extension on Ancestry.com

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2006
      Hi All,

      Ancestry.com is extending the free access to their hugely enlarged
      passenger manifest collection through the end of the year. If you have any
      immigrant relatives whom you have not yet found in the passenger lists, I
      encourage you to take advantage of this, esp. since an Ancestry
      subscription can be so expensive. Please note that for Ellis Island
      arrivals, Ancestry has done their own extraction/indexing, separate from
      that found at the Ellis Island website; this means that if a name was
      mis-read or mis-typed by the Ellis Island indexer and therefore unfindable
      by even a soundex search (like my relative whose name was mis-read as
      "Micntka"), you have a fresh chance of finding them on the Ancestry site.

      Don't forget to look for immigrant siblings of your immigrant ancestors;
      their manifest entry might have an item of info that isn't in your own
      ancestor's entry.

      I had some huge breakthroughs this past month thanks to the expanded
      passenger manifest database; and I have a few people that I still cannot
      find no matter what. And now I have more time to keep trying, free of cost.

      Go for it, and good luck!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...