Update - Pitt Slovak Festival, Party & Maryland

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2006
      The Pitt Slovak Festival Nov 5 was better than ever - thanks to Martin Votruba and Chris Metil!!!! Can't wait til next year!

      Ben Sorenson played the fujara and it was just like being at Detva Folk Festival - he was superb! He studied fujara in Ocova. Ben came with his wife Milka (from Slovakia) and their young son.

      The Party the night before was magnificent and we are already planning for next year - hope you will join us! It makes for a very special weekend - people came from Washington State, California, Tennessee, Illinois, Georgia and Connecticut!

      Jozef Ivaska, who performed at the Festival, also sang the next evening at Farther Larry Kulick's St.Joseph's Church in New Kensington to some 300 people and on Tuesday at the Chartiers Manor Nursing Home in McKees Rocks for some 60 residents and their families. He had the seniors singing into the mike and a few even got up to dance with him. The nursing home attendants were so enthusiastic and said they saw 5 residents smile who had never smiled before! Music truly is an international language!

      A final concert at Our Lady Queen of Peace Church in Middle River near Baltimore MD was a huge success with some 250 people of all ages and they gave Jozef a standing ovation. Father Jason Worley, the pastor, sang along with Jozef on one song and they are planning more for next Nov.The ladies of the parish put on a dessert buffet I have never seen the likes of. Father Jason is planning to do a series of ethnic dinners.

      if anyone wants contact info just e mail me direct.

      helene