Slovak sound [a] to the Slovaks so
                                    it's not surprising that those more familiar with the English
                                    spelling, or not particularly good at spelling in either of the two
                                    languages, sometimes transcribed a Slovak word with an [a] with the
                                    letter _o_ in English.

                                    The reading _na motori_ both matches the use of the preposition _z_
                                    used in the preceding phrase _z majny_, and explains why the final
                                    sound is [i]: it is the case ending required by the preposition _na_
                                    in this construction, "I was unconscious (literally 'didn't know about
                                    that') when they pulled (literally: 'drove out/gave a ride out') me on
                                    a motor out of the mine."

                                    tanier - na tanieri
                                    majer - na majeri, etc.

                                    Martin

                                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                                  • Andrea Vangor
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                      Yes, I have seen it and it is really funny. An under-appreciated corner of our culture.

                                      --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:

                                      > What we need is a lexicon of Coal-Cracker
                                      > Slov-English. "No-motor" does suggest a cart drawn
                                      > by mules or people. Maybe Mario can give us the
                                      > context. His relative was badly injured in a mine
                                      > disaster and was writing home to describe it.

                                    • Andrea Vangor
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 6, 2006
                                        I'd love to post it but Yahoo! seems to have forgotten who I am. I'll have to re-register, unless someone wants to post it for me.