Off topic -- computer warning

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
      I am assuming that Kim Komando is a reliable source.

      VUNLERABILITIES FOUND IN ADOBE READER AND ACROBAT
      Recently discovered flaws in Adobe Reader and Acrobat could cause the program to crash. Additionally, they could allow a hacker to take over an affected computer.

      This flaw affects Adobe Reader 7.0.0 through 7.0.8. It also affects both Standard and Professional versions of Acrobat 7.0.0 through 7.0.8. The flaw can only be exploited in Internet Explorer on Windows machines.

      Adobe is currently working on a patch. In the meantime you can use Firefox. Or you can use a workaround for Internet Explorer. Browse to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX. Delete AcroPDF.dll.

      The workaround will prevent PDF files from opening in Internet Explorer. If you click on a PDF link, you may be prompted to save the file on your hard drive. Or, a separate instance of Acrobat may open.

    • Bob and Elsa Pendleton
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
        Better yet -- avoid Adobe altogether. Foxit Reader is a terrific freeware application. It appears to do just about everything I want from Adobe Reader, it is faster to download and display PDF documents, and comes highly recommended by various reviews. I have been using it for several months without any problems.

        Here's their site: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

        Elsa Pendleton

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
          You can read about my St. JAMES BOOK
          at:http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/Stjames.htm
          Aand I have just released two new DVD's videos

          35th Anniversary of folklore group DETVA from DETVA, November 11,2006
          and
          50th Anniversary of folklore group JANOSIK from SVIT, November 18, 2006

          http://lindervideo.com/DVD/2006%20DVD%20FLYER.pdf

          SLOVAK CHRISTMAS IS AT:
          http://lindervideo.com/DVD/2006%20DVD%20FLYER.pdf

          VLADI
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Linder"

            http://www.slovakheritage.org/Christmas/christmas_home.htm

            > VLADI

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
              Thanks for the tip, I'm sold!

              Better yet -- avoid Adobe altogether. Foxit Reader is a terrific freeware application. It appears to do just about everything I want from Adobe Reader, it is faster to download and display PDF documents, and comes highly recommended by various reviews. I have been using it for several months without any problems.

              Here's their site: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

              Elsa Pendleton

            • maxine
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2006
                Thanks for the warning! Does this apply to the Adobe Pictures? My pictures are in their album. maxine sasala