Re: Ukraine Translation

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
      > English name for the Ukrainian name of Charkiw?

      The preferred English spelling is _Kharkiv_ today; English sources
      used to spell it _Kharkov_, based on Russian, in the past and some
      still do. Rubel is Russian currency (and a tiny hamlet in Belarus).

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2006
        Dear Martin,

        Your knowledge of Slovakia will never be questioned.
        You have a nice wit and I love the observation about
        "rubel". I always thought it only a currency.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

        > > English name for the Ukrainian name of Charkiw?
        >
        > The preferred English spelling is _Kharkiv_ today;
        > English sources
        > used to spell it _Kharkov_, based on Russian, in the
        > past and some
        > still do. Rubel is Russian currency (and a tiny
        > hamlet in Belarus).
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • David
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
          Thank you Martin. The name Charkiw is a surname of a Ukrainian
          family. They are sort of well known in New York Ukrainian society. I
          was just wondering if it had an English translation. But as you
          pointed out, it might have originated from the town or city of where
          these people lived generations ago?
          Dave

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
            The standard Ukrainian name for this city is Kharkiv. English tends to use the Russian version, which is Kharkov.

            Helen

            >>> humblebe@... 11/11/06 4:44 PM >>>
            Not quite Slovak, but kind of close. What is the English name for the
            Ukrainian name of Charkiw? Could it be Rubel, by chance?
            Thanks for any help in this matter.
            Dave